Anyone not use a ground sheet with a floorless shelter?

Had a sheet of tyvek with me this year... all it seemed to do was collect water (snow melting from the stove) and get my stuff wet.

Anyone just use a pad and no groundsheet? In hindsight the tyvek seemed like wasted weight.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends but often I don’t use one ... just a CCF pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
I ran Tyvek last year on top of snow. The problem I had last year was everything was slipping and sliding while trying to sleep, and I didn't get enough of it for 3 days straight. I didn't have too much issues with the water though because it was really cold at night. I can see how it could be a problem though if temps were hoving close to or slightly above freezing.

After that, I thought id try a bivy instead, hoping to contain my matt and keep me on top of it while sleeping. Same issue, but heavier item to pack. I am going to what others have suggested, and that is to apply seam seal or something similar to the bottom of my matt. I may also put a few beads on a piece of Tyvek and maybe even the bottom of the bivy and try that. In regards to your question though....I think something below your sleep mat is important because you don't want holes in that. with no inflation on the matt, your stuck with a few nights of sleep on top of hard cold ground and not much insulation IMO.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I ran Tyvek last year on top of snow. The problem I had last year was everything was slipping and sliding while trying to sleep, and I didn't get enough of it for 3 days straight. I didn't have too much issues with the water though because it was really cold at night. I can see how it could be a problem though if temps were hoving close to or slightly above freezing.

After that, I thought id try a bivy instead, hoping to contain my matt and keep me on top of it while sleeping. Same issue, but heavier item to pack. I am going to what others have suggested, and that is to apply seam seal or something similar to the bottom of my matt. I may also put a few beads on a piece of Tyvek and maybe even the bottom of the bivy and try that. In regards to your question though....I think something below your sleep mat is important because you don't want holes in that. with no inflation on the matt, your stuck with a few nights of sleep on top of hard cold ground and not much insulation IMO.
My bivy sack is way lighter than a piece of tyvek that takes up more floor coverage. I'm not a fan of tyvek, more trouble than it's worth to me. My bivy keeps everything together, blocks wind, and keeps critters out of my gear. EE Recon, but there are a ton of lightweight bivy options out there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lkwoolsey

WKR
Yep, I use a bivy. Adds a bit of warmth to my system, don't gotta worry about stuff getting wet, and since I use an inflatable pad, it gives me a bit of peace of mind to know there's an extra layer between my pad and the ground.

UL wt. bivy user here as well. It may not be the perfect solution for every situation you encounter, but it's the best system I've found for an UL wt. spike camp.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve always used one but went to a bivy sack years ago just to protect and keep my sleeping bag and pad protected, minimal weight penalty.

I use Borah gear bivys but I’m sure there are a ton now that will do the job.

Carl

FNG
I have done bare floor, housewrap (not tyvek brand), and Tyvek Protec roofing underlayment. The Tyvek roof underlayment is the best. It is actually fully waterproof, unlike housewrap, which is permeable. It has grip in it, I can safely stand on it on a 10/12 roof (40*). That really helps for sliding around on your pad. Also, it is 4' wide, so I can carry one 4x8 piece for solo, or two to cover the whole floor.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I do more often than not.

I have played with tyvek and plastic. Don’t care for either.

I paid up and got a dyneema one. It is 4-5oz. Doubles as emergency Overhead cover or shade tarp. 3x the cost of sil and half the weight. I don’t think I would buy it again if it gets lost or died on me.

Seek outside makes a nice durable one. 10oz. Has a bit of grip and big enough for a bit of a shade tarp on the hunt.

Seek also makes this thing. It is a very thin pad. 8oz. Doubles as a ground sheet, a bit of comfort and insulation. Sit pad. Carrier for spotting scope. Etc. love mine.

gfreidy

WKR
My bivy sack is way lighter than a piece of tyvek that takes up more floor coverage. I'm not a fan of tyvek, more trouble than it's worth to me. My bivy keeps everything together, blocks wind, and keeps critters out of my gear. EE Recon, but there are a ton of lightweight bivy options out there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
^^This ^^

JeremiahH

WKR
Yup borah bivy here too
Mid- low 20s in the a.m
83bf67c9ab72ae020b8767551fabca6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Another system I found that works well, if bugs aren’t an issue, is a Zpacks bathtub floor strapped up inside/attached to the walls of the shelter. This allows you to pitch your shelter higher off the ground, for maximum ventilation. This also works very well keeping your bedding contained (much like a bivy), and dry by keeping any splash up from rain, or in most cases spindrift, from getting into your bed area.
e61adc9d355caedae61acf35bee57d3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldhorse

WKR
I use a 2GOSystems Trifrcta. It's a zippered bivy sack made of a heavy Tyvek type material.

Jimss

WKR
Sounds like a lot of bivy lovers out there. Do any of you have condensation problems? I used a floorless with bivy once in a downpour and it worked well....but my feer with bivy is getting wet from the inside-out. I often use regular painters plastic that can be bought for around $5 at home depot for a floor when I go floorless. It prevents my sleeping pad and gear from getting wet and muddy. If dry it keeps my pad/gear from getting covered in dust.

In snow or lots of rain/wind I use my 4 season tent with a bath tub floor plus footprint....forget the floorless! Sure is nice on extended trips where everything may eventually get soaking wet in a small floorless tarp!

Sounds like a lot of bivy lovers out there. Do any of you have condensation problems? I used a floorless with bivy once in a downpour and it worked well....but my feer with bivy is getting wet from the inside-out. I often use regular painters plastic that can be bought for around $5 at home depot for a floor when I go floorless. It prevents my sleeping pad and gear from getting wet and muddy. If dry it keeps my pad/gear from getting covered in dust.

In snow or lots of rain/wind I use my 4 season tent with a bath tub floor plus footprint....forget the floorless! Sure is nice on extended trips where everything may eventually get soaking wet in a small floorless tarp!
If you go with a very breathable material like the Argon67 that BG uses as an option, it mitigates most, if not all, condensation issues. It's definitely not as water repellent as a lot of other materials, but that really shouldn't be a problem with adequate coverage from a good tarp.