Anyone headed to Colorado Unit 21/30?

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone headed up to 21 or 30 this weekend? I spent a three days of my labor day weekend as well as a few overnight'ers scouting this summer up in 21/30 trying to fill my archery elk/rifle bear tag. I got to know the area and what questions I needed to ask the Warden when I got into cell reception again. I have never hunted these units but the draw was not friendly to me this year so Im an OTC/leftover chaser in 2018 haha

I made some good calls and some good contacts for locations to hunt when I got home, and plan to hunt em all weekend this weekend (Thurs night to Sunday) and next if I have a tag to fill. I learned (by calls and a little experience) the private land/public is hard to navigate through if you dont know what your doing so I got that squared away as well. The problem is my brother and buddy both bailed today. So......is anyone headed up for bear or elk this weekend? Im not suggesting we hunt or camp together but meet ups are always cool and Im willing to share some spots a few other buddies have harvested large bulls from, and a bear last year....Im also open to hearing other spots to check out!

Maybe my expectations of this hunt are too high....I was told the cow hunting here is really good and there are bears everywhere. Im first and foremost a meat gatherer but dont pass up a bull if the opportunity arises. I did see 8 elk the full day I hunted a few weekends back, 5 of them in bow range but couldn't close the deal. I didn't see a bear at all. Unfortunately with two under 2 at home and a mama who needs the help I cant spend the time I normally would during September seasons to fill my tags so I got my fingers crossed for this weekend! If your headed up there or have some friendly advice Im open ears.

Oh wait I didnt mention "not asking for your honey hole" or "didnt get my ass off the couch to scout so I hope one of your did to tell me your secrets". If you read my post hopefully this last tid bit got you to smile or chuckle!

davsco

WKR
yeah i'm doing 21, 22, 30, 31, 32 for elk first rifle, starting oct 13, hoping to get there up to a week early to acclimate and get some scouting in. driving out from way east in virginia, first elk hunt.

best of luck to you and i certainly won't turn down any tidbits you may glean from your scouting and hunting. never been there in NW (hiked the rockies 20+ years ago) so really starting from scratch. will just be car camping and planning on hiking in a few miles from various roads to hopefully get some opportunities, can't wait, just a hair over a month now!!

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Davsco, thx for the response! I’m headed out right after work Thursday, bout a 4.5 hour drive for me to get there. I’m happy to throw PM’s back and forth on some spots.....just FYI if you didn’t know there was a large fire in 21 not long ago. I spent some time in ther burn area,nothing grown back yet that I saw as it hasn’t had much rain and very dry so I would pass on that plan if you have it. Who knows it could be great with my luck haha

Hey Davsco, thx for the response! I’m headed out right after work Thursday, bout a 4.5 hour drive for me to get there. I’m happy to throw PM’s back and forth on some spots.....just FYI if you didn’t know there was a large fire in 21 not long ago. I spent some time in ther burn area,nothing grown back yet that I saw as it hasn’t had much rain and very dry so I would pass on that plan if you have it. Who knows it could be great with my luck haha
I saw your post and was gonna ask specifically if you had checked that burn out. I'll be out there in October as well and it was one of the places on our list to glass during scouting. Good to know it hasn't greened up any yet!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How did your hunt go?

clarson96

FNG
Hey guys!
I'm currently planning my first ever elk hunt. I am from Wisconsin and I'm trying to put as many hours into research and E-Scouting as I can. I was curious about what access to water is like in OTC Unit 21 for a potential back country hunt. Any thoughts or good pieces of advice? Thanks!

brushape

WKR
Hey guys!
I'm currently planning my first ever elk hunt. I am from Wisconsin and I'm trying to put as many hours into research and E-Scouting as I can. I was curious about what access to water is like in OTC Unit 21 for a potential back country hunt. Any thoughts or good pieces of advice? Thanks!

Did you even look at a map of that unit in your hours of w scouting before you typed this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarson96

FNG
Did you even look at a map of that unit in your hours of w scouting before you typed this ?

I have yet to put in hours of E-Scouting and just noticed that it was pretty arid when I looked at maps. That’s why I wanted to ask to see what others did for water before I spent a bunch of time looking into that unit. Thanks for the kind reply @brushape 😉 😅

Hnthrdr

WKR
And so the cycle continues… lol the whole state is pretty arid, I recommend looking at maps of watersheds in the unit you want to hunt. Then come out in the summer, buy a couple tanks of gas and some Busch lattes and hike to said spot to check for water, maybe eat at a couple restaurants… it’s the only way for poor colorado mountain towns to survive

brushape

WKR
I’ll just save you some effort there is zero backcountry and nowhere far enough from a road or oil well where you’d need to worry about having more than a liter or 2 of water in your pack

clarson96

FNG
And so the cycle continues… lol the whole state is pretty arid, I recommend looking at maps of watersheds in the unit you want to hunt. Then come out in the summer, buy a couple tanks of gas and some Busch lattes and hike to said spot to check for water, maybe eat at a couple restaurants… it’s the only way for poor colorado mountain towns to survive
Thanks for the tip!

clarson96

FNG
I’ll just save you some effort there is zero backcountry and nowhere far enough from a road or oil well where you’d need to worry about having more than a liter or 2 of water in your pack

That's super helpful to know, thanks!