Anyone Regret Going from 15x56 to 12x50?

Some background. I mostly archery hunt mule/coues deer and elk in AZ. 2-3 weeks per year. I'v only been hunting a few years and have yet to get a bow kill. I've killed a nice muley and coues WT at close distances (under 200 yds) and found them with cheap glass. I wouldn't consider myself a trophy hunter but I prefer to take mature animals.

As I get more into the world of backpack hunting over the past two years, I'm understanding the importance of using good equipment, especially optics. I've been able to spend more time in the field every year and afford better glass but not quite up to the Swaro budget status yet.

My optics setup for the past two years has been Vortex Talon HD 8x42s (27.4oz) and Leupold Full Draw 6x rangefinder in my bino harness and Cabelas Euro HD (Meopta B1) 15x56s on a tripod.

My goal is to cut weight and bulk while remaining highly efficient with my glass. I've found that I rarely use my 8x42s and my 15s are on the heavy side (40.6 oz).

I'm in the process of selling everything and starting from scratch. I just purchased a Sig Sauer Kilo 2200BDX on sale for $370 at Optics Planet. I'm thinking about going with a mid range 12x50 ($800-$1200) like the Vortex Razor HDs (28.7 oz) figuring I can replace the 8x42s and 15x56 with one set of binos in my harness and put them on a tripod when glassing further distances. I'll also shave off about 2.5lbs from my current setup.

So all that to ask, have any of you attempted to streamline your optics setup, going from 15x56 to 12x50s and wish you had your 15x56s back? I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Instead of that Sig 2200, I would have picked up the Sig 3000 BDX binos to replace the 8x42s and continue to take the 15s.

SLM

FNG
I use both 15’ and 12’s and don’t ever feel handicapped with the 12’s. I’m not couse hunting so maybe that would change? Not sure I would want 12’s as my only option though.

In that price range I’d skip the Vortex and look at Meopta.

TSimons9

FNG
You won’t regret a thing. I went from vortex diamondback 10x42 and vortex vulture 15x56 to vortex razor 12x50 and i never felt that I needed that extra 3x. I have since upgraded from the razor to GPO Passion HD 12.5x50 they are in my opinion a significant step up from the razors in brightness and edge clarity. They run around 1300 brand new and a lot cheaper used. I am also an AZ Coues addict, good luck this year.

OP
AZ SpotStalker
Thanks for the replies.

@Bubblehide - I started with that thinking but did research on rangefinder binos and came to the conclusion that i want separate units. I also don't like the bulk of the RF bino when stalking game. I want something light and easy to range with. I also don't want to drop another $700

@TSimons9 - Thanks for the affirmation. I would say that 75% of my hunting is for coues so your words are encouraging. I'll check out the GPOs. Good luck to you as well!

WKR
I have used only 15s, went to 12s and now I own both. I use the 15s if I am glassing a short distance from the truck or my wife will use them. I carry the 12s and a spotter if I am heading in farther away from the truck. You can't go wrong with either set up for coues. Check out the meopta 12x50, on dvor(optics planet) for 1K. Sold my razors and are much happier with the meopta.

A few years ago, I gave up my SLC 15’s and went with 12’s. I had similar thoughts and it was a giant mistake for me personally. At first I liked the 12’s and thought I had made a great choice. As time went on, about a year I knew I made a mistake.

I since have went back to 10x on my chest and 15x SLC’s in my pack.

A few of the reasons-
Long Distance or detailed glassing on the tripod I noticed the 12’s lacked. It’s not a big difference, but after time I felt like I missed more detail. To me the 3x more power was very noticeable and the 56mm objective Of the 15x56 really can’t be beat, especially in those precious moments of low light.

The biggest reason was however handholding 12’s. I’m a tripod guy 80% of the time. But after I thought about it, there is a multitude of times it’s not possible, ie still hunting, checking the “next side” as more country comes into view, off the back of my mules or just walking around and seeing something “Bucky” that needs checked out. In fact my 10’s are in and out of my chest pack hundreds of times every day as I hunt. And it’s got me a lot of deer. 12’s are just flat out not as stable to handhold. Some of me has leaned towards 8’s for this reason, but to me the 10’s are perfect. Imo there is nothing like image stability when spotting deer, an ear, antler tip, you name it.

