Anyone Regret Modifying Their Kimber Rifle?

sargent

WKR
I've got a Kimber hunter .308 on the way. I'm planning on topping it with lightweight talley rings and mounting a Leupold VX3HD 3.5x10x40 CDS ZL scope. I've also entertained the idea of lightening the gun by removing the gel in the stock and shortening the barrel. Has anyone done these modifications and wished they'd left their rifle how it was?

hflier

WKR
I shortened the barrel on my Kimber Mountain Ascent (.280 Ackley) to 22". No regret, I think accuracy improved - it shoots less than 1/4" moa with factory ELD-X ammo.

mt100gr.

WKR
No regrets here. I chopped (DIY) my 6.5cm to 17" and pulled every last bit of gel out of the stock. The Kimber Hunter rifles were made to modify!

I had my Montana cut down and rebored, repaired a cracked in the stock, bedded it, swapped out the bolt handle and trigger guard to cut weight. Totally worth it.

OP
sargent

sargent

WKR
My scope and ammo are due to arrive today and it looks like the rifle will be in early next week. I might shoot it in it's stock configuration first, but I'll probably start chopping it up soon.

Sled

WKR
I cut mine to 17" and wish I would have left it an inch or two longer. It's still really loud with my 5" suppressor. I also wish the rifle was smother functioning but that's another topic.

kad11

WKR
I have a 270 Hunter that I left alone - it's 7.25# with a SWFA 3-9. I think the 24" barrel and long action go with lighter monolithic bullets like PB&J. Recoil is modest at that weight.

I just did surgery on a 6.5 Hunter - pulled the gel out of the stock and cut the barrel to 18". It's about 5.6# scoped. I haven't shot it yet but am excited about the low weight and compact package. I'll be using conventional bullets with this rifle due to the reduced muzzle velocity.

I really like the Kimber Hunters and don't think you can go wrong either way - leave it stock or start cutting stuff off.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I like the smaller carrying size of cutting my Hunter in 7-08 down to 18.5”. I also took the gel out of the stock and painted the it too. I prefer it this way, but I bought it knowing I wanted to do it this way. You won’t go wrong one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk