Anyone loading the S&W 460 ?

Hey all. I've been hunting with the 460 xvr with the 8 3/8" barrel since it was released. I've taken a couple critters with it here and there. I've always used factory ammo because it shot well enough for me. I've now realized while doing my annual winter time bench cleaning, that I've got probably 300+ rounds of cleaned once fired brass. Maybe it's time to throw together some rounds for it. Anyone have experience loading hunting rounds for this thing, that they'd like to share ? I usually just burn up 45 colt bulk stuff for play time, so these will be hunting loads. I'm fairly sure I have 200 gr Hornady FTX laying around as well as some 240 or 260 gr JHP. I'm certainly not glued to those bullets. I'll get others if needed, when they're available. All the other reloading projects are finished or still being built, so I guess I'm loader-bored! Thanks in advance.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am shooting 325 gr Swift A-Frames and 300 gr Hornady XTP Mags with H110 and WLR primers in my 5”. I haven’t taken anything with either but I shot a bull elk with a saboted Swift A-Frame (I think 300 gr 44) out of a muzzleloader and that bullet’s performance was incredible. I loaded the 325s for a moose hunt but I ended up using a rifle when the moose came in.

I used to shoot 45 LC in mine but I had to swap rear sights with cartridge changes due to extreme point of impact differences between 45 LC and 460 S&W rounds. Also, the carbon rings from the shorter 45 LC cases sometimes made extraction of 460 cases difficult (and the rings were a bear to totally remove). So, I just use 460s now.

OP
R
I am shooting 325 gr Swift A-Frames and 300 gr Hornady XTP Mags with H110 and WLR primers in my 5”

I was thinking of using H110 also. Picked up 4 lbs of it last year during our sportsmans club bulk purchase. Before all this craziness started. How has that 5" treated you for accuracy so far ?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I was thinking of using H110 also. Picked up 4 lbs of it last year during our sportsmans club bulk purchase. Before all this craziness started. How has that 5" treated you for accuracy so far ?
Thanks to my need for progressive bifocals, I have a hard time shooting an open-sighted handgun from the bench anymore - I just can’t bend my head back far enough to get that front sight in focus. So, to test loads, I usually shoot sitting with my back against something solid and my arms resting on my legs. Sometimes, I will add shooting sticks under the frame ahead of the trigger guard. My five shot (cylinder capacity) groups are usually in the 1.5-2” range. I am sure a better handgunner than I could do much better with what I am using; however, I am satisfied with my groups since I plan on limiting my shots on game to no more than 50 yards.

I have read about people shooting fantastic groups with 460s at 100 yards and farther, but I would certainly need a scope at that range. I just don’t have any desire to scope the shorter 5” VXR.

OP
R
Thanks to my need for progressive bifocals, I have a hard time shooting an open-sighted handgun from the bench anymore - I just can’t bend my head back far enough to get that front sight in focus. So, to test loads, I usually shoot sitting with my back against something solid and my arms resting on my legs. Sometimes, I will add shooting sticks under the frame ahead of the trigger guard. My five shot (cylinder capacity) groups are usually in the 1.5-2” range. I am sure a better handgunner than I could do much better with what I am using; however, I am satisfied with my groups since I plan on limiting my shots on game to no more than 50 yards.

I have read about people shooting fantastic groups with 460s at 100 yards and farther, but I would certainly need a scope at that range. I just don’t have any desire to scope the shorter 5” VXR.
I scoped mine originally. Was shooting hornady factory ammo inside a 12" plate at 200yds. For me, I was happy with it. But as it turns out, I'm garbage offhand with a scope while hunting. I replaced it with a small red dot. As far as hunting applications, I'm much happier with it, but my bench accuracy has obviously suffered due to taking away the magnification

Wrench

WKR
I have the same gun and run a variety of bullets on the heavy side and also suck with the scope. I need to look at my notes, but I had good luck with H110/296 and rl7. Ive used varget in the 45-70 and am confident this would make use of it too.