Anyone regret using a non HD/apo spotting scope?

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at a meopta s1 75. Both apo and non apo are available, but the cost difference is about 600$. I think all the spotters I’ve used in the past have been HD glass.
Any insight on the optical differences? Is it a must have? Will it affect lower light performance? Or how about glassing against snowy backgrounds etc?

ILPete

FNG
Generally speaking, if you're gonna Invest in alpha brand spotting scopes you should get the HD/apo versions. The sharpness and clearness is usually significant at the higher powers. However I've not used the Meopta S1 75.

I have never used the Meopta S1 75 but I own the Meostar S2 HD with the 30-60 WA eyepiece and the Meopta TGA 75 with the 30x fixed and the 20-60 eyepieces. I believe the TGA 75 is the same glass as the S1 75 since they use the same eyepiece. The S2 is a little clearer but it also has a bigger objective lens too. The TGA 75 is nice glass and while the draw tube design has some disadvantages over a traditional scope, there are some situations where i prefer it over the S2. That said, I would go with an HD model over a non-HD one AS LONG AS THEY ARE THE SAME MODEL. Just being HD means nothing as is easily seen if you compare a non-HD Meostar bino to an Meopro HD bino. The non-HD Meostar bino is hands down better in all categories.