anyone here shooting bow cast this summer at snow bird?

sk1

WKR
I live right here in utah 30 minutes from where they hold the 3d shoot and i didnt even know about it.....im gonna give it a shot this summer

if you're not familiar with it you can look up bow cast at snow bird ski resorts website....here is a youtube video of some guys shooting there, looks pretty sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMFtyDVSBsM

J-Daddy

WKR
I flew out from Iowa and shot it last year...It's a freakin blast. Make sure you have that 100yd pin dialed in cause you will need it, well either that or bring alot of arrows.

R

rebecca francis

I'm not far from there.....It looks so fun! I would love to give that a try!

I have been to the last 3. If you like bowhunting extreme terrain it is a must.
The first year we went my brother broke over a dozen arrows.
Last year my dad ran out of arrows halfway through, he only had a quiver full though.
I have probably burned through over a dozen in the three years I have gone, but it is the funnest 3D shoot you will ever go to.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
yeah it looked pretty awesome from the videos i saw,

ive never done any type of 3d shoot, but im hoping to get dialed in for this one so i have some arrows left when im done....just got my ascent 5 pin slider sight tape setup so it's time to start getting ready!

B

bearguide

sounds like a good way to get tuned in for the hunts/ what is the cost ?

amp713

WKR
I bought my ticket the day they put them on sale, I have been wanting in since the first year. First year I didnt have the money due to focusing on college and not working, second year i had family obligations, last year i was in alaska. I REFUSE TO MISS IT THIS YEAR!!!!

pronghorn

FNG
I have tried to go for the past three years, but things keep coming up. I am going to try again this year.

Go to bowcastatthebird.com they have a few different options: 1 day, 2 day, 3 day, or 3 day with a ticket to the mule deer foundation banquet. I also believe they have discounted lodging options.
Here are a couple pics of last year.
Me, my dad, and my brother hiking down to the first target of the elite course. (this was in July, at about 11,000')
DSC00611.jpg

First target of elite course, a caribou at just over 100 yards.
caribou.jpg

This was like the fourth target, there is a mulie in those trees it was like 76 yards or something. Tough shot!
treeshot.jpg

Last edited:

J-Daddy

WKR
Nah I don't think they sell out...About like any other 3-D you go to, as long as you pay your good to go...They don't put a cap on the number of shooters.
Oh and that #1 caribou target was 97yds with a nice stiff cross wind. I always remember the yardage on that one because I was thinking "Wow, 97yds on the first target, they ain't messing around". I shot a mid lung 8 on that one thanks to the cross wind blowing up that cut, held for a 10, shot an 8...Honestly I was just happy to be on foam for target #1.

You definitely need a slider sight if you go. I can't afford the time away from family right now to make the trip. We are tossing around the idea of getting one going in Washington St. Idaho and Oregon already have them and I think there is another shoot in Utah as well. It would be a fun multi-state series.

Bow cast is a great time. One thing i learned from last year is to always use the same range finder you practice with. It doesn't really mater how nats a$$ accurate your range finder is, as long as its synced to your bow. If you ask somebody else for a range and its just 3 yards off at 90 yards it makes a big difference.

J-Daddy

WKR
Bow cast is a great time. One thing i learned from last year is to always use the same range finder you practice with. It doesn't really mater how nats a$$ accurate your range finder is, as long as its synced to your bow. If you ask somebody else for a range and its just 3 yards off at 90 yards it makes a big difference.

Good point, I was using my OptiLogic Micro II and my buddy had a Bushnell and we never got the same reading on a target when we compared them.
And for the guys who say angle compensation is useless on a rangefinder, go shoot Bowcast and then get back with me on that.

Steve from S&S Archery in Idaho is doing a shoot similar to Bowcast up there this year I think...He said it might not be as long as Bowcast but will have some tough shots on it.

Good point, I was using my OptiLogic Micro II and my buddy had a Bushnell and we never got the same reading on a target when we compared them.
And for the guys who say angle compensation is useless on a rangefinder, go shoot Bowcast and then get back with me on that.

Steve from S&S Archery in Idaho is doing a shoot similar to Bowcast up there this year I think...He said it might not be as long as Bowcast but will have some tough shots on it.

ya here is the link, i am going to try and make it to this one. http://boguschallenge.com/