Anyone Own The Chevy 1500 3.0 Duramax?

z987k

WKR
My local mechanic charged $100 for the RAM ecodiesel oil changes. However, it took 11 quarts of oil vs. your Duramax's 7. He charges $35 for oil/filter in the hemi and it takes 7.

I like the transfer tank idea. Just curious, why can't you do that with gas? Static risk or something?

I forgot to mention that you don't have the PIA of gassers gelling up in the cold either. I had a factory block heater on my RAM and never had any problems. However, my brother's '06 Duramax has gelled up on him several times. So if you live in colder climates you have to add in the cost of running fuel treatment in your diesel motors too.
You can get a properly designed gasoline tank. There's a limit on how big it is before you become hazmat.
Here it's 118 gallons. Do not use a tank(or pump if appropriate) designed for diesel.
You'll notice the gasoline tanks and pumps are 4x or so the price of diesel.

manitou1

WKR
Man I love my 3.0 duramax. It goes forever on a tank and it feels like I never put def in. My buddy has a hemi and he’s lucky to get 14-15mpg. I’ll do 26-28 pretty easy with the z71 off-road package.
Man I am intrigued, but I will put 150K miles on a truck in about 3.5 years. Then I would have to change the OP belt. If not for that I would be looking for one.

Cowbell

WKR
Diesel fuel is more, Diesel maintenance is more, insurance is more and initial price is more. If you do not tow something large not sure they are worth it?
Also trade in and resale is more. Maintenance under warranty is a wash.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I test drove one of these today. I have a 6.6 dmax now and I thought the get up and go of the 3.0 was more than adequate

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Pops has the 6.6 and the 3.0 dmax. Loves them both, but really loves the 3.0. He can get 30's tank averages, but he does drive like a grandpa most of the time. Lately he has been towing his 18ft Hewes to the Cascade lakes, but not sure what he is getting mpg wise. He has tried hard to talk me into one, but I recently put a deposit on a 2022 Tundra. I've only owned Toyota's. Hard to move away from them for me.

Any updates from 3.0 owners?

Any issues and how many miles have you driven?

My hand is being forced as my 2011 Duramax (234k mi) has now broken down on me three times on highway. Love the ease of towing but can’t risk breaking down.

Needs to be comfortable with 7-9k towing of horse trailer.

Thx

S

RedGreen

FNG
I really heavily considered this truck but went with gas instead for flexibility in trip length (lotta short trips with modern diesels really plugs then up, regens etc), Chevrolet as a brand is pretty bad, and also the oil pump belt. Just a cost cutting measure, nothing more. There's a reason every industrial diesel isn't built with anything but gears and chains. Serviceability and dependability. That truck wasn't build to go over 150K. Its more satisfying a market fad than anything else. That's coming from me, who loves diesel and really loves the small diesel concept for a vehicle not designed to tow heavy stuff all day.

I have a buddy that has honey bees from central Montana to central Minnesota and from Canada to Nebraska. He put 300k on his first one. His second one has 150k and he said he will buy another when it hits 300. The guy drives all day everyday for 7 months of the year. He spends about equal time hauling a trailer and running with just a box full of supplies. He has never had an issue outside of normal maintenance and claims to average 22-25 mpg.

I was planning on going this route for my next vehicle. I just can’t let go of my 2005 DMax with 275k. She has been too good to me!

RedGreen

FNG
Glad your buddy got such good usage out of it! I cannot say for certain but I would expect the oil pump belt issue is a question of both time and mileage.

For my uses and needs I would much prefer getting a different vehicle and running it until it returns to the earth or simply can't drive anymore. 600k all on a gas half ton is still cheaper than 600k in diesel, and having to buy 2 new trucks to do it.

Afhunter1

WKR
I just bought a 2024 Sierra with max tow and the 3.0 Babymax. Max tow package bumps me up to 12,500 vs 9,500. My 24’ trophy boat is 9500# on the dot. This truck tows it like it isn’t even there. My only complaint is the back tires feel mushy but I will fix that when these factory are worn off. I had a 2021 2500 with 6.6 D-max and it def towed it better but I get better fuel Econ with the 3.0 both had 10speed trannys. I do miss my exhaust brake, that was nice. I have a farm as well so I am always hauling something, hay, cows, equip, etc and I have no complaint with 3.0 and will buy another.

Also now they are saying you can go 200k on the belt before change.

My Father had a 2020 Sierra Denali with 3.0 same time I had the 2021 LTZ 2500 6.6 so I got a pile of miles in both at the same time. After I totaled my truck on my elk hunting trip last year I custom ordered my 3.0.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just bought a 2024 Sierra with max tow and the 3.0 Babymax. Max tow package bumps me up to 12,500 vs 9,500. My 24’ trophy boat is 9500# on the dot. This truck tows it like it isn’t even there. My only complaint is the back tires feel mushy but I will fix that when these factory are worn off. I had a 2021 2500 with 6.6 D-max and it def towed it better but I get better fuel Econ with the 3.0 both had 10speed trannys. I do miss my exhaust brake, that was nice. I have a farm as well so I am always hauling something, hay, cows, equip, etc and I have no complaint with 3.0 and will buy another.

Also now they are saying you can go 200k on the belt before change.

My Father had a 2020 Sierra Denali with 3.0 same time I had the 2021 LTZ 2500 6.6 so I got a pile of miles in both at the same time. After I totaled my truck on my elk hunting trip last year I custom ordered my 3.0.
Don’t forget some extra def in the back of the bed when you’re towing. I was shocked at how much they drink when towing!