Anyone running a day pack w dry bag in the meat shelf?

Antares

WKR
G’day All

I’m looking at my first pack and contemplating the pros/cons of a pack setup which allows for a self supporting hike in (40 lbs plus water/food), set up then a few days of hunting with a day pack from the camp location.

I’m thinking ab a Kuiu 2300 pro or stryker xl with all kit required for daily hunts and carrying a dry bag (Kuiu Taku or similar) in the meat tray on the way in and out with tent, sleeping/cooking kit, food etc. I like the idea of running a smaller bag which is a capable meat hauler when required and the flexibility of adding modular dry bags for short duration heavy haul hikes.

Just wondering if anyone is running a similar setup in a similar situation and whether it’s a practable option?

Many thanks

I do pretty much exactly what you're describing. Seek Outside Revolution frame w/ a Kuiu Ultra 2200 bag and a drybag on the meat shelf. Here it is with a deer on board.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 45
The zpacks airplane case came today, its huge lol. Bigger than i anticipated, laying flat it measures 22" wide x 37" tall without rolling the top to close it at all. More than plenty of room for anything i would need

Interesting, I run EXO packs but the idea of a dry bag is good one for us in Oregon, EXO has a meat net to secure meat between frame and bag, going to have to check out a dry bag now, thanks!

strongarm

FNG
I do the same with the original Nomad. I like this setup a lot.
@Scoot, @swehrman
Photos of your setups?

I was pretty set on Stryker XL for my majority use, then camp bag/lid for overnighters and short multi-days. I have been toying with the Nomad as it has higher base cubic inches, but more so the load of full camp gear + day gear (in wings of the Nomad, in this case), will stay tighter to the back as opposed to being pushed out farther in the Stryker XL + camp bag approach.

Are you using a grab it and/or a lid as well with these setups?

OP
B

Blue01

FNG
B908C8E1-9611-4015-84FF-8E9A0964A8B3.jpeg517C284A-B052-43FD-8868-E8FC70B72AD6.jpeg
After all the great input from everyone I thought I’d do an update on the original post which was looking at running a day pack sized setup with only daypack contents while utilising a dry bag for camp kit (tent, sleeping mat/bag, spare clothes and food) which can be dumped with minimal fuss.

After a lot of research I went for a exo mtn 3200 k3 and a Kuiu Taku 3000 dry bag In the load shelf

3200 contents
6lt msr dromedary bladder x 2
In line water filter
Silo 48oz nalgene water bottle
Trekking poles
Gas cooker
Small butane canister
1 medium size titanium pot
Titanium spork
Helinox zero chair
Kenai beenie
Guide x gloves
Merino 200 gloves
Kuiu Kutana rain jacket and pants
Kill kit (4 x medium kuiu meat bags, cold steel knife, dmt sharpening stones, large contractor bags, paracord and latex gloves hand sanitizer
Possibles pouch
Toothbrush and bog roll
Medi kit
DJI mini 2, 3 batteries, charger and controller
Petzl headlamp x 2
10 AA batteries
Tent poles and pegs (dumped at camp)
Marvin spotting scope

Taku 3000 contents
MSR Asgard 2 man 4 season tent
Hammock gear custom Econo quilt 10deg
Exped down mattress
Spare canis merino hooded top and bottoms
Kuiu axis hybrid pants
Spare merino socks
Puffy jacket
Peloton 240 hooded zip jacket

Total weight 18.2kgs/40.05lbs. Note - This doesn’t include food or water just the items listed
Weight is comfortable but could be reduce with a hilleberg tent -1.6kgs and ditching the chair .5kgs

Initial thoughts. The K3 is excellent for my size, weight and shape. Rock solid and very comfortable. There’s still spare room for additional items as the roll top is fully rolled down with this load.
I was concerned that the pack maybe to small for day pack loads and sit to far back with the Taku in the load shelf for pack ins. That’s not the case and the pack straps firmly to the Taku and frame with no wobbles or movement.
The Taku is approx half filled with the above load and there’s ample room for 5-6 days of food in top right 1/4 corner. It is worth noting that this setup would not work if the Taku was filled to capacity. It’s would be to large and the bag would not reattach to the top of the frame with the 3 Velcro flaps the exo uses while running the lid. If the lid is dropped those straps could be using to sinch top of the bag to the frame. Exo states the load shelf capacity at 2500cuin so I knew I wouldn’t be able to run a full Taku which was taken into consideration prior to purchase

The Taku 3000 looks very well made, storm flap handles and zips are excellent. There is a gap where the 2 zips meet so it’s not a submersible option

Attachments

• 2283C292-31B5-4FC8-BB89-997F7C807F89.jpeg
    2283C292-31B5-4FC8-BB89-997F7C807F89.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
B

Blue01

FNG
Here’s the Taku strapped to the exo frame

Attachments

• F1049F61-4506-493D-82B3-1A5851EA2423.jpeg
    F1049F61-4506-493D-82B3-1A5851EA2423.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 22
Question for all of you that have used Hyperlite or Zpack bag products in cold temps. Or better, larger volume versions on a frame pack's load shelf:

Based on an audio scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the bag material noise level when temps are less than 32F or when brushing up along branches/cover?

1 to be stealthy quiet/no noise, 10 being a bag of potato chips.

Question for all of you that have used Hyperlite or Zpack bag products in cold temps. Or better, larger volume versions on a Rev frame load shelf:

Based on an audio scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the bag material noise level when temps are less than 32F or when brushing up along branches/cover?

1 to be stealthy quiet/no noise, 10 being a bag of potato chips.
Eh I'd say its only real noisy if its not packed tightly or partly empty, maybe like a 4-5. But not an issue for me where i use it. If I'm using that setup im backpacking and im not really hunting so much with the dyneema bag on the frame, it just holds my camp gear and i have a smaller packbag cinching it to my frame. So only the sides of the zpacks bag are showing for my setup anyway

Attachments

• image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210930_173217.jpg
    20210930_173217.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 16