Anyone here have plantar fasciitis?

My daughter is in miserable pain with this and I'm wondering if the custom insoles actually work (so she has an alternative to surgery). Thanks for any assistance.

rayporter

WKR
i got a pair of cheap copies of the customs off of some gip joint catalog [like DR leaonards] for 20 bucks and they cured me, it took a few months but for sure worked. if i ever think the pain is coming back i put them back in for a week.

these are solid plastic and hurt a lot when you first start to use them. it feels like you are walking on a golf ball for a few weeks.

SDHNTR

WKR
In my experience, the custom orthotics were just a short term fix unless you commit to them in every shoe you own. Not practical for me. The long term fix is to work on flexibility of the calves and gradual strengthening of the feet.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
How is that accomplished, the woman is on her feet a lot! She works in a commercial kitchen and raising twin 3 yr olds.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm dealing with it now. The thing that has helped most so far is rolling a frozen water bottle under my feet for 15-30 minutes each night. I'm on my feet all day too, and it's going to be a long road getting over it. I do think that putting new insoles in my boots helped some. I just got the Dr Shoals for now in my mud boots and I stole the Lathrop and Sons insoles from my hunting boots for my cowboy boots.

Another thing that seems to be helping is not going barefoot. I wear Croc like shoes around the house all the time now. I stretch my feet before standing if I've been sleeping or sitting for a while too. It helps reduce the pain of those first steps. I do some stretches the doctor gave me a handout on too. I'm hoping it keeps improving as time goes on. I need to get this over with so I can get in shape for my caribou hunt this fall.

In my experience, the custom orthotics were just a short term fix unless you commit to them in every shoe you own. Not practical for me. The long term fix is to work on flexibility of the calves and gradual strengthening of the feet.

Echo this. I had mine for about 3 years. Tried a lot of stuff. Ultimately ended up beating it solely based on changing up my work out routine to favor my foot strength.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Had the surgery on one foot and have custom carbon fiber insoles (luckily insurance paid for them). If I had it to do over again, I don’t know if I would go with the surgery. I’m not convinced it helped. I just am very picky about boots and shoes now and always wear the insoles. Let me know if you need more info.

Broomd

WKR
I've had it in both feet, awful!
Get on steps and raise up and down, use the frozen bottle, and I even wore a special boot to bed every night.

If she needs it I can loan it to her. Or research and buy her one online. Avoid cortisone!
The boot really helped me through an otherwise brutal experience.

Every shoe I wear, even slippers have orthotic soles now.

Rob5589

WKR
Just started dealing with it. Luckily it isn't horrendous, yet, and I am doing all I can to avoid it getting worse. Been stretching it out every day and wearing a brace at night as needed, both seem to be working. They are cheap on Amazon, I paid about 25 bucks for mine. Lots of good info online. The one thing I found is it can take a while, sometimes a year or more, to fully heal depending on severity.

I have very strong opinion about this. I had it for 4+ years. Absolutly miserable. All of the nonsense you read about ways to get rid of this problem is all balogna in my opinion. Let me list the Bologna that didn't help me.

1. Wear Insoles
2. Stretch
3. Frozen water bottle
4. gold ball exercises.
5. Wear sock that keeps the foot flexed all night / Had boot too.
6. Just simply rest
7. wear minimalist shoes to strengthen your feet
8. etc.. I can list 20 more I am betting.

All of this was a fail for me. I finally told a "New" Dr. No playing ...I want surgery. I want my arch cut NOW. No more nonsense. No more finding ways that I have to come back over and over. His response and the only doctor that told me this. PF is not a foot problem. Its a calf/hamstring issue AND he suggested the areas int he foot that are inflamed can not heal without stimulation. He said give me $500 and we will have 6 treatments of ESWT. It will be gone - he basically guaranteed it. I gave him the $500 on the spot. He fixed it !! ESWT hurts like hell the first few times but by the 6x i could not beleive it. GONE ! POOF ! That little machine is a miracle but lit my butt up the first few times. Oh, and stretch the hell out of the calves and hanstrings. The issue starts from an upstream issue. NOT THE FOOT>

I HIGHLY suggest ESWT. Dry Needling int he foot and calf would also be good. Dry needling works miracles as well.

example:

I hope this helps. If you try the non sense....she will be dealing it with that for a very long time.. dont waste your time.

I have very strong opinion about this. I had it for 4+ years. Absolutly miserable. All of the nonsense you read about ways to get rid of this problem is all balogna in my opinion. Let me list the Bologna that didn't help me.

1. Wear Insoles
2. Stretch
3. Frozen water bottle
4. gold ball exercises.
5. Wear sock that keeps the foot flexed all night / Had boot too.
6. Just simply rest
7. wear minimalist shoes to strengthen your feet
8. etc.. I can list 20 more I am betting.

