Anyone reloading for bear defense?

Pgohil

WKR
Is anyone reloading for grizzly defense? I'm getting ready to work up a load for my 329 PD and I'm torn between using the 240 grain SWC Keith bullets I got from Missouri bullet company, and buying some heavy hitting factory loads possibly heavier bullets.

Obviously the main thing is going to be maximum penetration With a solid lead / copper bullet.

I looked at some of the Lehigh defense bullets that claimed great penetration but you might as well buy the factory ammo with them as to the bullets separately.

PGohil
WV

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I do. I've got two loads for my 454 casull. A 300 grain hard cast solid, and a 300 grain solid copper Keith style bullet from cutting edge bullets. I've shot the solid copper ones clean through a 4 cylinder engine block. The issue with solid copper bullets, is they are longer for the same weight, so you lose a bit of capacity. The solid copper load is probably 300 fps slower than the lead load

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I do. I've got two loads for my 454 casull. A 300 grain hard cast solid, and a 300 grain solid copper Keith style bullet from cutting edge bullets. I've shot the solid copper ones clean through a 4 cylinder engine block. The issue with solid copper bullets, is they are longer for the same weight, so you lose a bit of capacity. The solid copper load is probably 300 fps slower than the lead load

One day I'd like to have a 454 for sure. What powder are you putting behind the hard cast and the copper? Also on that hard cast, what's the hardness rating on it?

The Keith bullets I bought are bn 18, but elsewhere I read you need at least 19 for better penetration. I'm completely out of my league here and really don't know what the hell im talking about, but doing my best to learn

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
H110 behind both, the charge for the copper bullet was about 25% less powder (22 ish vs 30 grains). I don't have a hardness tester, so I couldn't tell you a number, and I cast them myself with a bit of an odd alloy (alloyed with copper, supposedly 2% copper can get the hardness up to the high 20's to low 30's without making the bullets brittle) They crushed very well.

I buy the Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game rounds loaded with Lehigh copper bullets. Seeing as I don't need the best accuracy, I trust Buffalo Bore, and put my limited reloading time towards making the most accurate hunting rounds that I can.

I am also using the 329pd, and I think the lighter weight copper bullet is a perfect match for it.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I buy the Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game rounds loaded with Lehigh copper bullets. Seeing as I don't need the best accuracy, I trust Buffalo Bore, and put my limited reloading time towards making the most accurate hunting rounds that I can.

I am also using the 329pd, and I think the lighter weight copper bullet is a perfect match for it.
The problem is that the dangerous game bullets tends to creep forward with the high recoil of the 329 PD. Even Buffalo bore agrees to that. That's why they made the reduced recoil loads for the 329 PD

The problem is that the dangerous game bullets tends to creep forward with the high recoil of the 329 PD. Even Buffalo bore agrees to that. That's why they made the reduced recoil loads for the 329 PD
Good to know, I haven't had any issues with my rounds. Always good to have a some calipers at the range and measure the COAL after a round or two.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I think the jump is way more noticeable than is needed for calipers. Shoot five and checks the sixth and usually it's grown out of the cannular.

dla

WKR
For some ideas on crimp pulling:

And there is load data too.

I like 23.5gr of H110/W296 behind MBC's 240gr Keith for 1250fps from my 329.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
For some ideas on crimp pulling:

And there is load data too.

I like 23.5gr of H110/W296 behind MBC's 240gr Keith for 1250fps from my 329.
Have you done any penetration tests with those bullets?

dla

WKR
Have you done any penetration tests with those bullets?
I tested 255gr Cast Performance WFN and 240gr XTP against back to back Elk knuckles. They penetrated and stayed together.
I also tested 240gr Oregon Trail SWC - they exited in pieces.
It is hard to do gel penetration tests as the WFN usually penetrate 5+ feet (from other testing I've seen).

You can search and see if you can find "linebaugh penetration tests" ~30yrs ago.