Anyone rocking a Leupold FX/Fixed scope?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey!

have been strongly considering purchasing a Leupold Fx fixed power scope in either a 4x or 6x.

Rifle in question is a 30-06 Finnlight. I don't have any friends with one, nor do I know anyone with experience with them. Any opinions from those with experience?

Mike.

VernAK

WKR
About all I use.... 6x36....6x42....2.5x ultralight and several 3x.

I've used em for 45 years without failures......a great hunting scope with minimal knobs or excessively large ocular....

Durability is my primary goal as I fly into the bush for a 10 day hunt, I don't carry spare rifles nor scopes.

1 of my good friends hunts with a FX 6 on a 350 Rem Mag, it always works without any issues. He's been using fixed power scopes most of his life and he's in his mid 40's. I use a fixed 4 power on 1 of my 243, it's a short barrel brush gun, it's always on the rite power for deer hunting. another buddy shoots a straight 10 power on his 22-250 for shooting rock chucks, it's to much power for me but he swears by it

WKR
I've got a 4x on one of my 7.62x39, similar ballistics, and it's about perfect.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7stw

WKR
I ran an 8 fx on my .220 swift for many years killed lots of coyotes and prarie dogs with that setup. I have a 12 fx on my 223 prarie dog rig as as well. Solid scopes light durable. When I finish my ultralight 6.5-06 build probably going to top it with a 6 fx and have the custom shop put a varmint reticle in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a fixed Leupold 4x scope on my 30-06.

My wife has a 6x36mm Leupold fixed power scope on her 25-06.

My Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington has a fixed power 6x42mm Leupold on it.

Fixed power is all I have ever used on any of my rifles until I purchased my first variable for my .280 AI I had built. A 6x42mm Leupold would have served me just as well as the variable I am currently using. I like the fixed power scopes a lot! They are light, clear, and tough as nails.

My first rifle which is now my son's has a fixed 4x Weaver scope on his 6mm Remington. It's still on that rifle today.

I have never felt handicapped with a fixed power scope on close-up shots or longer range shots..

Last edited:

mtnhntr

WKR
I run only Leupold scopes have a mix of both fixed and variable power set-ups. I do find that the fixed power scopes are more consistent than the variables no matter what the experts have to say. They're simple and straightforward, and the prices show. A fixed power Leupold retails for more than their 2-7 or 3-9. I have a fixed 6x on my favorite a custom built 8mm Mauser and wouldn't have it any other way - shot everything from dall sheep in the NWT to kudu in Africa with it without fail.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I do not...yet. I will very likely get a 4x leupold for the rifle I'm putting together now. A model seven in .308. I currently have a 2.5x burris scout scope on a Savage Scout rifle. No problems with it, and honestly a better hunting tool than many other similar priced variables in my opinion. Of course that is considering my local terrain where 200 yards is a long shot. I expect 4x to be enough for 300 yard shots and not overpowering for the sub 50 yard shots I often take here in MS.

If I lived further West, I would probably be leaning towards a 6x.

It does seem the overwhelming majority of hunters recommend variables. I just think the advantages are overstated and until you get into the $1000 plus price range, the consistency is suspect and there is no great advantage for shooting within 300 yards. I have a 16 pound KMW Sentinel with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 3-18x scope. Great gun for long range shooting and some other specific tasks. For hunting though, a simple, lightweight bolt gun with a fixed scope of a sensible power is a very efficient and reliable tool. I'll let you know if my opinions change after doing some hunting with the 4x I may buy soon.

I could really go into some detail on why a 4x is just as good as a 3-9x within 300 yards, but I need to get off the PC in a minute. Outside 300 yards the variable or additional magnification is no advantage unless you also add an accurate and consistent method of trajectory compensation. Meaning a well thought out BDC reticle or exposed and properly marked turrets. Granted my experience lies more in target shooting than hunting, but if you want more on that, let me know.