Anyone running a day pack w dry bag in the meat shelf?

Antares

G’day All

I’m looking at my first pack and contemplating the pros/cons of a pack setup which allows for a self supporting hike in (40 lbs plus water/food), set up then a few days of hunting with a day pack from the camp location.

I’m thinking ab a Kuiu 2300 pro or stryker xl with all kit required for daily hunts and carrying a dry bag (Kuiu Taku or similar) in the meat tray on the way in and out with tent, sleeping/cooking kit, food etc. I like the idea of running a smaller bag which is a capable meat hauler when required and the flexibility of adding modular dry bags for short duration heavy haul hikes.

Just wondering if anyone is running a similar setup in a similar situation and whether it’s a practable option?

Many thanks

I do pretty much exactly what you're describing. Seek Outside Revolution frame w/ a Kuiu Ultra 2200 bag and a drybag on the meat shelf. Here it is with a deer on board.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 22

Cameron.25

The zpacks airplane case came today, its huge lol. Bigger than i anticipated, laying flat it measures 22" wide x 37" tall without rolling the top to close it at all. More than plenty of room for anything i would need

Oregonfxstc

Interesting, I run EXO packs but the idea of a dry bag is good one for us in Oregon, EXO has a meat net to secure meat between frame and bag, going to have to check out a dry bag now, thanks!

strongarm

I do the same with the original Nomad. I like this setup a lot.
@Scoot, @swehrman
Photos of your setups?

I was pretty set on Stryker XL for my majority use, then camp bag/lid for overnighters and short multi-days. I have been toying with the Nomad as it has higher base cubic inches, but more so the load of full camp gear + day gear (in wings of the Nomad, in this case), will stay tighter to the back as opposed to being pushed out farther in the Stryker XL + camp bag approach.

Are you using a grab it and/or a lid as well with these setups?