Anyone like quilts but not in cold weather?

Im going to try a quilt this year for early season. I figure not much risk in temps above freezing.

I also plan to buy a new bag for temps below freezing. I almost want to try a zero degree quilt for temps into the teens.

Has anyone that likes their quilt for warmer weather tried one for later seasons and just couldn't do it? I see some people say the quilt didn't work for them but in many cases its their first quilt experience so maybe the quilt in general is the issue and not staying warm. Wondering if any experienced quilt users just couldn't make one work for the cold but otherwise like them for mild temps.

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m a fan of the quilt for early seasons. A couple years ago I got the Kifaru quilt to give a try. I absolutely love it for the earlier seasons. I used it in late September down to 23 degrees and that’s about as low as I want to take it. I like zipping a sleeping bag up around my head when it’s really cold and you just can’t do it with a quilt. My shoulders and upper body started to be chilled around that 20-25 degree mark with that specific quilt.

October and on I just opt for a sleeping bag now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have ran quilts in testing to -25 F and in real world to 0 give or take a couple ... however I prefer to switch to a bag around freezing give or take a few . While you can make them work or find ways they work well which is usually a combo of over sizing the quilt and pad . Basically if I am expecting 20 F I take a bag unless every last ounce really counts

I have an EE convert and use my regular bags as a “quilt” by opening them up and laying under them. I can get to the 40s or maybe colder that way. 30s and below, I want a bag I can zip up to stay warm.

Quilt sleeping takes the right gear and some practice. It works for some but I only care for it down to a certain temp.

mlgc20

WKR
I will preface this by saying I am a warm sleeper. I have a 30 degree rated Ketabatic quilt that is overstuffed by 2oz. i have taken it into the mid teens without any issue. This is in a tent and with a high R pad. I wouldn’t go into the single digits with it. I would need a different quilt. I sleep so much better with a quilt. I can’t imagine how low the temp would have to get before I went back to a sleeping bag.

I hate having my face covered by a bag, so I’m trying a 10 degree EE out. I toss and turn a lot, so I don’t think I can get much benefit from a bag anyways. We’ll see how it goes when the mercury plummets.

ljalberta

WKR
Love my quilt. But I prefer a bag when the night temperatures will be consistently below 30.

gfreidy

WKR
Great question and I am interested. Whether out of stupidity or just necessity I found myself at 7K elevation with a DST tarp and my 10 EE degree quilt (old fill rates so probably closer to a true 20 degree). Temps dropped to single digits on second night. We switched the tarp from a Diamond to an A frame. I wore base layers, beanie, and draped my puffy around my feet. I also used both straps correctly. Honestly I was very comfortable and slept great UNTIL my xtherm deflated! It would hold for only two hours. I made it through by sleeping on top my pack, with every piece of clothing and soft gear as a makeshift pad. A night I will always remember. Quilt and DST were champs though!

I've been using an EE 10 quilt for a few years now. Love it for early season and down into the 30s. Tried it with another lighter down throw on top for late season AZ elk. Never again. Every time you move in those temps the cold air shoots down and your right back to warming again. If I'm looking at under 20 I'll be using a stove and hopefully picking up a bag instead of a quilt.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is your face covered by the bag? I sleep in a bag the same way I sleep in a quilt......with it tucked underneath my chin. But after September I will always pick a deep rated bag over my 0 degree quilt.

I do the same thing with a bag. Cinch then hood around my face tight then roll over to my side. I need a face mask or something, I can’t sleep if my face is cold AF. When it’s really cold I do that, when it’s like above freezing I don’t.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I do the same thing with a bag. Cinch then hood around my face tight then roll over to my side. I need a face mask or something, I can’t sleep if my face is cold AF.

That's funny.........I can't sleep if my feet are too warm. I sleep with a fleece watch cap on my head even in the summer time when camping. But I've never had any problems sleeping with a cold face, even below 0.

Jauwater

WKR
For whatever reason, I still haven't been able to kick my claustrophobia. A few years ago I nearly had a panic attack waking up twisted up in a mummy bag. So that was that. Been using quilts ever since. I use a 30 degree down quilt year round. When the temps are cooler I pair it with a HPG Mountain Serape. I thought about just getting a quilt with a lower rating, but I enjoy the versatility of the Serape while I'm stopped. It certainly isnt as warm as say a mummy bag w/ comparable weight to the quilt/serape combo. But I like the versatility.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Why is your face covered by the bag? I sleep in a bag the same way I sleep in a quilt......with it tucked underneath my chin. But after September I will always pick a deep rated bag over my 0 degree quilt.
I dunno why but I usually end up with the hood on top of my head by morning if I sleep in a bag. I toss around a lot at night for some reason. I always plan to sleep in at least a stocking cap, but usually also with some sort of neck gaiter or facemask.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
The OP's description fits my experience. I like a (big) quilt with just one side buckled onto the pad for above freezing temperatures. Very comfortable and the big size leaves some margin for error in terms of getting it tucked in enough to stay warm. I use a zero degree quilt for this (there are a lot of places to save weight--for me 1/2 pound of goose down isn't one of them). Much colder than that and the warmth and security of the bag outweighs the comfort and lightness of the quilt for me.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's funny.........I can't sleep if my feet are too warm. I sleep with a fleece watch cap on my head even in the summer time when camping. But I've never had any problems sleeping with a cold face, even below 0.

That's why it's so hard to do a review for sleeping bags.. everyone sleeps different.

I think the OP could solve a lot of problems with a semi-mummy bag and a quilt combined when it gets really cold. Then wear a neck gaiter and a down head cover. They weigh almost nothing and move when you move.

Several folks have posted this combo in the sleeping gear section. Solves the claustrophobia problem as well as the warmth issue. Also saves weight when it's warm and about matches weight when it's cold; instead of using a colder rated bag you just combine the quilt with a higher temp (lighter) bag.

nastynick

FNG
I run a 20 degree HammockGear quilt to about 30 degrees with a Klymit VLux insulated pad. I was fine while wearing a beanie and wore merino bottoms and a merino top. But I sleep hot. A lot of factors though too. It can still get cold, I found out, in September. Your shelter can play into it too. I run a tipi.

Following this for sure. I would be saving 1/2 pound if I went to the Katabatic 22 quilt vs just getting a 15 or 20 degree bag. I'm more looking at a do it all. I really like the sounds of dropping some weight, but not sure if it will be worth in the end.

Also, if it is cold, seems like a lot more hassle to set it up correctly versus through our your sleeping bag on a pad and climb in.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got similar experience/advice as some of the others. I have an older (pre-overstuff) 0F EE quilt. It’s great unless it drops to about -3 C, then I prefer a bag. I tend to sleep cold.