Anyone out west collecting points in Iowa?

Hey guys I live in Northeast Iowa that has just started to venture out west every couple of years. I would love to help someone out here with some private access and possibly a cabin to stay at with some help on my next western hunt. I am pretty open to anything as far as game, I just want a new and exciting experience. I do have 2 points for elk, mule deer, and pronghorn in Wyoming. Pic is of the buck I took last year during bow season. Thanks guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201031-111301_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201031-111301_Photos.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 162
nice of you sir. not out "West" per say so can;t help you but do you mind answering a newbie question? is there a good amount of public land if I were do draw down the road? Is hunting them off the ground an option or is that poor etiquette if the public zones are packed? I have been going back and forth on whether I should start building points there. I would not be able to afford an outfitter but I would be flying in, so bringing sticks and stands wouldn't really work.

OP
M
nice of you sir. not out "West" per say so can;t help you but do you mind answering a newbie question? is there a good amount of public land if I were do draw down the road? Is hunting them off the ground an option or is that poor etiquette if the public zones are packed? I have been going back and forth on whether I should start building points there. I would not be able to afford an outfitter but I would be flying in, so bringing sticks and stands wouldn't really work.
Iowa has very limited public land and it is hunted hard during the rut. The good thing is there are tons of deer and still places on public where you can have a good hunt. As far as hunting on the ground, its actually what I do more often anymore. I have had my best luck as of lately in some country that doesn't have a lot of trees so I have learned to adapt and it has treated me well the past 3 years.

OP
M
Thanks guys for the responses to my post. As of right now I am primarily looking for someone with access to private land to hunt with out west if we were to do any sort of exchange.

wweaver

FNG
Public land knowledge is just a good as some private acces. Someone willing to go into the mtns with you that knows what they are doing is worth an Iowa deer hunt.

3 pts will get you a general elk tag. With that and someone willing to spend a week with you, archery especially if they know how to call is worth the swap. My opinion.

OP
M
Public land knowledge is just a good as some private acces. Someone willing to go into the mtns with you that knows what they are doing is worth an Iowa deer hunt.

3 pts will get you a general elk tag. With that and someone willing to spend a week with you, archery especially if they know how to call is worth the swap. My opinion.
Hey I totally agree with that. Thats just not what has been offered to me yet. I would definitely be interested in something along that nature from someone who does it regularly and has the experience, as I do not. I am just not looking to share my hunt here in exchange with tagging along with some other out of state hunters on a general diy hunt.

Last edited: