Anyone made their own Seek LBO modules?

spudgunr

FNG
I have a base with stove jack on the way. I am just curious if anybody else has made their own modules for the system. I am not sure if I'll even be able to find a compatible zipper, but one thing I've thought about doing is hooking up to homemade tarp for hammock camping; you could put the base on one side of a tree, zip a long tarp in place around the tree (would need a cutout or elastic area), and be up in the warm area while running a stove and also have lots of room for gear.

So, anyone made their own tarp or other attachment for the LBO system? Any advice? Anyone know which zipper they use and a source for it? (As I understand it, for separating zippers you cannot use coil zippers; you must start with a separating zipper).

I'll probably try to pick up another used base and probably a tarp as well, but I also like DIY. One of the first things I'll be doing is setting it up and seeing if my homemade 9x12 tarp could be made to work as a module! One of the second things is trying to figure out a zip-in way to open the tarp up in porch mode but still secure the sides and front from bugs. Maybe even a poly-cryo way to do the same thing for winter use when you want to have a viewbut hold in the heat.

OP
S

spudgunr

FNG
My base arrived today! Sweet! So, I was able to verify the zipper length, zipper style, and shelter length. I have a zipper on order now and I will see if my 9x12 tarp can work. Its raining now so I cant set back up and take the tarp out there. The 12' dimension is probably a hair shorter due to hems, so I am thinking the tarp may not QUITE work to add on to this shelter. But, the 9' dimension would be pretty darn sweet and make for a huge shelter. Plus, I already have that tarp on hand, so it'd just be a matter of sewing a couple zippers on it.

OP
S

spudgunr

FNG
Unfortunately my tarp is shorter than the zippers, so if I used it then it would be off the ground by several inches.

I recently saw a good picture of the tarp; I was surprised there was a hem down the 5' dimension. My guess was a 5' wide strip made 13' or so long. I dont know if they are using a 5' strip cut 6.5' long (or however long) and sewn together or if they are using a 6' strip (hard to find) cut 5' long.

I am guessing its not the second because the wideat Ive seen is 74" (72" usable), but with the zipper right at 72", plus I am guessing more below that length. I also suspect there is fabric above the zipper at the top, but I have nwver seen a good picture or video of the tarp being connected to the base.

Since my tarp is too short I wont be sewing the zippers on it. Firat step is verify the zipper arriving this week is compatible. Then, I will see about ordering fabric, so it seems like this will be at least a couple weeks in the doing.

What would be helpful is if somebody can describe or take good pics of the way the tarp connects, exactly, and then also tell me how much fabric goes beyond the zipper at the bottom.

What I am currently thinking is make a 10x13 tarp that would be usable for hammocking and such also that I can interface with the base and then zip in a door/vestibule/base at the other end. A flat felled or french seam on two pieces of 60" fabric running the 13' dimension and a piece of grosgrain or similar webbing sewn the 10' dimension to take tension (Ive done this on my current tarp so it can take tension at the halfway point ofnl the 9' or 12' dimensions)

OP
S

spudgunr

FNG
It seems it doesnt matter that my tarp is shorter; I also dont know how to tell the difference in zippers! Doh. I am a MYOG newbie. I thought these zippers were plastic, so I ordered YKK vislon zippers. Yeah, it is DEFINITELY not that. Looking at them side by side, its definitely a coil zipper. The websites I found were not helpful the first time 'round, but then I found one that showed the different sliders pretty well, and another website that gave dimensions (did you know a #8 coil zipper has a different width than a #8 vislon? Did you know there is a rare #7 coil zipper, yet the #8 coil zipper is pretty darn close to 7mm in width?).

Lets hope my next zipper order goes better; I now have some ykk #8 dual separating zippers on the way. Then I can verify fitment, and then get some fabric on order. Though, I found a 10x13 tarp on amazon that the 13' dimension seems about PERFECT for. Run some grosgrain down the 10' dimension to take tension, add some zippers, and be done.

Anyone happen to be in Michigan and have a S.O. tarp I could take a look at?

OP
S

spudgunr

FNG
For those who may come here via a search, you are looking for YKK #8 coil zippers. I got these:

You can shorten the zippers to the proper length; you'll also need some "top stops" (which actually go to the bottom of the little bugout base).

So now I can get started trying to make my own module if I cant find some used components to this system (and possibly even if I do so I can have a supersized tarp section to fit the family of 4 inside).

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
I made a piece to fit my LBO base last year. Basically I wanted a lighter fully enclosed shelter than a base+vestibule offered, especially as my vestibule has a stove jack. The piece I made is basically a wall with a very slight pitch. Came out decent, though I didn't do my measurements perfectly and could have used a little extra fabric along the bottom.

You've got the right zipper there, just triple check you're sewing it in on the correct side of the new piece, and in the right direction. I got the rest of the materials from ripstopbytheroll.

Good luck on the project, post some pics when you're finished.

20200915_182247 (1).jpg

OP
S

spudgunr

FNG
I made a piece to fit my LBO base last year. Basically I wanted a lighter fully enclosed shelter than a base+vestibule offered, especially as my vestibule has a stove jack. The piece I made is basically a wall with a very slight pitch. Came out decent, though I didn't do my measurements perfectly and could have used a little extra fabric along the bottom.

You've got the right zipper there, just triple check you're sewing it in on the correct side of the new piece, and in the right direction. I got the rest of the materials from ripstopbytheroll.

Good luck on the project, post some pics when you're finished.

View attachment 284145
How much does that end up weighing? How much does a vestibule with stove jack weigh? IE, how much savings would that end up being?

My stove jack is in the base as I wanted to be able to do a base-base setup for hot tent camping, and then expand the system when I have the family with me. I really like my Luxe Octopeak size-wise, even by myself, so I am thinking I would probably go base-base most of the time, unless I made myself a mini tarp/vestibule combination; maybe sew just a triangle to terminate a 6' or so long tarp?

Also, what fabric is that? RBTR has "coyote brown" that I am HOPING is a color match, but wont be TOO tore up if it isnt a match. Just wanting to level-set in my own mind if your add-on is their coyote brown

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
The new piece weighs 6 oz. Not positive how much the vestibule with jack weighs. I think the normal is around 12 oz so I bet it's just shy of a pound total difference.

That is the coyote brown. Not a perfect match but not bad.