Anyone running a Kimber 300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag?

Muttly

WKR
So a couple thoughts behind going with the heavier rifle.. Mostly looking at the 280 in the lighter version, either the 7mm or the 300 be a LOT easier to find ammo for if running low on time to reload.. As far as recoil, thinking either of the bigger ones should,nt be too bad, guessing the 7 be 7-08 level, the 300 308-ish.. be fine for goofing off at the range and such, can pull the brake when hunting if desired, try to keep from getting newer and more exciting tones in the constant ring tone I already hear..
Either one just a little flatter shooting, should be able to run slightly heavier bullets..

Some of the pluses kinda double edged..26" barrel get a scoshe more velocity, little more unwieldy in the brush than a 24"..
Comparing the MAs, an extra pound for the bigger action..catch myself wondering if maybe the extra weight would make it a little easier to stabilise after huffing and puffin up a hill?

Looking for feedback, for anybody that has a 7mm or 300, do you like them, is the extra weight worth dealing with?? Recoil an issue? Is it worth dealing with the extra bit of barrel to get a little more velocity? Mostly favor the 7mm at this point, thinking for a weekend warrior like me, should be good for most critters in Alaska cept big bears...

Last edited:

7stw

WKR
I have a kimber 8400 in 300 win mag. Wood stocked version. Great rifle I've killed a couple elk with it and loaned it to some friends for elk hunts as well. Has killed three elk for them. It weights right at 8lbs without glass. A Zeiss 3.5-10x44 and talley rings loaded with three rounds its right at nine pounds. Recoil feels like a 300 win mag in a nine pound gun. Manageable but damn sure more than 308 win in a seven pound gun. I shoot 180 gn Barnes x bullets over h4831 sc mine shoots very well. I killed an elk in New Mexico at 397 and a friend that used it killed his at 460. Mine does not have a break on it. Mine has a 24" barrel not exactly sure which model your looking at I have an 8400 select grade. My hunting partner has an ascent in 280 ai and even the mild 280 in that light of a gun has some recoil. Manageable but still there. Worked up a load for another guys .308 in their newer hunter model and with 180 gn accubonds that shot the best recoil was more like 30-06 feel. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

mmac

WKR
I have an 8400 wood 300 win mag. I love it. I have 5 coopers and I would say that I may have lucked out as it is as accurate as most of them. Mine is a 26 in barrel and I shoot 200 gr accubonds over H4831sc. It is about 3/4 inch MOA rifle with that. The barrel is thin, it is lighter than most and I don't have a break. But, the recoil is very comfortable compared to my other 300's. First shots with it were factory ammo and I was amazed and it does well with just about anything. I should add that it would misfire at first so I sent it back and then confirmed the firing pin was too short and they installed another one. But service was great and I never had complaints about how they handled it.