Anyone hunting in Altra Lone Peak 4 mid RSM?

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Broke an ankle 1.5 years ago and am now battling plantar fasciitis...my Asolos hurt like hell to even walk around the block in, and so do cowboy boots, work boots, etc. Ever since that ankle broke, anything with any heel at all has hurt like hell on the interior of the ankle/arch. Recently, I’ve determined that shoes/boots with little to no drop is perfectly comfortable and I can walk/run/hike like normal. Anywho, I picked up these Altras today and I’m gonna hunt the early season (whitetail) in them. Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I used them on my Archery Antelope hunt earlier this year. They worked great.

My only complaint was on the loaded pack out (did an antelope in 1 trip, about 1 mile) I noticed that my calves and feet were significantly more sore than if I would've worn boots with a more traditional drop.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, thanks for the reply. Glad they worked out. They seem like they’ll be pretty sneaky in the woods.

Sturgeon

WKR
I have them. They are great on trails/flat ground, but are terrible going downhill or sidehilling.

Seeknelk

WKR
I have a tattered pair around here somewhere.
Wore them on a few day hunts.
Most comfy footwear I think I've had. Never had sore feet like in my 4-500 dollar stiff boots.
But sidehilling sorta sucks, hafta go gingerly and finesse your way thru blow downs and brush. On trails they are awesome for me even hauling mid weight pack, 55#. Never packed meat in them.

Cons:
not even close to waterproof. I swear walking across a damp lawn will soak your feet. Not sure how a "waterproof" membrane can suck so bad!

Weakest built footwear I've ever experienced. Started failing the first day. I just wore them for dry weather trainers after a while. Can't buy them again even being that comfy so that sucks.

Mine tore and separated at toe box. I think I snagged them on a branch. I have broke right ankle twice and wrenched my feet good with dirt bikes, snowmobile and skiing.
They are comfortable, wide in toe box but like others say they offer no support. I just tried Hoka mid height and they help with foot pain. It does stink paying $160.00 for shoes that dont last.

Wumbo

FNG
I just got a pair myself, the fit, toebox and weight are much nicer than my meindl boots

RCL

WKR
I like the fit and the comfort, but material is not holding up very well.
Also, mine make noise when flexing.

ledflight

WKR
I have them and like them a lot. Correct - not much waterproofing. No heel drop means you should be used to that before you take them out for anything tough.
Altra has a heftier boot out now with their same zero drop, wide toe box platform.

i wore them a good amount in Sept elk hunting, and a little on nice weather deer hunting. like others mentioned, not waterproof at all, but do dry quick. i also felt a difference in calf fatigue (actually soreness later) while walking around with a pack.

they aren't awesome side hilling, they aren't tough, but are light and comfortable. i killed my bull in them and packed it out, wasn't ideal but not bad. i packed out my wife's buck plus my pack contents in one trip, not an issue.

i won't buy another pair, but i'm also not disappointed in them, they did their job, i got my money's worth, and they are still wearable. they do breath really well

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m liking mine so far. I haven’t packed anything heavy in mine yet but they are comfortable and the few creek crossings I’ve had dry feet. Walking in with day gear and a climber they’ve held up fine. Main thing is I have no ankle or foot pain with them which was their purpose.

Just got done hiking a 3 day 2 night in the blue ridge mountains. Stinking love my Altras. Don’t know if this is helpful but Altra makes a footshape boot called the Tushar Might be alright in the the backcountry idk

travis78b

FNG
I have been using the Lone Peak 4 Mid RSM this season for training and some light hunting. They were plenty water proof for tall wet grass compared to my other pair which are the Lone Peak 4.5 (low cut trail runners). The mid RSM are loud and make a funky sound when hiking or walking when the tow box flexes. I thought they would break in but never did. To loud for spot and stalk. Pretty much a training or hiking only shoe now. Ill be back to a mid cut Solomon GTXs for next season for training and light weight spot and stalk stuff.

I have been using the Lone Peak 4 Mid RSM this season for training and some light hunting. They were plenty water proof for tall wet grass compared to my other pair which are the Lone Peak 4.5 (low cut trail runners). The mid RSM are loud and make a funky sound when hiking or walking when the tow box flexes. I thought they would break in but never did. To loud for spot and stalk. Pretty much a training or hiking only shoe now. Ill be back to a mid cut Solomon GTXs for next season for training and light weight spot and stalk stuff.
Yea man the lone peak WP do make some noise no doubt. It’s frustrating I’m a toebox guy and love the footshape feature those shoes boast but yea they simply are not quiet.