All of this was a fail for me. I finally told a "New" Dr. No playing ...I want surgery. I want my arch cut NOW. No more nonsense. No more finding ways that I have to come back over and over. His response and the only doctor that told me this. PF is not a foot problem. Its a calf/hamstring issue AND he suggested the areas int he foot that are inflamed can not heal without stimulation. He said give me $500 and we will have 6 treatments of ESWT. It will be gone - he basically guaranteed it. I gave him the $500 on the spot. He fixed it !! ESWT hurts like hell the first few times but by the 6x i could not beleive it. GONE ! POOF ! That little machine is a miracle but lit my butt up the first few times. Oh, and stretch the hell out of the calves and hanstrings. The issue starts from an upstream issue. NOT THE FOOT>

I HIGHLY suggest ESWT. Dry Needling int he foot and calf would also be good. Dry needling works miracles as well.

example:

I hope this helps. If you try the non sense....she will be dealing it with that for a very long time.. dont waste your time.
Haven't heard of this treatment but i do agree that the issue needs to be addressed correctly. Rolling your foot on ice, a compression sleeve or insoles do not fix the issue. The hard thing is the work that has to go into fixing something instead of putting a band-aid on it. Stretching the calves and hamstrings to decrease irritation to the fascia and working on strengthening the ankle and foot would be a more proper approach.

ZDR

WKR
I had surgery for it in my left foot. Most likely caused by 30+ years of distance running with too little stretching. the surgery really worked for me. I tried every orthotic I could, PT, rollers, frozen bottles, acupuncture, cupping etc. Nothing helped. The surgery worked well but was a long slow recovery. In retrospect, I wish I would have stretched my legs way more...I also wish I would have tried zero drop shoes when I first started having problems.

I had surgery for it in my left foot. Most likely caused by 30+ years of distance running with too little stretching. the surgery really worked for me. I tried every orthotic I could, PT, rollers, frozen bottles, acupuncture, cupping etc. Nothing helped. The surgery worked well but was a long slow recovery. In retrospect, I wish I would have stretched my legs way more...I also wish I would have tried zero drop shoes when I first started having problems.

^ This. Same boat here but only for one decade...not three. Stretch and know your limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR

This along with stopping what was aggravating it(running) until all pain was gone.

TheCougar

WKR
Yes. Going on 9 months. It sucks. When I find the magic cure, I’ll let you know. So far, rest NSAIDs, Ice, ball rolling, stretching, shoe inserts, night splint, taping, etc haven’t had much in the way of progress. The problem with PF, as you will soon find out, is that there is no cure-all. Guys will give conflicting advice based on their experiences, and you’ll just end up with a list of 30 things that “might” fix the problem. Rest, ice, and stretching works for most injuries, so that’s probably a good way to start. I’ve read the clinical reports and even those are vague on a magic cure. Things like EWST, cortisol injections, ultrasound, etc had little to no evidence of effectivity. Shoot me your email and I can send you a compilation of clinical reports that tested different methods of treatment, and the resulting effectiveness on groups of patients.

jasboj

FNG
This came from a podiatrist. This is what he sent me and what i did and it went away and has never returned. I hope this will help some of yall.

First you need to get our support. People often times think they need something soft and accommodative when in reality you actually need something stiff and structural in order to hold up the arch and hold up the plantar fascia. This is a very common misconception. What I'm going to recommend to you you probably will not like for the first couple weeks.

Arch support: www.superfeet.com
Get the lime greeen colored one. It's full length. Order based on shoe size. May have to trim the toe some.

Stretching exercises: These need to be performed at least 2 to 3 times per day for 5 to 10 minutes. You can look online for some stretching exercise ideas. I will also send you a picture of my hand out. Also incorporate with the stretching exercises icing. The way you do this is to freeze a water bottle and roll it underneath the arch of your foot for a few minutes each time you exercise.

Anti-inflammatories: I recommend getting over-the-counter Motrin/ibuprofen. These are 200 mg tabs. Take three times each time for a total of 600 mg three times a day for about 30 days. If you experience mild stomach upset you can get over-the-counter Prilosec to take daily. However if you have significant G.I. upset then discontinue use.

If you will be faithful to these three treatment modalities for the next 2 to 4 weeks you will very likely see improvement. However, if not you may need a Cortizone injection or two to get jumpstarted.
f19db5961f88915f1f7e640c42115459.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I tried a bunch of this stuff but I think stretching the calf muscles did the most. I'm a side sleeper and I found myself bending my legs up when I slept. I made myself stop and consciously stretch all the time. It finally went away but it took time.

Maverick1

WKR
Had it twice. The first time was a merry-go-round of “try this cure”, followed by pain, frustration, a slight improvement, then a set back, and a repeat of the cycle. Tried a bunch of different approaches, including most everything you can find on google or other places. Lasted nearly 9 months the first time. What ended up working - for me - was actually doing calf raises / lifting weights.