Anyone purposely skip opening week?

Does anyone out there wait until later in the season to hunt to avoid the opening day madness?

Planning on a MT general hunt next year, we’re debating waiting until Veterans Day week or so to hunt. Opening week in 2019 was a bit bananas for the first few days, but we DID find elk.

That said don’t want to get out there and waste 10 days and a few thousand bucks to find all the elk down on private. Just seems like a big gamble...

Curious what those of you who have more experienced do when you only have a week or so to hunt.

wyosam

WKR
I usually skip opening week unless the weather is bad enough to keep most people close to the truck. For deer I usually only hunt the last couple days of the season. Everyone has typically shot their “meat buck” and gone home by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I think with elk the opening few days are typically your best chance in most areas to shoot a meat elk. People are a pain to deal with but if you hunt smart they also can make your hunt much easier. All that pressure keeps elk on their feet so if a guy can place himself in escape routes it can really be pretty easy to fill a tag IF you know travel corridors.

If you are trophy hunting, I think archery season and the last week of rifle are better, if you get weather. However, the last week of rifle is very difficult if you don't have snow in most areas.

SBAHunts

FNG
I hunt every chance I can! Sometimes it helps to know where the pressure is & use it to your advantage

4rcgoat

WKR
Almost skipped it this year due to the warm,dry conditions. Glad i didnt,got into elk first 4 days.......then nothing.(archery)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never skip opening day not sure how many I have shot in the first 3 hours but it is a lot....they learn quick with gunshots and human scent it may be your best opportunity by far to be in position at daybreak opening day🤙

mrv5399

FNG
We hunted opening week MT in 2018. It was too hot and it was a full moon. Needless to say, we didn't see very many.

Geewhiz

WKR
I always take the first week of archery off work to hunt, but I do skip opening weekend for that reason. In montana, archery opens on a Saturday, I always hit the woods sunday afternoon to hike in and set up camp to be ready to hunt as the weekend warriors head home.

It has worked 6 out of the past 6 years.

cnelk

WKR
I haven’t missed opening day of archery for many many years. In all that time, I’ve only punched my tag opening day once.

Not sure what opening season is in Montana, but if I get lucky and draw a NM tag, no way I’m skipping opening week. ;)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually skip the opening weekend of rifle elk (Montana), but typically out there by mid-week and beyond; the beauty of a five week season

this next year though I have spot that I think I'm going to bivy out on Friday evening and see if I can make the pressure Saturday (opening) morning work to my advantage

I often skip opening weekend of deer season to miss the madness, but Oregon's rifle elk seasons arent long enough to take any days off.
Never punched a tag on opening day though.

Wapiti1

WKR
When I lived in Montana, no I hunted opening day of archery and the general season. Most years, I was done elk hunting on opening day and hunted the rest of the season for a big mule deer. Again, that was when I lived there and had the elk pinned down. Now, I never shot a big bull, but that wasn't the point at the time.

Since I moved, I haven't hunted opening week. I actually avoid it at all costs. When I go back I hunt 3rd week and later of archery or general season. While I love archery, my favorite is tracking in the snow. Zero degrees with a foot of fresh powder. Cut tracks, determine if they are worth following, and then spend the day on them. Thick timber, and you have to be on the ball to catch them in their bed. That's fun to me.

Jeremy

I’ll skip opening day of waterfowl but never a big game hunt I can see the sense in doing it but I’ve killed to many animals opening day to justify it.

JRMiller

WKR
Yes, but a lot of variables, i.e. what species, where, time of year, etc.
The only time i skip it %100 is at any Walk In.
The hoard that hits a WIA on opening week blows out all animals for weeks...

I hunt every day I can, maybe there is more pressure/people opening day but it is there to stay. 0% opportunity if not in the field. This was a year I had an opportunity on opening day, 45 minutes into season and passed.