Anyone here shooting a MPA rifle or Chassis system for a coyote rig?

dogkilr

FNG
OK, I'm getting old, and with a torn rotator cuff I can no longer move my rifle to shoot left or right while in the middle of a stand.
I am building a new set up a nd want to go Arca on a tripod assy. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this and how well it is working out for them on transitioning right and left while sitting.

Attachments

• Pork-Chop-1-scaled (1).jpg
    Pork-Chop-1-scaled (1).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 21

kct802

FNG
Hey dogkilr

I shoot a chassis rifle and love it bout don't have any shoulder limitations yet. Im confused as to what you are looking to gain from the tripod in terms of your shoulder. It will be hard to use a tripod in a stand haha.

I have an MPA Chassis on a 22# steel ringing gun. It's a good chassis but there are a lot of other options as well. I'd probably look at an XLR element 3 for a hunting gun.

OP
dogkilr

dogkilr

FNG
Hey dogkilr

I shoot a chassis rifle and love it bout don't have any shoulder limitations yet. Im confused as to what you are looking to gain from the tripod in terms of your shoulder. It will be hard to use a tripod in a stand haha.
I use a swagger, and sometimes shooting sticks when I call in my areas where its very sandy, as they are easier to use in those conditions. The thing I am struggling with is when I have to lift the rifle to make a major adjustment in direction either left or right. When I'm facing in a direction that is to hard to just turn my set up. I don't have the strength in my shoulder anymore and it is very painful to have my arm extended and lift the weight of the rifle to transition. So I'm wanting to run a tripod with an arca rail set up and ball head, where I can just scoot my butt, and swivel the rifle on the ball head without having to lift anything. I run a Eberlestock pack with scabbord to carry my rifle into stands, so will just strap the carbon tripod on and won't be much of a problem. I also do alot of calling in high sagebrush areas that most everyone just passes by as its hard to call. So I want to do some standing off the tripod for those areas. It should be a win, win for me. I'm hoping so. But I want something that has a direct attachment to an Arca rail ball head. I have a Pig Saddle already but want to go direct attachment.

OP
dogkilr

dogkilr

FNG
Hey dogkilr

And sorry if I misread your comment, but I'm talking about call stands for coyotes. Not a treestand if thats what you were thinking I meant. Sorry for the confusion if there was any.

kct802

FNG
No you are good, makes perfect sense. I am sure everyone on here has an opinion, but I wouldn't use anything except the Really Right Stuff tripods. They have a few different ball head and leveling base options that are more personal preference but they are gonna be great for what you are talking about and you want have to hold any weight from your gun. A Loy of the modern chassis are built compatible to mate directly to the tripod and if not its really easy to throw a dovetail mount on (this is the option I chose). You can't go wrong with MPA but I went XLR. Depending on when you want your completed gun I would reach out. Both have a 16 week lead time currently.

I use a swagger, and sometimes shooting sticks when I call in my areas where its very sandy, as they are easier to use in those conditions. The thing I am struggling with is when I have to lift the rifle to make a major adjustment in direction either left or right. When I'm facing in a direction that is to hard to just turn my set up. I don't have the strength in my shoulder anymore and it is very painful to have my arm extended and lift the weight of the rifle to transition. So I'm wanting to run a tripod with an arca rail set up and ball head, where I can just scoot my butt, and swivel the rifle on the ball head without having to lift anything. I run a Eberlestock pack with scabbord to carry my rifle into stands, so will just strap the carbon tripod on and won't be much of a problem. I also do alot of calling in high sagebrush areas that most everyone just passes by as its hard to call. So I want to do some standing off the tripod for those areas. It should be a win, win for me. I'm hoping so. But I want something that has a direct attachment to an Arca rail ball head. I have a Pig Saddle already but want to go direct attachment.

I was going to say, you'd basically have to be standing for it to make much of a difference but it seems you already realize that. Major adjustments right or left means major adjustments of your body location if you're using a single pivot point on the top of a tripod.