Anyone own the KUIU Axis Jacket

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine. What are you wanting to use it for? I think depending on how and what it was going to be used for would determine if it was worth it.

OP
J
Thanks for the note. I need a jacket for cool/cold weather, already have a rain jacket. Tonight this could be a good jacket to put over 1-2 layers, and it’s on sale so seemed like a good time to buy one. Thoughts?

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is a great jacket. It may not be the best at everything, but it is great at a lot. There are better rain jackets, but this is not a rain jacket and will work. There are quieter fleece jackets, but this isn’t fleece and is still quiet. It blocks the wind great and with the pit zips can dump heat. Layer under it and it keeps you warm. I’ve only had mine for a few months, so I can’t comment on long-term durability, but so far it’s held up great. Pull the trigger on one while they are on sale.

eoperator

WKR
I think it is a great jacket. It may not be the best at everything, but it is great at a lot. There are better rain jackets, but this is not a rain jacket and will work. There are quieter fleece jackets, but this isn’t fleece and is still quiet. It blocks the wind great and with the pit zips can dump heat. Layer under it and it keeps you warm. I’ve only had mine for a few months, so I can’t comment on long-term durability, but so far it’s held up great. Pull the trigger on one while they are on sale.
Excellent description, like most good soft shells it can do a 1/2ass job of everything. I like the fit and feel better than Jetstream but miss Jetstream wind resistance. Love the axis pants for colder/wetter weather hard to beat them.

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
I've had my Axis jacket and pants for the past two moose seasons up here, which are annual two-week remote drops, living out of a tent. Wore them every day this year...they have earned a primary place in my line-up.

I agree with the comments of those who have posted before me. For me the jacket is the perfect outer layer when it is windy and getting cold....and it's cut to zip-up high and comfortably have your chin inside for added warmth. Add an insulation under-layer when it is colder, and an outer rain layer when it is raining. I would not rely on it as a rain layer by itself in rainy conditions nor a single jacket to keep you warm when temps are cold. It's also good to wear without an insulation layer when on the move in colder temps because you can regulate the heat loss and retention with the pit-zips.

Sizing...that always seems the gamble with KUIU. I'm between a L and XL and I went with the XL. I've got just enough room for an insulation layer without it being too tight, and if I wear the jacket by itself it's not too baggy of a fit.

Last edited: