Anyone here deal with back pain???

So I've had lower back issues in the past but have been seeing a chiropractor regularly and doing strengthening excercises for my back to reduce the chances of any issues while hunting.

I spent most of Monday and Tuesday doing maintenance on my truck and yesterday afternoon my lower back caught and went into major spasms. Immediatley went to the chiro and got on ice and ibupropen, but am sitting here now looking like the hunchback of ND trying to get it to let go. Meanwhile, the rear diff is drained and the cover is off, and I need to button things up from the belt change and still change oil and trans fluid. My plan was to leave this weekend but that is up in the air.

Does anyone have any tricks that might expedite the healing? Maybe a shot (whiskey included), stretch or something to move this along???
Strengthen your core, and get back in or stay in the gym. Do squats, do deadlifts, and other back-strengthening exercises. Strengthen your core some more. And get flexible. Some folks shy away from physical activities in fear of reinjury, but any PT and MD worth their weight in salt would advise you to stay strong and flexible.

motion is lotion. Stronger is longer.

cjthomas2

FNG
Bulging disk and 3 stress fractures in college is the cause of my back pain. The only thing that ever really helped is to stretch your back and legs every day and to lift weights. strong core stabilizes the back. stretching has helped out a lot while not being able to go to the gym the last month.

4rcgoat

WKR
As a carpenter for more than 20 years ive dealt with all sorts of pain. Sciatica was by far the worse,pills dont do a thing. Discovered barbell training 2 years ago and it changed everything, doing deadlifts with proper form has kept the pain away so far,my back has never felt better.

If you get a solid evidence based PT you will be in good hands. Mostly what people need is to get strong especially in the core like many people have written throughout. It’s important to really strengthen the core and to have a properly fitted backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone may have touched on it but an inversion table can be very helpful for your lower back. I had lower back issues for years and since using this it has made a huge difference. However I have thoracic issues from an injury and it doesn't seem to help with that.

My case was unique in that I had no issues of arthritis, bone spurs, just the herniated disk, just none of the normal maladies of not taking care of my body. Case in point, for my PT test I could smoke must of the young guys in my section on any run. For my age, I had to 18 minutes to complete the run, with nothing to prove to anyone, I would do it 15 minutes. Don't let your pride and ego kill you.

I have pretty much the same exact back injury as you. I was curious in general what the diet plan the doctor recommended for you was. Less processed food, sugar, sat fats?

Thanks

So I've had lower back issues in the past but have been seeing a chiropractor regularly and doing strengthening excercises for my back to reduce the chances of any issues while hunting.

I spent most of Monday and Tuesday doing maintenance on my truck and yesterday afternoon my lower back caught and went into major spasms. Immediatley went to the chiro and got on ice and ibupropen, but am sitting here now looking like the hunchback of ND trying to get it to let go. Meanwhile, the rear diff is drained and the cover is off, and I need to button things up from the belt change and still change oil and trans fluid. My plan was to leave this weekend but that is up in the air.

Does anyone have any tricks that might expedite the healing? Maybe a shot (whiskey included), stretch or something to move this along???

I had the same issues (I have rheumatoid arthritis and a fat/lazy desk job). I started doing classic calisthenics (including wrestler's bridge) and classic dumbbell weights (Turkish get-up, military press, kettlebell swing,etc). The pain, aches, and tightness evaporated.

Ta406

FNG
Search out Dr. Stuart McGill. He specializes in back injuries and deals with alot of elite athletes. His program has helped me a lot in dealing with my back issues.

In addition to the ones posted here, I'd recommend turmeric curcumin supplements. Amazon has excellent, affordable ones. Good luck on your quest.

Didn't see it mentioned but staying hydrated keeps your spinal discs spongy; I feel significantly more pressure/pain in my joints all around but especially my back when not keeping up with water intake.

As for hunting, I spent about 15-20 mins at night stretching my hip flexors because hiking with a heavy pack tends to make them tighten up, bringing intense back pain the next day.

annaang

FNG
I went to the Osteopathic practitioner instead of the chiropractor to help with my lower back. I have pretty serious lower back pain that also causes me a headache too. however, after 2 years I feel a difference.

A deep tissue massage. Muscle relaxant from a dr. Your doing the rest already.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Just dropping in to say:

If your core isn't strong enough yet, do not go into squats/deadlifts until you build some core/posture strength first. Or start with really low weight and focus on keeping your core (including ass/hamstrings) tight during the motion. Many people with bad backs have bad posture and they go to lift and cannot keep a flat back while squatting or deadlifting. This can make the problem worse because they tend to perform those movements with their quads instead of their ass and hams.

The covid has been killing my back. I went from a 25% desk job to nearly 100%. Lots of ibuprofen, stretches and exercises with not much relief yet.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Glad to see this thread is going strong. My back has been doing great, in spite of not doing everything I should be doing. However, regular stretching and core work makes the most difference for me.

Kilboars

WKR
Strengthen your core and get more flexible and read this book.

Oh yeah, and have a beer and chill.

kleinpm

FNG
I didnt read the entire thread so maybe this has already been mentioned.

Buy Treat Your Own Back and Pain Free. These books have kept me from being crippled with back pain.

Patrick

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

You cant fix a weak back and trunk with a chiropractor or physical therapy. I have 5 herniated discs in my lumbar region and the best advice I EVER received was from an ortho doc. He told me I better squat and deadlift or wouldnt walk past my 50s. I would also strongly recommend yoga a few times a week.