Anyone looking for a good horse? Videos worth the watch either way

OP
wymtnpounder
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately she's not going to be shed out in time for the sale hopefully it doesn't affect her sale price. Should have blanketed her, live and learn.

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife says you can probably she'd her out yourself. They showed horses in the spring and there is a method to get them pretty smooth. We live in South Dakota so they lived outside in the cold as well.

You can Google it I'm sure. She would probably be willing to talk with you concerning details if you like.

mcseal2

WKR
Enjoyed the video, looks like a heck of a horse. I have always stuck to geldings even though mares make great horses. If all our horses on the ranch were gone tomorrow I'd replace them with all mares. I like mares but I hate the way my geldings fall in love with one if its around for a while.

You have done a great job to have a 6 year old going like that. Not every horse ever turns out that good. I like how she works gates, it shows you can move all the parts of her when needed. Also she just seems to take everything in stride. Best horse I've ever owned is like that but he is 16 now and I've had to slow down on him. I've been sorting pairs and dragging calves on him the last 3 days since my younger one lost a shoe, kinda fun to get him back out. He is going to be my daughters soon, she is 3 and growing every day.

Good luck at the sale, hope she brings you what she is worth. You have a lot of miles invested in her it looks like.

My wife says you can probably she'd her out yourself. They showed horses in the spring and there is a method to get them pretty smooth. We live in South Dakota so they lived outside in the cold as well.

You can Google it I'm sure. She would probably be willing to talk with you concerning details if you like.

Put them under lights every night to trick their body to think it stays lighter longer. And of course keep them blanketed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
She was talking about brushing them out and using pumice? stone on the legs where they shed last.
IDK. The light thing sounds interesting. Do you leave them blanketed when it gets warm to make them shed faster?
Our horses only get blankets when it's really cold. They are so tough. Nothing like those mountain horses though. They end up all shaggy by the end of winter. Like a huge dog.

OP
wymtnpounder
She was talking about brushing them out and using pumice? stone on the legs where they shed last.
IDK. The light thing sounds interesting. Do you leave them blanketed when it gets warm to make them shed faster?
Our horses only get blankets when it's really cold. They are so tough. Nothing like those mountain horses though. They end up all shaggy by the end of winter. Like a huge dog.
That's funny, my wife brought home a pumice stone home last night and she said the gal at the vets office told her to also try a concoction of baby oil, conditioner and something else? The main thing that triggers the shedding I guess is the amount of daylight that enters the eye that's why the "pro's" stall there horses where they can keep a certain amount of light on them. I don't have a barn with stalls so that wasn't really an option for us. If it'd quite snowing that might help too.

Labdad

FNG
They just get sick more if you stall/blanket them . We have better luck keeping outside.

wyosteve

WKR
Mtnpounder, will you be showing her at Jake's arena on Sat. a.m. during the preview?

Fatcamp

WKR
Ours had blankets on for a couple days last winter when it got ridiculously cold, and once this spring when we had a snow/rain/wind event.

mcseal2

WKR
I put my older horse out on grass for a month this spring and just used the younger one. He got all shed off and slicked up on the brome. The other day I saddled him at about 50 degrees with wind and a drizzle and he was shivering, kinda missing all that hair that day.

Most show horses stay under lights all year so when you said that i figured that’s what your wife was doing lol. Lot of breeders will do it with mares to trick their cycles if their breeding program is all artificial insemination. But that’s a whole different conversation for a different time

But for the most part you do leave horses under lights blanketed. If your turning them out during the day most will put a heavier blanket on if their in colder climates. If you didn’t want to go the light route either within reason you can keep horses blanketed all winter and it’ll keep their hair from really coming in thick. I used to show horses and one pleasure gelding we bought was under lights even into July and August and we never maintained that schedule and he grew winter hair in the summer! Felt so bad for him that year. Even though I’m not showing anymore i keep my horses blanketed all winter and just trade out lighter and heavier ones depending on how cold it is. Just never got out of that routine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk