Anyone shoot an elk with a pack on?

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering if anybody took a shoot with their pack still on. If so was it your main pack or day pack and did you hit or miss? I've been doing some shooting with my pack on just in case and I have to say its not easy. It cuts my kill range down to about 30yrds.

lintond

WKR
I didn't get to shoot at anything, but I did practice shooting with my pack on. I was using the bikini DT2 with my day gear. When I did setup and call I took my pack off to help keep noise down.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I did with with day gear. I practiced a lot with it loaded up and it took getting use to. But come crunch time never even thought about it. And yes I connected with stick bow 25yds.

trkyslr

WKR
I killed all my elk with my pack on. My first bull was a 50 yard shot with no issues as i double lunged him and he went only about 60 yards.

velvetfvr

WKR
I haven't shot any animals with a pack on yet but I make sure I can shoot with all my gear on me. Never know when you might have a shot at an animal.

ElkNut1

WKR
We shoot all our animals with our packs on! To date have never removed a pack yet. Remove them & lose them or take way too much time re-locating them! (grin)

ElkNut1

Shot most with a day pack on, but only this one with a full camp pack on. It was a 65lbs pack as I was planning on staying the week in comfort. He bulged and came to a cow call right on the forest service trail. All I had time to do was kneel and knock an arrow. It was only a 20 yard shot. You can see my pack in the upper right corner.

Yep be prepared for everything. It's a good practice to have keeping the pack off. I'd hate to take your pack off and leave it lay and forget about it.

KMT

WKR
Last year I shot my elk while wearing my pack. This year I had it off. I only have one pack, which is my day pack and my main pack. It's a DT2.

a3dhunter

WKR
Yes, last year the shot was 65 yards with a Timberline 1 on my back.

Had a shot this year on a 5 point with the pack on, botched the shot and ended up with a long blood trail and nothing at the end of it, lost the elk.

The pack doesn't hinder my shooting, I hike/hunt so much with it on that it just feels like part of me.

JPD350

WKR
I shot my elk with my T2 on, the first thing I did when I knew I was going to have an opportunity was reach up and loosen the shoulder straps, went to full draw with the bull at 5 or 6 yds, no restriction or noise at all.

the only time my pack comes off is when I take a nap on the mountain or need to get something out of it and then again when I put one on the ground.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's entirely situational. Sometimes you need to ditch it to stalk a bedded bull and sometimes the bull surprises you. To me it's a good idea to practice with both pack and bino harness on sometimes. If you're not used to shooting with a pack it's amazing how much of a difference they can make to your accuracy past 40yds. The point is sometimes you'll barely have enough time to nock an arrow let alone take your pack off whilst other times you are not only shedding your pack but boots and anything else that might make too much noise when stalking a bedded bull. Knowing you are equally as confident in your shot placement with or without a backpack can be paramount

OP
M

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Good info guys looks like I'll be shooting alot more with my pack on. If the neighbbors thought I was crazy they will know it now.

littlebuf

Banned
Shot my bull this year at 67 yards with my T1 on my back. Honestly didn't even think about it. I'm just used to having it on.

slim9300

WKR
I killed my bull this year with my Kifaru BT1 on in daypack mode (probably 20 lbs). At about 60 yards I X'ed him. Honesty, I haven't shot an elk in many years without my pack on. I shoot identically with or without a pack.