Anyone hunt unit 25A in Alaska

decrooj

FNG
I have a moose hunt booked for unit 25A in Alaska. I was curious if anyone had experience hunting that unit and what I should expect. I realize hunting is hunting and one can’t predict how the future will be, but I want to hear your experience. The terrain, number of animals, quality of animals, etc.

Also curious if you did a drop hunt or fully guided hunt and who you went with. Did you run into other hunters?

i would greatly appreciate any information that would help me prepare for what will likely be a once in a lifetime experience for me. Thanks!

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Which outfitter are you using? I hunted Caribou last year in 25A and saw a couple nice moose. I used an outfitter for a drop camp

OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
I am going with Tyrell’s Trails. Who did you use for your drop hunt? I will have the option of adding caribou to my hunt. What dates were you up there and how did it go?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I went with Luke as well. Last 10 days of September. Hunt went great. If you are going near the end of Sept, I would add the caribou. They got into the area in large numbers during our hunt. Terrain is awesome with river bottoms, tussocks, hills and mountains. Leading up to our hunt it was warm, but during our hunt, it started to get pretty cold. A few days our lows was at,near or below 0*. Luke is a top notch guy and runs a great outfit. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I would be happy to answer them for you.

Ray

WKR
Hmm, nice to see that nice camp put to use by a new operator. The guy that built it was hard to deal with over the years. My coworkers had a hard time keeping him from taking materials from our facility up there.

25A is a god unit to hunt and you should consider a float hunt over the Drop Camp option. Over the counter moose and 2 bull caribou also over the counter. We have outfitted out that way for the past 4 years but I don't have a flight service out that way currently. We dumped the service we had been using due to some upset hunters and poor communication.

The Caribou in 25A will be scattered because the 3 herds are smaller with groups of 30-50 animals where in Unit 23 you would expect to see migrations that dreams are made of....WACH is a much larger herd and highly concentrated when they are moving.

Moose are not huge in 25A but lots of them. Be sure its 50+ or 4 brow tines! That area does not produce B & C level bulls as a rule. Lots of bulls in the 45-55 inch range though so be sure on its size before you pull that trigger

Walt

Attachments

• 828690-orig-1_orig.jpg
    828690-orig-1_orig.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
Ok. Thanks for the information. Who did you previously use for a flight service? Just so folks don’t end up with a poor experience themselves!

I am going with Tyrell’s Trails. Who did you use for your drop hunt? I will have the option of adding caribou to my hunt. What dates were you up there and how did it go?
@decrooj Mind if I PM you? I'm looking at using Luke for a hunt, and curious as to how yours went.

OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
@decrooj Mind if I PM you? I'm looking at using Luke for a hunt, and curious as to how yours went.
Hello. Yes, you can PM me. However, ended up going on a hunt in a different unit with someone Luke highly recommended. PM me and I can give you the details.