Anyone like quilts but not in cold weather?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dennis and I just did a podcast with Andrew Skurka and we talked about when he transitions from quilt to bag ... and it was at about freezing .. which is about what I prefer as well. I have pushed quilts in tests below 0, but I believe the effort and tradeoffs start to have pretty diminished returns. The podcast should be available in a few days on the Seek Outside Podcast

tdot

WKR
First off, in my experience, not all quilts are as well suited for cold weather as some other quilts, no matter how much insulation is stuffed into them. Unlike a sleeping bag, I find a larger quilt is warmer in cold weather

I've been using an Apex synthetic quilt over top of a down quilt and have been very happy with that system. I've been happy enough with the idea that I just invested in two quilts that I've had cut so that they work together, in order to further optimize and increase the systems benefits and flexibility. Total cost and weight was less then my WM 5 degree bag and I'm way happier with the system. It should work in comparable temperatures. I originally used a 30 degree down EE quilt and a 38 degree Apex quilt. I've slept in 15 degree nights and found that very comfortable (wore a toque and long johns).
The new quilts are from Nunatak and consist of a 25 degree 3d down quilt, which I've already slept in below freezing conditions and found it to be the best quilt I've ever used. I've now asked Nunatak to make a 50 degree Apex flat quilt that will act as an overquilt with the 3d quilt and also with specific clips so that I can throw it over my shoulders as an extra insulation layer while stopped and also an emergency quilt for my day trips. The whole system can be used in virtually all conditions that I would hunt here in BC from summer to wet fall weather and cold early winter trips. Lower comfort limit should be around 5-10 degrees, without wearing extra insulation layers.

I will preface this by saying I am a warm sleeper. I have a 30 degree rated Ketabatic quilt that is overstuffed by 2oz. i have taken it into the mid teens without any issue. This is in a tent and with a high R pad. I wouldn’t go into the single digits with it. I would need a different quilt. I sleep so much better with a quilt. I can’t imagine how low the temp would have to get before I went back to a sleeping bag.

This is why I want to give Katabatic a try. I was just talking to a buddy on the phone and he uses the Katabatic 22 degree quilt. He had same report said he took his down to 16 degrees with only base layers on and was toasty warm.

Sounds like Katabatic needs to send Rokslide a couple quilts for some testing against a down sleeping bag.

PlanoDano

FNG
I find quilt width makes a huge difference. I turn several times during the night and I find my narrow quilt (48 inches) lets in drafts when I roll and it takes forever to warm up after a draft gets in. I do not have this problem when it is used in a hammock system with under-quilt. I am moving to a 55 or 60 inch quilt for ground system.

PlanoDano

FNG
Goosefeet Gear down bacalava is available for those who need head warmth. I use one when it gets below 20F. They also make down sleeping booties but I have not tried those.

I find quilt width makes a huge difference. I turn several times during the night and I find my narrow quilt (48 inches) lets in drafts when I roll and it takes forever to warm up after a draft gets in. I do not have this problem when it is used in a hammock system with under-quilt. I am moving to a 55 or 60 inch quilt for ground system.

This is one of the reasons if I do try a quilt I will use Katabatic the wide version which is 58" .

A couple years back I picked up a Feathered Friends Flicker 20 UL Wide Down Quilt Sleeping Bag and it is absolutely phenomenal. I've slept comfortably, no clothes, down to ~25º and stayed plenty warm.

It has a cinchable foot box and full zipper, so you can use it as a blanket or sleeping bag. There are extremely few instances now where I would pick my Kuiu Down Bag over my FF.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A couple years back I picked up a Feathered Friends Flicker 20 UL Wide Down Quilt Sleeping Bag and it is absolutely phenomenal. I've slept comfortably, no clothes, down to ~25º and stayed plenty warm.

It has a cinchable foot box and full zipper, so you can use it as a blanket or sleeping bag. There are extremely few instances now where I would pick my Kuiu Down Bag over my FF.
I;ve had one good stuff , but not that good for side sleepers ..

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Being a tall and wide type body... I FREAKIN love quilts. I could not really find any bags that ever worked right. Quilts have saved the day for me.

BTW, I hate you skinny short guys that everything works for! :)

mlgc20

WKR
Being a tall and wide type body... I FREAKIN love quilts. I could not really find any bags that ever worked right. Quilts have saved the day for me.

BTW, I hate you skinny short guys that everything works for! :)

Exactly. As a side sleeper that moves a lot, the quilt is infinitely more comfortable. I actually don't carry a quilt to save weight. It just purely a better sleeping solution for me. I will use my 30 degree quilt for Colorado first rifle, where I expect nighttime temps to be in the upper teens. I anticipate sleeping like a baby. Not sure what it would take to get me to return to a mummy bag. Everyone is different though.

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. As a side sleeper that moves a lot, the quilt is infinitely more comfortable. I actually don't carry a quilt to save weight. It just purely a better sleeping solution for me. I will use my 30 degree quilt for Colorado first rifle, where I expect nighttime temps to be in the upper teens. I anticipate sleeping like a baby. Not sure what it would take to get me to return to a mummy bag. Everyone is different though.
Yes Sir!!

Oh and another really cool thing about quilts is you can stack them. I have a 20 and a 40 and I can carry both (for ounces) and I have a zero to minus (something) quilt kit....

Thats freaking comfortable.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The WM Terralite is great for side sleepers. Myself, I went quilts for a few years and took them to -25F in various combos .. and I still run them but I find below freezing they need to be oversized as does the pad. The Terralite is like a super big bag that can become a quilt of blanket.

Quilts are just too drafty for my liking. Prefer a nice wide temperature rated bag that I can unzip to regulate warmth and ventilation.

I’ve had good experiences with quilts. A word of advice, get a long if it seems like it’s going to be even a remotely close call. By the time you cinch it down around you it might not be long enough. I’m 6’3” and had one that was advertised to be a little longer than I am tall, but by the time I zipped the footbox up and cinched it down the top came to rest about my clavicles.