Good luck man, a lot of guys are pretty high on 12’s but they flat out are not for me.

OP
AZ SpotStalker
A few years ago, I gave up my SLC 15’s and went with 12’s. I had similar thoughts and it was a giant mistake for me personally. At first I liked the 12’s and thought I had made a great choice. As time went on, about a year I knew I made a mistake.

A few of the reasons-
Long Distance or detailed glassing on the tripod I noticed the 12’s lacked. It’s not a big difference, but after time I felt like I missed more detail. To me the 3x more power was very noticeable and the 56mm objective Of the 15x56 really can’t be beat, especially in those precious moments of low light.

The biggest reason was however handholding 12’s. I’m a tripod guy 80% of the time. But after I thought about it, there is a multitude of times it’s not possible, ie still hunting, checking the “next side” as more country comes into view, off the back of my mules or just walking around and seeing something “Bucky” that needs checked out. In fact my 10’s are in and out of my chest pack hundreds of times every day as I hunt. And it’s got me a lot of deer. 12’s are just flat out not as stable to handhold. Some of me has leaned towards 8’s for this reason, but to me the 10’s are perfect. Imo there is nothing like image stability when spotting deer, an ear, antler tip, you name it.

Good luck man, a lot of guys are pretty high on 12’s but they flat out are not for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Now I’m really torn!

Kentk

FNG
Check out this post by Jake Potter. I just bought razor 12x50 a month ago with the same mindset. Seems like the kind of thing you got to try out for yourself.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Have 10x50 slc, bought and sold 2 pairs of 15 slc, bought and sold 15 HD, and now I have the 12x50 el for two years now. Always have my ats65 spotter anyways and I really dig the setup. Carry the 12s on my chest and are great for quick checks handheld but primary use is off a tripod.

I had meopta 15x56 and sold them for Swarovski 12x50 and I’ve been happy with it. That said, I don’t think I’d give up meopta 15s for anything less than Swarovski or maybe Leica 12s. I loved those meoptas.

A few of the reasons-

Below is why I would not be without 15s or a large objective spotter:
But hey, to each their own.

Attachments

• P1010513.jpg
    P1010513.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010512.jpg
    P1010512.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 69

WRO

WKR

A few of the reasons-

Exact opposite for me, I dumped my 8x32s and 15x56s for the 12x50els.. I still miss my 8x32s, but never my 15s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
You won’t regret a thing. I went from vortex diamondback 10x42 and vortex vulture 15x56 to vortex razor 12x50 and i never felt that I needed that extra 3x. I have since upgraded from the razor to GPO Passion HD 12.5x50 they are in my opinion a significant step up from the razors in brightness and edge clarity. They run around 1300 brand new and a lot cheaper used. I am also an AZ Coues addict, good luck this year.
I feel like this isn't a great comparison since diamondback and vultures are both the lower end glass compared to the razors and gpo. Put the gpo's up against similar quality 15's and you might think differently.

OP
AZ SpotStalker
I had meopta 15x56 and sold them for Swarovski 12x50 and I’ve been happy with it. That said, I don’t think I’d give up meopta 15s for anything less than Swarovski or maybe Leica 12s. I loved those meoptas.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've decided to keep the 15s another season.

OP
AZ SpotStalker
Below is why I would not be without 15s or a large objective spotter:
But hey, to each their own.

Nice bucks! My only coues was taken with a rifle a few years ago - He's in the 100" club too! It's hard for me to take anything under 90" and they are damn hard to kill with a bow. I've since chased both mulies and coues but find myself favoring coues.

Man I’m in same boat right now. I’m either going 12 ELs or 15 SLCs. I primarily backpack hunt highcountry so the weight savings of the ELs is nice. In general seems most people like the 15s over the 12s.