Anyone running a day pack w dry bag in the meat shelf?

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
That zpacks airplane case drybag i ordered weighs 3.2 oz and is like 4000ish CI from what i can tell, it arrives monday so not 100% on that yet but thats according to their site. Has a side handle too. Its dyneema so its not cheap tho.

I also had a whole kifaru set up in my cart with the stryker xl and really was leaning towards it but decided against it in the end due to overall weight and water resistance mainly. Will be looking at it again possibly if for some reason the seek outside frame doesnt work out for me

Hmm... I stand corrected. I’ve been on Z-Packs site many times and bought a handful of stuff from them, but I don’t remember ever seeing that big bag before, and I’ve even gone there looking for that exact thing. I wonder if it’s a new item. Let us know how it works out for you once you get it and stuff it.

I really really like the Stryker and I’ve been very tempted to get a used one and cut it up and re-sew into the configuration I think it should be in, but I’m scared.. Maybe after a few more sewing projects, I might have the confidence/know how to attempt it. But, I like what I have for now.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I like your thinking good on you for having a crack at modifying your own setup. Sometime it’s the only way to get it right. Coincidentally I was looking at a HD sewing machine a few months ago
You make a good point that the dry bag setup does lock the max volume and makes it almost impossible to modify to accommodate a new bit of kit without major changes.
Thanks for your insights and heads up on members doing custom work, much appreciated

I ended up mail ordering a Singer HD 4452. It works fine for my needs, but it does struggle when the layers start building up. It’s comes with 30 or so different stitch types, but once the layers start piling up, your really only limited to a straight stitch, which most DIY sewers say is perfectly fine for gear.

I did a roll top duffle type bag for my camp bag just so that I could make the roll top a bit long to accommodate later/colder hunts and the extra gear associated with that time of year.

Hmm... I stand corrected. I’ve been on Z-Packs site many times and bought a handful of stuff from them, but I don’t remember ever seeing that big bag before, and I’ve even gone there looking for that exact thing. I wonder if it’s a new item. Let us know how it works out for you once you get it and stuff it.

I really really like the Stryker and I’ve been very tempted to get a used one and cut it up and re-sew into the configuration I think it should be in, but I’m scared.. Maybe after a few more sewing projects, I might have the confidence/know how to attempt it. But, I like what I have for now.
I will let you know, sir. Gonna be a while longer before my seek pack arrives i imagine but I'll post pics after i stuff the zpacks bag on monday evening. Its so lightweight i thought it was worth a try

Voyageur

WKR
That zpacks airplane case drybag i ordered weighs 3.2 oz and is like 4000ish CI from what i can tell, it arrives monday so not 100% on that yet but thats according to their site. Has a side handle too. Its dyneema so its not cheap tho.

I also had a whole kifaru set up in my cart with the stryker xl and really was leaning towards it but decided against it in the end due to overall weight and water resistance mainly. Will be looking at it again possibly if for some reason the seek outside frame doesnt work out for me
@Cameron.25 would you be so kind as to provide a link to the Zpacks airplane case drybag you refer to? I have been to their site, but am unable to find it.
Thanks.

prm

WKR
G’day All

I’m looking at my first pack and contemplating the pros/cons of a pack setup which allows for a self supporting hike in (40 lbs plus water/food), set up then a few days of hunting with a day pack from the camp location.

I’m thinking ab a Kuiu 2300 pro or stryker xl with all kit required for daily hunts and carrying a dry bag (Kuiu Taku or similar) in the meat tray on the way in and out with tent, sleeping/cooking kit, food etc. I like the idea of running a smaller bag which is a capable meat hauler when required and the flexibility of adding modular dry bags for short duration heavy haul hikes.

Just wondering if anyone is running a similar setup in a similar situation and whether it’s a practable option?

Many thanks
I do exactly what you describe with the Stryker. I've done the same thing with the Nomad II and now have a Stryker XL. I think it's the perfect setup for me. Packed 5-6 day worth of stuff for CO rifle hunts. I've used a couple different bags including the 55L OR dry bag, a lighter version of that OR bag, Eberlestock Camp bag, and a cheap bag I got on Amazon. It all works fine. Once at camp it comes out, snug down the straps and ready to hunt. I keep all my day hunt stuff in the pack bag. The day hunt stuff isn't heavy.

Edit: That Z-Packs bag looks like a great option.

Last edited:
Yes, I did it on my first elk hunt. KUIU 1850 bag and their XXL dry bag in the meat shelf. Worked fine for 7 days in muzzleloader season, and it’s nice being able to pull camp out in one bag if you either know where you’re going to camp for the whole trip ahead of time OR you don’t necessarily want to make camp, but you don‘t want to pack it all up to the top of the mountain because you know there isn’t water up high anyways.

I actually prefer it for many situations, it seems easier to keep your hunting stuff organized with a smaller pack, the downside is space is tight so everything has to be dialed in and in its place. It does slow down packing up camp in the morning as you can’t just throw everything in the main pack and cinch it down.

The last trip I took a KUIU 5500 bag where we ended up carrying our camp with us more of the time and moving sites every couple days. It worked very well also, and has a little bit more space than the other setup due to the height it offers. I did something similar, using the dry bag inside the pack to stuff my camp and clothes into. It replaces the need for a rain cover and still allows you to easily stash gear. I’ll likely keep using the larger pack for 5+ day backcountry hunts, the smaller pack is still awesome for day hunts though.

Attachments

• 8BCB5685-EBC1-4D0B-B617-85BE3DE4784B.jpeg
    8BCB5685-EBC1-4D0B-B617-85BE3DE4784B.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 60

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

This might be of interest. I am releasing a cargo bucket for a camp or meat. It is mainly intended to carry boned out meat conveniently.

So far I know it will fit on a Kuiu and Kifaru, but with the strap options included I would say it can be made to fit on any frame. If not, I would 100% refund. Watch the thread for the sales link. There will be a one time discount code for the first ten.

20210225_181734.jpg20210225_181949.jpg20210225_181802.jpg

This might be of interest. I am releasing a cargo bucket for a camp or meat. It is mainly intended to carry boned out meat conveniently.

So far I know it will fit on a Kuiu and Kifaru, but with the strap options included I would say it can be made to fit on any frame. If not, I would 100% refund. Watch the thread for the sales link. There will be a one time discount code for the first ten.

View attachment 268291View attachment 268293View attachment 268294
Dude you keep teasing us with these awesome inventions on different threads, keep it up! im definitely interested in a few of them lol. Especially the new lightweight shooting bag and rifle sling

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dude you keep teasing us with these awesome inventions on different threads, keep it up! im definitely interested in a few of them lol. Especially the new lightweight shooting bag and rifle sling
LOL, "Coming Soon!" Has been a theme. I have everything in the website for the new products except some pics that I am loading up! I promise, its actually coming...

OP
B

Blue01

FNG
Yes, I did it on my first elk hunt. KUIU 1850 bag and their XXL dry bag in the meat shelf. Worked fine for 7 days in muzzleloader season, and it’s nice being able to pull camp out in one bag if you either know where you’re going to camp for the whole trip ahead of time OR you don’t necessarily want to make camp, but you don‘t want to pack it all up to the top of the mountain because you know there isn’t water up high anyways.

I actually prefer it for many situations, it seems easier to keep your hunting stuff organized with a smaller pack, the downside is space is tight so everything has to be dialed in and in its place. It does slow down packing up camp in the morning as you can’t just throw everything in the main pack and cinch it down.

The last trip I took a KUIU 5500 bag where we ended up carrying our camp with us more of the time and moving sites every couple days. It worked very well also, and has a little bit more space than the other setup due to the height it offers. I did something similar, using the dry bag inside the pack to stuff my camp and clothes into. It replaces the need for a rain cover and still allows you to easily stash gear. I’ll likely keep using the larger pack for 5+ day backcountry hunts, the smaller pack is still awesome for day hunts though.
Good to know the practicalities of running that setup thanks for taking the time to reply and for the pic. Awesome 👍🏻
Think I’ll pull the trigger on the Pro 2300 with the Taku 3000 as a dry bag and see how it goes

OP
B

Blue01

FNG

View attachment 268291View attachment 268293View attachment 268294
Nice work mate 👍🏻

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
Not as pretty coming down as going up but it worked for a season. I didnt like it as much as I thought I would so Im going back to a bigger pack. I did like having camp in a dry bag though so that may stick around.
IMG_0748.JPG

Voyageur

WKR
Not as pretty coming down as going up but it worked for a season. I didnt like it as much as I thought I would so Im going back to a bigger pack. I did like having camp in a dry bag though so that may stick around.
What type of pack is shown in the picture?

Last edited:

Zpacks order arrived yesterday but the airplane case is missing lol. Bastards