Anyone hunt SD for Mule Deer?

Luked

WKR
How is the public ground in SD I would assume it is not as much as out west like CO,WY and so on
thinking of maybe going to SD for a Mule Deer hunt in the future.

yojo.3

FNG
West river is where you would want to be for muleys. more public land out there than East river(and more muleys). Some of the large areas that are good for hunting sometimes end up being a highway with other hunters. we usually try to wait for other hunters to clear out before we even start. mainly gulches so it can be a lot of walking. Roads here are pretty crappy and if there's rain some of the trails turn into gumbo. I got one a few years back and probably will draw next year.

Fitzwho

WKR
WIA and public land availability vary wildly in SD. Some units have a lot of accessible public land, some have almost none. The SD Game and Fish website has mapping features for deer units that show public land/WIA/etc.

I have 3 points, will be applying for a tag in SD this year, may just end up putting in for a whitetail tag that I know I can get. A couple draws in between now and then, so unless I draw something unexpected, I'll be up there for West River or Black Hills this year.

I am heading there this fall for archery mule deer. Working on research now and can't speak to the quality of the hunting or amount of pressure - yet...

KurtR

WKR
Archery rules have changed for nr hunting on public land. Will take a few years to draw a rifle tag. Deer are managed for opportunity vs quality but there are big deer to be had. Winter is what determines how deer hunting will be from year to year. So far this year winter has been kind to us.

Trial153

WKR
I have hunted west river archery tag about 5 times now. Access for the most part is good, numbers are good to very good most years, trophy quality is just fair. Keep an open mind in terms of where you access and stay mobile.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
There's definitely opportunity for mule deer in SD.

Lots of walking needed. Try and hunt where other people don't, which doesn't necessarily have to be far from a road. There's not really any secrets, just have to get out there to give yourself a chance. Archery for non-res is going to be a bit more of a process (april 1 tag purchase date for public land hunting, oct 1 start date vs resident sept 1). Rifle takes a few points to draw for an any deer (mule deer) tag.

IAMike304

FNG
I am heading there this fall for archery mule deer. Working on research now and can't speak to the quality of the hunting or amount of pressure - yet...
Do you know when you are heading out there? I'm doing Archery, the 10 days before rifle season opens, in Nov. Wall tent camp, try my luck for my first deer hunt in SD.

PM me if you want.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Do you know when you are heading out there? I'm doing Archery, the 10 days before rifle season opens, in Nov. Wall tent camp, try my luck for my first deer hunt in SD.

PM me if you want.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You know that camping on most state land here is not allowed just so you dont get here and have to change plans

IAMike304

FNG
You know that camping on most state land here is not allowed just so you dont get here and have to change plans
Ive got several areas picked out, and spoken to the area game warden, and biologist. Im good to go, where i will be.

We have not decided on our dates yet. I'll probably post up a thread about the timing of our hunt to get input from others. I'm excited but trying to go out with low expectations...

IAMike304

FNG
Good deal alot of people show up and think they can camp any where.

I dont doubt it. I have been diving in deep for 4-5 months already, to plan this trip. Im thinking(hoping) I can get away from people for the most part. I have confidence after picking out a few areas that looked good to me, and talking with the game warden and biologist, that I should have a god hunt, successful or not. I went into it not wanting to hit the far NW corner, as it appears thats most everyones popular pick for a NR hunt. Im hoping a Nov archery hunt will help as well. Weather could get fun though.

Fatcamp

WKR
Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Usually, and I say that with a note of caution, the weeks leading up to rifle season are pretty good weather wise. That said, make sure you are keeping up with forecasts, have an exit plan, and bring a heat source including heavy bedding and clothing.

IAMike304

FNG
Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Usually, and I say that with a note of caution, the weeks leading up to rifle season are pretty good weather wise. That said, make sure you are keeping up with forecasts, have an exit plan, and bring a heat source including heavy bedding and clothing.
Yeah, hoping for decent weather. Ive got a god exit plan including a house I can stay at a couple hours away, but will be plenty prepared for weather if it hits the fan.(wood stove, propane backup, and cold weather bedding) Been stuck in bad weather before. Id be more worried about the hunting if weather hit!

Im going alone, so have it extra planned out for not so perfect scenarios.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yeah, hoping for decent weather. Ive got a god exit plan including a house I can stay at a couple hours away, but will be plenty prepared for weather if it hits the fan.(wood stove, propane backup, and cold weather bedding) Been stuck in bad weather before. Id be more worried about the hunting if weather hit!

Im going alone, so have it extra planned out for not so perfect scenarios.

Stay in touch as the season gets closer. I may or may not be out there then. Depends on if my tags are filled. Never a bad idea to have a friendly face in the area.