Anyone here have plantar fasciitis?

Apollo117

WKR
I do think that putting new insoles in my boots helped some. I just got the Dr Shoals for now in my mud boots and I stole the Lathrop and Sons insoles from my hunting boots for my cowboy boots.

I'm not a doctor, and I know we don't always get to choose what shoes we wear. However, you may want to consider changing your footwear if possible. From what I understand, shoes like cowboy boots and rubber boots are some of the worst shoes you can wear if you have plantar fasciitis. I could be wrong though.

mcseal2

WKR
You are not wrong. Its just what works best a lot of days on the ranch. Riding a horse on ice in a lace-up boot risks a whole different variety of injuries. I have been wearing a hunting boot on days I know I wont be riding. Also I put my winter riding boots in the tack shed so I wear a lace up boot more often.

bmf0713

WKR
I’m dealing with it right now. Again. Got some of these on amazon to try and they relieved the pain quite a bit. I am on my feet on concrete 8-16 hours a day in work boots. Last time I had an issue was a couple years ago, I wore these all day everyday for about a month and it went away.
715583CE-C9E5-46FE-A81A-C6B89835B818.jpeg

ChrisAU

WKR
It got so bad for me that I wore a cast for a month last summer on my left leg/foot, which didn't solve it 100% but did improve it. Stretch, a LOT. Ice water bottle under feet. I think the single best thing that helped me was a compression sock at night. I couldn't wear the strasburg sock or the brace at night because my toes would go numb, but the compression socks seem to have helped me greatly. Took one on my last elk hunt too, though I think climbing up and down mountains all day for a week also helped me a lot, lots of stretching there ha. Here's the ones I have:

rcdinaz

FNG
Same here, stretch every day. Calf raises, stretch toes from both sides, stretch ankles trying to hit all angles.
The boots are very cheap now on amazon. They have them now that are soft, the only firm piece is on the front of the sock so you can side sleep and move around. The boot keeps you from relaxing so you can still walk in the morning with out pain from relaxing the ankle when you are asleep.

Pn8hall

WKR
I am probably 25 years in and it sucks almost every day. I have tried almost every over the counter insole and several custom orthotic insoles. I did the ESWT treatment about 10 years ago and it did not help. I have had multiple cortisone injections over the years and a few times they worked for a month or 2 but overall they did not work. I have done physical therapy and even had a chiropractor treat me for it as well. I have tried the night splints and mulitple compression socks etc. As others have stated do not walk bare foot. I used crocs for years but recently went back to Birkenstocks and they definitely have more support than crocs. I work construction and for me shoes make all the difference. I strictly wear Keen or Merrell shoes for work and play with custom orthotics. One thing that sucks is when I get a new pair of shoes my feet have to adjust to them for about a month before its bearable. Doctors want to do surgery and I probably should cave and have it done but I just cant get onboard with the idea.

Now for what does work for me. I know all my issues stem from my calf muscles being wound way to tight. I like to do heel drop stretches for them. I stand on edge of a step with my heels hanging off the back and drop my heels down until I feel my calves stretching. That is my favorite exercise for sure and when I do it regularly it helps for sure. I often ice my arches at night as well. I also use the Low Dye taping technique to help support the arch and that works pretty well but you cant use it everyday since it involves luekotape directly to your skin, Unfortunately that is about the only things that help me at all.

Now I will say this. When I am chasing elk in the mountains the crazy thing is that the only thing on me that doesnt hurt is my feet. I credit my Crispi Nevada's for that. The stiff sole really gives me some great support and I use my orthotic insoles in them. I agree with the above post about it not starting with the plantar fascia muscle. You have to treat the calves for sure. The plantar fascia is thin like a sheet of paper and its essentially tied to your calves and several other muscles that are all way more stout than it so the inflammation and pain presents itself there. Lots of people suffer from it and most people are lucky enough to only have to deal with it for a year or less and then it goes away. I hope she is one of those people.

grfox92

WKR
The overnight boot is the solution. Cured my PF in about 2 weeks. Nothing else I did helped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Had it twice. The first time was a merry-go-round of “try this cure”, followed by pain, frustration, a slight improvement, then a set back, and a repeat of the cycle. Tried a bunch of different approaches, including most everything you can find on google or other places. Lasted nearly 9 months the first time. What ended up working - for me - was actually doing calf raises / lifting weights.
The same for me...I have super feet green or custom orthotics in all my boots.
But calf raises 5 times a day solved the problem for me....I do them as soon as I get up, before each meal,
and before I go to bed. When I started, I biked for exercise and and slowly built up calf raises,
starting with 1 set a day. Now I hike with a 50lb pack every other day and long hikes on the other days
with no foot pain. I'm 63 years old.

CoryCa

FNG
I worked on my foot strength and switched to Zero drop/Minimalist shoes a few years back and haven't had an issue since. I wear a pair of Lems or Altra running shoes for daily wear and Altra Lone peaks for hunts. Altra actually just came out with a beefier boot that I'm really interested in

i had it really bad but found that using vibram five fingers or those type shoes solved it. when I can't wear those type of footwear, I try to keep my same gait and foot strike. it really helped me. the doc was close to prescribing surgery. it took about a month or so walking and "learning how to walk" again before my symptoms disappeared altogether. I haven't had any pain since.

I’ve had it before. Got it when I was 30. See a physical therapist and stick with a plan for 6 months. I am 95% pain free. I can run now and work out. I am 39 now. Toe stretches are important. Shoes with vibration soles actually make it more painful as they are harder in your arch. I recommend lots of biking and swimming to get blood flow to all areas of the body to promote healin too. Most people take too big steps when they walk or run which causes injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter is in miserable pain with this and I'm wondering if the custom insoles actually work (so she has an alternative to surgery). Thanks for any assistance.
i had it really bad and had the custom inserts made . 100 percent better! For me well worth the money

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My son had it a few years ago and we went through the ringer of different options. Nothing worked and he ended up with both feet in casts for 6 weeks and that didn't help either. It was probably close to a year and a half of stretching multiple times daily and he's almost completely pain free now.
I'm going through the same thing now. Got out of exercising for a few years when I started having kids, put on some weight and when I started running again I wasn't stretching right. I can now really appreciate what my son was going through. Cortisone didn't work, inserts haven't work, thinking I'm on the long road of stretching.

rbljack

WKR
Following. Ive had it since November when I overexerted on two different back to back hunts and its been painful ever since. Ive been stretching daily and wearing compression socks, but it just wont clear up. I will try increasing the stretching to 4 to 5 times a day and see if that helps.