Anyone running a 20x bino?

Beendare

WKR
I like my old Zeiss 15x60's but ever since meeting Randy Ulmer years ago with his 20x Stabilized Zeiss around his neck I've always thought that 20x would be about perfect for a tripod bino.

If you have a comparison between 2....thats even better!

I'm seriously looking at the Nikon Monarch 5 20x. There is one old positive review on Bird forum...but that was all I could find. I see where the Monarch 5 line is considered excellent and just a tad below the top glass...and i know the HG's are great....just wondering if anyone has used any 20x...or that monarch 5 model.

Any 20x users out there?

rayporter

WKR
i run 25x orions on tripod for long rang varmint shooting. love them. we have 2 sets of 30x orions in the group and they are beyond awesome.

both are a tad on the heavy side and it does take a very very steady tripod. i think my tripod weighs 16 lb.

magedon44

FNG
Beendare- im in the same boat. I cant decide what to do. I have a pair of Swaro 10x42 so thats what im comparing glass too. I want a light weight set for packing in, setting on a tripod and glassing. Alot of guys in Pa long range hunt with bigeyes, two spotting scopes mounted in a bracket. I personally dont want to carry all that. I was set on 15x but after comparing side by side to my 10x42s i think i want a little more magnification. Ive been kicking the 20x around but read mixed reviews on the kibabs. I went and looked though the Cabelas Euro Instinct HD 15x56 and they are right there with swaro in my opinion. They are the same bino as the Meopta just Cabelas label on them. I called Meopta to verify this and spoke to Matt. he suggested going 15x56 with the 30x doubler. Sounds pretty simple to pop on and really zoom in if need be.. My heads still spinning over it all but if you find any good reviews or new 20x binos on the market pass them my way. Good luck..

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
One good thread on the bino section of Birdforum about 4 pages in on the 20x monarch 5's as i recall.

i've tried the doublers...pretty disappointing...and many buddies agree.

i have a vortx viper 15x50...they are good for around your neck moving glassing stuff...but on a tripod my big zeiss 15x60s kill them...plus those big porro prism binos give you a good 3d image.

Those Meoptas are excellent glass for the $$ especially if you buy them on sale...which they do about 2x a year.

My big 15s are good to a mile or so...but trying to assess trophy quality at 2-3 miles they fall short.

This whole big glass thing is so affected by heat waves and such......i'm not sure the 5x power is worth the extra effort.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like the new Swaro BTX might be a better option then the dedicated big eyes, no?

Wow, I guess I will never be getting a BTX. $2700 fo just the eye piece and then another $1000-$2000 for the Lens. Seem to be a great piece of gear but dang.

WRO

WKR
I've run the kowas, but they're 4k and weigh a lot.

I'd imagine anything with cheap glass and high power to pretty much be dissapointing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk