Anyone running a day pack w dry bag in the meat shelf?

Blue01

FNG
G’day All

I’m looking at my first pack and contemplating the pros/cons of a pack setup which allows for a self supporting hike in (40 lbs plus water/food), set up then a few days of hunting with a day pack from the camp location.

I’m thinking ab a Kuiu 2300 pro or stryker xl with all kit required for daily hunts and carrying a dry bag (Kuiu Taku or similar) in the meat tray on the way in and out with tent, sleeping/cooking kit, food etc. I like the idea of running a smaller bag which is a capable meat hauler when required and the flexibility of adding modular dry bags for short duration heavy haul hikes.

Just wondering if anyone is running a similar setup in a similar situation and whether it’s a practable option?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 52CABCD1-6945-482E-9DCE-6D6F3CBD4E71.png
    52CABCD1-6945-482E-9DCE-6D6F3CBD4E71.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 79
Im gonna be running a setup like this but with a seek outside pack, i would add them to the list of ones to look at if i was you. Wish i had pics but i haven't received it yet, hopefully soon

Ok well when i say run i mean use lol. Specifically i ordered a breakaway style(integrated meat shelf) 3500 series custom in multicam xpac cause i want it to be waterproof on its own. Tired of pulling out the pack cover, i live in oregon so it comes out often lol. Then i have a dyneema drybag from zpacks(their airplane case one) that i can put in the meat shelf with my camp gear if i choose. I also ordered a base talon and Merlin daypack talon and both sets of frame extensions so i have many options and configurations i can choose from to use the pack based on my situation. Not sure how much more versatile it can get than that. I currently have 2 kuiu set ups with larger bags and i am not impressed after using them heavily hence the switch. No integrated meat shelf and it is very uncomfortable with more than 40 lbs for me even with the apex shoulder straps. Plus i have some rips on the suspension starting and it squeaks like hell. Im sure the squeaks can be addressed tho. But packs are like boots so what works/doesn't work for me will be different for the next person..

KyleR1985

WKR
I use a dry bag with shoulder straps made for kayaking. I put my whole camp setup in it. Whether I'm packing it all day or dropping camp or making camp, the few ounces of the bag makes no differnce. It's a low price to pay for versatility.

fbhandler

WKR
If I know the area I’m hunting well and have a pretty good expectation of where the game is going to be, I’ll spike out reasonably close to my initial glassing spot using my day pack and a camp bag on the meat shelf. Otherwise, I’m backpack hunting keeping my camp with me in my bigger pack... so a lot depends on how your going to hunt. If I was solely day hunting coming back to a spike camp/base camp or truck every night I’d go with the day pack set up without question.

For me, a big pack makes a lousy day pack and a day pack makes a lousy big pack and since I I find myself varying my hunting style depending on what and where I’m hunting... I need both.

Last edited:
OP
B

Blue01

FNG
I tried it with a stryker, didn’t work well for me. It just put the center of gravity too far back. First thing I did when I got back was order a 44 mag...
Thanks for the feedback. That was 1 of my concerns. All the pics I’ve seen in that configuration look like the pack extends a long way backwards as you say. Appreciate it 👍🏻

OP
B

Blue01

FNG
I've run a cpl configurations. Currently using a custom Pods8 bag on a stone glacier frame.

View attachment 266725

View attachment 266727
Thanks for the pics. Appreciate you taking the time to post and for another option to check out 👍🏻
If I know the area I’m hunting well and have a pretty good expectation of where the game is going to be, I’ll spike out reasonably close to my initial glassing spot using my day pack and a camp bag on the meat shelf. Otherwise, I’m backpack hunting keeping my camp with me in my bigger pack... so a lot depends on how your going to hunt. If I was solely day hunting coming back to a spike camp/base camp or truck every night I’d go with the day pack set up without question.

For me, a big pack makes a lousy day pack and a day pack makes a lousy big pack and since I I find myself varying my hunting style depending on what and where I’m hunting... I need both.
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the style of hunting I’ll be going will suit the small day pack option 👍🏻

OP
B

Blue01

FNG

You’re right it’s probably to big a ask to run extended hunts from a day pack + setup. Your comment about big packs making crappy day packs resonates 👍🏻 I think if my hunts change I’ll get a big purpose build pack for continuous long haul multi day runs. Thanks

OP
B

Blue01

FNG
Ok well when i say run i mean use lol. Specifically i ordered a breakaway style(integrated meat shelf) 3500 series custom in multicam xpac cause i want it to be waterproof on its own. Tired of pulling out the pack cover, i live in oregon so it comes out often lol. Then i have a dyneema drybag from zpacks(their airplane case one) that i can put in the meat shelf with my camp gear if i choose. I also ordered a base talon and Merlin daypack talon and both sets of frame extensions so i have many options and configurations i can choose from to use the pack based on my situation. Not sure how much more versatile it can get than that. I currently have 2 kuiu set ups with larger bags and i am not impressed after using them heavily hence the switch. No integrated meat shelf and it is very uncomfortable with more than 40 lbs for me even with the apex shoulder straps. Plus i have some rips on the suspension starting and it squeaks like hell. Im sure the squeaks can be addressed tho. But packs are like boots so what works/doesn't work for me will be different for the next person..
Hey Cameron sounds like you’ve got yr set up sorted. I’ll check the Seek options out for sure. Thanks too for the honest feedback regarding the kuiu gear. Much appreciated 👍🏻

I experimented with a mystery ranch crew cab. Found I prefer having the pack bag enclose my gear. Dry bag loads were lumpy and uneven and shifted. Pain in the ass factor to get inside the pack was much higher. Required a lot of strapping.

I still use my MR rig as a trainer and as a hauler and loaner pack but I’ve since gone with a more traditional pack set up.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been doing some sort of configuration like that for awhile now. I was always looking for something where I could just "drop camp" when I got there and already be good to go for hunt mode. Here's a pic of my Stone Glacier with dry bag, not sure which SG bag that was back then. Now I use an R3 3300 bag with the dry bag. I always want to be as stream-lined as possible.
100_2463.JPG

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been trying to find a system like this for years. I started off with the Kifaru Nomad, but I don’t have a spotting scope and tripod, so the tube storage wasn’t very effective for me.

I really like the idea of the Stryker XL, but from the pictures it looks like a big dry bag, like the 5,500 Taku would set so far above your head because of how the Stryker attaches. If you look at the pictures of the Stryker with the camp bag in the load sling, you’ll see the bottom of the Stryker attaches well above the bottom of the frame which just pushes a 10 day camp load way above your head.

I’ve settled on a MR Mule on my Kifaru frame. It attaches at the bottom and has enough capacity for day hunting along with my Kifaru Xpac Guide Lid. They’re pretty inexpensive too at around $100 new if you hit up a sale.

I also built my roll top camp bag out of 500 denier cordura. It was a practice run since I’ve never really sewn before. Since it went well, I’ll make a few adjustments and then build the next bag out of Xpac.

Although, like you, I have considered the Taku. But, I like modding my gear for my needs and getting a semi HD sewing machine for under $200 made sense for me.

Besides the Taku, there’s not much on the market for dry bags once you get over the 3,000ish ci mark. So, if you need something bigger, you’ll have to go the custom route if you opt out of the Taku. Pods8, Squirrels and several others on here are very skilled sewers and easy to work with and can custom build you whatever you want.

Reactions: CNW

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I considered this when I was looking to upgrade my pack. I tend to carry a lot of gear compared to most people, but I'm a dedicated back country guy with very capable systems. I'll carry extra tools, food, and luxuries for quality of life, but trim down when I need to go longer. I decided on Stone Glacier, but debated between the 3300 solo or 6900 sky talus. If I went smaller I'd be forced to trim down my system for a lighter and more spartan system utilizing the load shelf more often, which sounds sexy in theory, but ultimately decided on more capacity. I'm very glad I did, because I often find myself loading it up and attaching an access bag on the exterior for other things. The extra capacity gives me options and more adaptability for whatever situation I find myself in. I used it for a 3 month backpacking trip through SE Asia, and it was everything I could ask for. If I used the load shelf in that situation, I'd be an easy target for theft. Also, if I decided I wanted to carry a large item like an inflatable personal packraft, I could easily put it in the load shelf without figuring out a new system or sacrificing other items for space. Thanks to the modularity of SG packs, I can use the compression straps and remove the access bag and lid and throw those in my base camp and run a very tight day pack, then when it's time to pack out everything is nice and neat.

My advice is consider your regular maximum gear usage and system and get the volume that's needed for that. Don't forget winter gear is bulkier and heavier than summer. Don't be tempted by sexy theory. If you're a truck camping guy 90% of the time, it's fine to pack camp occasionally in the load shelf. If you're a back country guy 90% of the time (heck, even 40% of the time), you'll be missing that extra capacity. You're stuck with what you got. As they like to say, there's no replacement for displacement.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to find a system like this for years. I started off with the Kifaru Nomad, but I don’t have a spotting scope and tripod, so the tube storage wasn’t very effective for me.

I really like the idea of the Stryker XL, but from the pictures it looks like a big dry bag, like the 5,500 Taku would set so far above your head because of how the Stryker attaches. If you look at the pictures of the Stryker with the camp bag in the load sling, you’ll see the bottom of the Stryker attaches well above the bottom of the frame which just pushes a 10 day camp load way above your head.

I’ve settled on a MR Mule on my Kifaru frame. It attaches at the bottom and has enough capacity for day hunting along with my Kifaru Xpac Guide Lid. They’re pretty inexpensive too at around $100 new if you hit up a sale.

I also built my roll top camp bag out of 500 denier cordura. It was a practice run since I’ve never really sewn before. Since it went well, I’ll make a few adjustments and then build the next bag out of Xpac.

Although, like you, I have considered the Taku. But, I like modding my gear for my needs and getting a semi HD sewing machine for under $200 made sense for me.

Besides the Taku, there’s not much on the market for dry bags once you get over the 3,000ish ci mark. So, if you need something bigger, you’ll have to go the custom route if you opt out of the Taku. Pods8, Squirrels and several others on here are very skilled sewers and easy to work with and can custom build you whatever you want.
That zpacks airplane case drybag i ordered weighs 3.2 oz and is like 4000ish CI from what i can tell, it arrives monday so not 100% on that yet but thats according to their site. Has a side handle too. Its dyneema so its not cheap tho.

I also had a whole kifaru set up in my cart with the stryker xl and really was leaning towards it but decided against it in the end due to overall weight and water resistance mainly. Will be looking at it again possibly if for some reason the seek outside frame doesnt work out for me

OP
B

Blue01

FNG
I've been doing some sort of configuration like that for awhile now. I was always looking for something where I could just "drop camp" when I got there and already be good to go for hunt mode. Here's a pic of my Stone Glacier with dry bag, not sure which SG bag that was back then. Now I use an R3 3300 bag with the dry bag. I always want to be as stream-lined as possible.
View attachment 266884
Thanks for your input I do like that idea of drop camp in 1 dry bag and be ready to hunt. Think I’ll pursue the concept 👍🏻

OP
B

Blue01

FNG
I considered this when I was looking to upgrade my pack. I tend to carry a lot of gear compared to most people, but I'm a dedicated back country guy with very capable systems. I'll carry extra tools, food, and luxuries for quality of life, but trim down when I need to go longer. I decided on Stone Glacier, but debated between the 3300 solo or 6900 sky talus. If I went smaller I'd be forced to trim down my system for a lighter and more spartan system utilizing the load shelf more often, which sounds sexy in theory, but ultimately decided on more capacity. I'm very glad I did, because I often find myself loading it up and attaching an access bag on the exterior for other things. The extra capacity gives me options and more adaptability for whatever situation I find myself in. I used it for a 3 month backpacking trip through SE Asia, and it was everything I could ask for. If I used the load shelf in that situation, I'd be an easy target for theft. Also, if I decided I wanted to carry a large item like an inflatable personal packraft, I could easily put it in the load shelf without figuring out a new system or sacrificing other items for space. Thanks to the modularity of SG packs, I can use the compression straps and remove the access bag and lid and throw those in my base camp and run a very tight day pack, then when it's time to pack out everything is nice and neat.

My advice is consider your regular maximum gear usage and system and get the volume that's needed for that. Don't forget winter gear is bulkier and heavier than summer. Don't be tempted by sexy theory. If you're a truck camping guy 90% of the time, it's fine to pack camp occasionally in the load shelf. If you're a back country guy 90% of the time (heck, even 40% of the time), you'll be missing that extra capacity. You're stuck with what you got. As they like to say, there's no replacement for displacement.
Plenty of good advice there mate, many thanks. You’re right there’s no bag that suits all styles of hunting and wide variety of gear/weight/volume requirements. A couple of creature comforts always good too 😎 All the best 👍🏻

OP
B

Blue01

FNG

I like your thinking good on you for having a crack at modifying your own setup. Sometime it’s the only way to get it right. Coincidentally I was looking at a HD sewing machine a few months ago 😂
You make a good point that the dry bag setup does lock the max volume and makes it almost impossible to modify to accommodate a new bit of kit without major changes.
Thanks for your insights and heads up on members doing custom work, much appreciated