Anyone heading in the outdoors over Christmas?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For me, if we get snow, I usually start looking for big deer on the winter range if I get some days off over the holidays.

It's a great time to get some practice with your optics and maybe find a unit that is producing a few outsized bucks.

Anyone else have a tradition?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ice fishing season is about to start, we have about 6 inches in one area. Hopefully there will be good ice soon so we can get out.

There are deer wintering close to the lake, a lot of times we bring stuff with us to watch them.

IAHNTR

WKR
Late muzzy season here in Iowa. So will be heading out with my brother and father this weekend. Always a blast! As well as sledding with the nieces and nephews over Christmas.

Craig4791

WKR
Not a tradition but I'm leaving Thursday for Arizona to hunt OTC Mule deer and Coues for 5 days.Never hunted in AZ but I'm excited to get out there with a tag in hand and give it all I've got.

Ill be testing some new gear as well. New swaro el's and swaro HD spotter also the swaro travel CT tripod and MegaTarp with stove. Should be a great time as long as we don't have any troubles with the illegals down there ( we will be hunting within 20-30 miles of the boarder).

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have fun everyone,

Craig, let us know on the testing of the optics. Will be interesting. With those HD's, you could see them coming from 20 miles.

Hardstalk

WKR
For me, if we get snow, I usually start looking for big deer on the winter range if I get some days off over the holidays.

It's a great time to get some practice with your optics and maybe find a unit that is producing a few outsized bucks.

Anyone else have a tradition?

Same as above. Attempting to locate winter bucks before shed season close to home. Only currently have 1-2 areas to scour over and see if anything has moved in. Each year i have been getting closer and closer to where they actually shed. This will be the third season.

Mckinnon

WKR
Gonna hunt bear with the little brother, doesn't get much better than that for me. I am also gonna "steal" my dads camera since it is much nicer than mine and try to find some nice bucks to "shoot".

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bear hunt?
that shows how much I don't know about bears. I thought they'd be sleeping by now.

mtnkid85

WKR
Climbing the day before with a close friend and the ladies then skiing christmas day with the family! As soon as the family leaves Im going out to concentrate on my wolf tag! Still real excited for that guy.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
we usually go calling and snowmobiling over Christmas break. Nothing like riding on 10 ft of snow on the continental divide with no one else around.

Mckinnon

WKR
Bear hunt?
that shows how much I don't know about bears. I thought they'd be sleeping by now.

As far as I know, which is not very far, black bears don't truly hibernate. It is called torpor. And where we are hunting them its not very cold so they are still pretty active. That being said we usually just have a bear tag in pocket during deer season in case we see one. We didn't this year so now we are going out after just bear, which I have never done. I will keep you all posted in the bear forum though.

doin1

FNG
Climbing the day before with a close friend and the ladies then skiing christmas day with the family! As soon as the family leaves Im going out to concentrate on my wolf tag! Still real excited for that guy.
Good luck. Hope you kill many!!

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
Have a late season cow tag here in CO which starts this Saturday and then head to AZ after the New Year for a week to chase Mulies for a week!

Ozz08

WKR
I'll be in the marsh trying to smack greenheaded mallards. Been having an awesome season here in CA! And the migrators are just starting to show up so its going to get red hot! I was going to go against everything I live for this time of year and go to AZ for mule deer but changed my mind. there is no way I am going a full week in late december/January not hunting ducks!

Late season waterfowl split here dec 30, 30th jan 1st 2nd I'll be out in my boat laying the smack down on some canadian migrating mallards and big ol greater canadas!

Ozz08

WKR
Late season waterfowl split here dec 30, 30th jan 1st 2nd I'll be out in my boat laying the smack down on some canadian migrating mallards and big ol greater canadas!

I remember when we had split seasons here and 5 duck limits. Now our season goes from the 3rd Saturday in oct. and extends for 100 straight days(usually lands on the last weekend in jan. and we now have a 7 duck and 8 geese daily limit. The liberal limits and long season is awesome but I sometimes wish we would go back to split seasons and 5 ducks again. Seems like the hunting was better back then.