Anyone Kill with A-Tip's yet?

CCooper

WKR
Broz,

Sorry to derail, still don't have enough posts to send a PM. Apologies. New to reloading. I am going to start working up a load for my new CA Ridgeline in 300WM. My components are new Norma Brass, 215M primers, H-1000, and Berger 215's. Looking to find the accuracy node as quickly as possible. Using a Hornady press and have purchased their comperator set. Redding Master Hunter dies. Looking for a good starting point with powder load and length. Also, how many rounds should I load for each load and length to accurately verify my nodes. Any help would be appreciated.

Broz

WKR
Broz,

Sorry to derail, still don't have enough posts to send a PM. Apologies. New to reloading. I am going to start working up a load for my new CA Ridgeline in 300WM. My components are new Norma Brass, 215M primers, H-1000, and Berger 215's. Looking to find the accuracy node as quickly as possible. Using a Hornady press and have purchased their comperator set. Redding Master Hunter dies. Looking for a good starting point with powder load and length. Also, how many rounds should I load for each load and length to accurately verify my nodes. Any help would be appreciated.
Start with them seated to the lands, lightly touching. Start with a charge weight of 74 grains and work up in .5 grain increments. At first sign that you are getting into pressure , back off 1 grain and start to adjust seating depth off the lands in .010" increments. Once you find the sweet spot test .005" either side of that. All rifles are different and like different things. But many rifle will show pressure by 77 grains (dependent of powder lot) A few rifles (NOT ALL) will allow a grain or so more. The two most common sweet spots for Norma brass, Fed 215 primers, H-1000 and a 215 Berger would be 75.5 grains and 77 grains. Favored seating depths usually falls between touching and -.040" off the lands. The amount you load depends on fow far you are from the range. I shoot from my back door, so I load 3 at a time. Once I find a load I will load 9 and shoot 3 groups of 3 allowing complete barrel cool down between. This will show if the load is consistent and also each group will include a cold bore and a follow up. These are only general patterns from many 300 win mags with this set up. Again all rifles are different and deserve a full and proper load work up. Start low and work charge weights up. Be safe.

Jeff

Last edited:

CCooper

WKR
@Broz,
Thanks for the help. I will start here. Any hot leads on H-1000? Am currently down to 1#, would like to pick up a keg for repeatable testing throughout the journey. What do you recommend for measuring to the lands. I currently have the Hornady overall length gauge and the modified case for this. Good enough?

Broz

WKR
@Broz,
Thanks for the help. I will start here. Any hot leads on H-1000? Am currently down to 1#, would like to pick up a keg for repeatable testing throughout the journey. What do you recommend for measuring to the lands. I currently have the Hornady overall length gauge and the modified case for this. Good enough?
Yep thats what I use

Tough to expect Barnes performance from almost any other bullet. Those bullets are designed to penetrate and maximum weight retention. I shot a caribou just shy of 400 yards with and ELD-X and the results were impressive. The 270Wsm runs them quite a bit hotter than the PRC, so that might be a factor for sure. I push a 145gr. @ 3200 fps. Sure wish I had a larger sample size as well, because your results are concerning for sure.

What gave you the impression the Eld would be a deep penetrator?
Most high bc long range bullets have a softer nose cone to open at lower velocity.