anyone know of a good deal on new tires for my truck?

sk1

WKR
what tire's are on your truck?

It's that dreaded time again, I can't push my truck tires through this hunting season....gonna have to pull the trigger soon. I was not happy with my last set of tires at all.

Anyone have any reasonably priced recommendations?

I was looking at these http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...true&cf=false&rd=17&sw=false&rc=UTSINT&cs=265 for a set of 4 with tax and installed will be about $815 or so

so what tires do you guys like to use?

i figured this applies to hunting because our trucks get us there to start hiking, right? right. :D

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Bfg trail k/o, spendy but I got 100k out of my last set. I had some nitto terra graplers once, they lasted 35k and felt spongy but you can get them fot $150 a tire. Bfg's are around $250 a tire. Stay within your budget but I have found with tires the more expensive ones last twice as long therefore are cheaper overall.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i considered BFG's but it seems like the last couple years the price just keeps going up, although i was happy with them when i had em a few years ago

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Geolanders are great tires. I have gotten 50k each out of my last 3 sets and that has been with about half of my time on gravel roads. The one thing that I have found is that it is cheaper in the long run to buy them from a tire store than online. With the free rotations that come with it you will actualy rotate your tires and get much better life out them.

a3dhunter

WKR
I had the Falken Rocky mountains and they were horrible, Discount Tire traded me out of them and for another $110 total put some BFG AT KO's on my truck. They have only been on there for 3k miles but have been great.
I also had some Nitto Terra grapplers, very soft and only lasted 27k miles.

I am running Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. In the past i have only run MT such as Mickey Thompson MTZ, Hercules Trail Diggers. The Goodyears have been impressive so far.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Are we talking Gas or diesel truck?

gas

05 silverado 1500 ext cab

sounds like we might have a winner with the Yokohama Geolander, i like to hear they seem to last, my recent tires dakota infinity i believe.....are made by cooper tires for pep boys exclusively.....sucked the big one. I made about 30k miles if that. I figured made by cooper can't go wrong.....wrong.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
gas

05 silverado 1500 ext cab

sounds like we might have a winner with the Yokohama Geolander, i like to hear they seem to last, my recent tires dakota infinity i believe.....are made by cooper tires for pep boys exclusively.....sucked the big one. I made about 30k miles if that. I figured made by cooper can't go wrong.....wrong.

Yeah coopers are good, now all the off brands they own not so much.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Geolanders are great tires. I have gotten 50k each out of my last 3 sets and that has been with about half of my time on gravel roads. The one thing that I have found is that it is cheaper in the long run to buy them from a tire store than online. With the free rotations that come with it you will actualy rotate your tires and get much better life out them.

I have found that this depends upon the deal that you find on-line. Most places (Firestone, Discount Tire) sell lifetime of the tire rotations regardless of where you bought your tires for $60-80.

7mag.

WKR
Take a look at Toyo Open Country tires. They come in AT and MT. I've got 65000 miles and 70000 miles out of the 2 sets of AT's that I've had. My buddy got 65000 out of the MT's he had. Also seem to be very good in snow and ice. The MT's are 7 ply also. Or you could look at the Toyo MT50's. Very hard compound, and stiff side walls, but they are rumored to go 90000 miles.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run big rubber on my Duramax and have religiously used BFG all terrain T/A KOs but I couldn't gut the price this last time - Crazy!! Want a shock? Price a set of 315/70/17s BFGs. Almost $2k mounted/balanced. I bought some Kumho MTs from tirerack.com for abou $880 for the set. Not great on snow, but they look good and seem to be wearing fine. Plenty of traction for mud/dirt driving, but a little noisy for my liking. I really prefer all-terrain tires, but the MT's were a couple hundred cheaper. They were the cheapest traction tire I could find in that size - at the time price was my biggest concern. Can't say I'm disappointed in them though.