Anyone here know the Bozeman area?

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, world! I'm new to Rokslide (this is my first post) having found it while Googling for some information. I moved from the panhandle of Idaho to Bozeman, MT last fall. I gotta say, I miss Idaho.:cry: I didn't realize how spoiled I was having such vast tracts of easily accessible public hand. Bozeman is surround by some nice places but many of you know that access can be a thorny issue. Can any locals advise me on some good spots for dispersed camping? I'm not interested in campgrounds, just places where dispersed camping is legal (and places where you can get to that land).

The area around Hyalite Reservoir is pretty and there's some nice spots for dispersed camping off the roads and trails. I went up to the Crazies today but it seems I'm a bit too early- I'm surprised I didn't die trying to get up to the Falls!:oops: Roads were still really bad and the snow was coming at me sideways. Note to self- May is too early for elevations above 6k.

I'm glad to have this forum! Actually I've read it occasionally for years but just now got around to signing up.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Best advice - unless you like neighbors when camping, try a minimum of :30 mins away from Bozeman. Every college kid in-town is now off for the summer and they're all doing the "outdoors" thing.

And yes, it is rather early yet to hit trails too much around here, unless you like mud and snow. Usually, Memorial Day weekend will be snow/rain and then, we begin to see spring in early June.

• Banned
OP
Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
It kinda feels like the bulk of the college kids skeedaddled once school was out. Lots of out of state students here. The town is pretty quiet right now. At the moment the Hyalite area is pretty decent, the road just opened last week. Probably I'll try the Taylor Fork area next week. My sous likes to camp up there and had some pics of his last trip. Battle Ridge also seems promising.

I'll note I'm not looking for any 'secret' spots, just a general layout of the area. A few locals have clued me in on the places to avoid (overcrowded) and which places are impassable in the spring.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Hyalite area is decent but, since they paved the road, the traffic in there is above my personal, acceptable levels. Only time I go near there is for a lunch-break fly fishing break. Or, when company is in town. Believe me, the college kids are still around. Check out most any of the tap rooms in the evenings.

Taylors Fork is very nice. I'd advise a can of bear spray or other protection device. The bruins are awake and hungry and will raid any food around camp. But, it is a nice area to camp.

Battle Ridge campground is nice as well but again, too easy to get to for me. Watch it on the East side of the highway. If it rains, you may not get out of there until the ground dries. Helped several folks that didn't know that over the years.

I might suggest heading over to the Tobacco Roots? Try Potosi Campground or, the small campground behind Mammoth (go West to Cardwell on I-90 & head South). Basically, over the ridge from Pony. You can find some seclusion, run into critters, dip a fly line in a stream or lake, hike, etc.

You will likely run into snow wherever you go that has any elevation right now.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
Up Gallatin Canyon, you could try going up these roads -- Moose Creek, Swan Creek, Storm Castle Creek, a lot of those opened May 15. Little Bear just outside the canyon, but it is probably still pretty snowy. If your willing to drive to the Crazies, head south instead and try up the Boulder river. Second the Tobacco's, Gravelies have lots of options, but likely full of snow, maybe west fork Madison. Lot of people like to go over to Pipestone early season, I haven't been. Taylor Fork is great, but probably early for that as well. Was a good snow year and has been cold the last couple weeks so things will start opening up soon and people will be able to stretch out.