Anyone in the Tri Cities want to talk Goats?

I figured while I'm flooding this subforum with posts, I just bought a new house with a few pastures and I was thinking about getting some goats.

Brianb3

WKR
At the BHA rendezvous a few years back with out mentioning goats Beau Beatty of Wilderness llamas in a 45 minute presentation convinced me llamas were the way to go. We’re going to rent em for Mt this year. See if an investment is in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
We've also talked llamas as the previous owner had 3 alpacas but my wife already wanted a goat to keep the pastures mowed down...

Goats are definitely low maintenance if you just want them to keep the pasture mowed down. I’ve looked into pack goats, but llamas just seem like the best option for packing short of horses or mules.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
At the BHA rendezvous a few years back with out mentioning goats Beau Beatty of Wilderness llamas in a 45 minute presentation convinced me llamas were the way to go. We’re going to rent em for Mt this year. See if an investment is in my future.

Do you know if there were any podcasts of that? I just called BHA and they said they don't record the breakouts. I know he's been on Newberg's but I figured that his breakout may have more information about it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like goats

My goats are XL, require a trailer, and cost a small fortune:

bd74d54e6d4437f3791a1296269f7dbc.jpg

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know if there were any podcasts of that? I just called BHA and they said they don't record the breakouts. I know he's been on Newberg's but I figured that his breakout may have more information about it.

He has his own website and youtube channel. Check em out. Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
The one reason I like goats is I don’t need a trailer.

Wait, you're telling me a llama won't just stick his head out of the back of my truck bed like a dog?

My goats are XL, require a trailer, and cost a small fortune:

bd74d54e6d4437f3791a1296269f7dbc.jpg

I've always had an aversion to horses, since caring for my neighbor's horses as a kid. Two more things, a few of my new neighbors have them [sarcasum]and I'm an individual[/sarcasum] I also don't like pissing away money on vet bills/feed....

He has his own website and youtube channel. Check em out. Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas

Thanks

Mike 338

WKR
Goats... we used them. They're low maintenance in the field. Heck, they'd rather eat decayed wood than anything else. 4 will get a boned out elk back to camp but 5 are better. We had problems with them giving up midway up the hill. They can just lay down on you. I attribute that to poor training although I can't say for sure as we never packed a well trained goat. Any pack animal will help save your knees. You can let them graze if you tie up half of them. Let them all graze at once and they'll be down the road a mile when you turn your back.

Bachto

WKR
If you are in the Tri-Cities area there is a guy who breeds pack goats (trinity pack goats) out off Ruppert rd in Benton city. My parents have a couple acres and I've been kicking around the idea of getting a couple and keeping there. maybe in a year or 2

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
If you are in the Tri-Cities area there is a guy who breeds pack goats (trinity pack goats) out off Ruppert rd in Benton city. My parents have a couple acres and I've been kicking around the idea of getting a couple and keeping there. maybe in a year or 2
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Bachto

WKR
also Packgoats.com is a great source, the guy who runs it is from boise and he hunts Elk in the backcountry with his. His name is Mark Warnke.

I'm going with goats. I backpack hunt at 3-7 days at a time. And with a starting pack weight at about 60lbs and 52 years old it's time to move to a 4 legged friend. I'm looking into getting 3. but waiting till next spring. I know it takes 3-4 years before their really ready for the work.

Goats are great pack animals if you put in the time to find good goats and train them condition them. Packgoats.com is your best resource for gear and ‘how to’. Three of my goats are from Dave at trinity pack goats in the tri-cities. I love my goats and would not trade them for the best of any other pack animal, but they fit my style of hunting perfectly. Goats are the super cub of pack animals, they won’t haul as much as other animals but they will go anywhere, even in places llamas would not make it. My biggest goat can haul a 70 ib load.

Biggest advantages-
- low maintenance in the Mountains they will simply do whatever you do.
-no leashes while hiking, they follow like a puppy dog
-They will quite literally climb anything
-dont need to have good feed, they will sustain off brush and tree bark if they have too
- go 4-5 days without water
-

Disadvantages
- you can’t ride them
- they won’t haul as much as larger stock
- you can’t leave them alone in camp when you hunt, they are susceptible to predators and are very co-dependent, get separation anxiety something fierce
- they are very curious and have to be taught not to get into your stuff or your tent