Anyone shooting an ILF “longbow”?

Swayze

FNG
So I know this is not what the trad police would call a longbow, but I am intrigued by the idea. What kind of results have you found shooting LB limbs on your ILF risers?
I don’t really see too many drawbacks with a solid set of LB limbs compared to a similar sized recurve- but I am admittedly new to the traditional side of things so maybe I am missing something. Seem easier to quiet, close to recurve speeds, and on the right riser fun to shoot. Linear draw also seems to me to be an advantage, although that may be debatable. Appreciate any input as I dive down yet another hunting rabbit hole.

RCL

WKR
I too have a set of Dryad longbow limbs.
Using a VPA 13" riser it makes a nice 58" bow.
Very smooth and quiet.
I agree it is not as fast as recurve limbs, but I haven't found that to be a problem.

GLB

WKR
I’ve been considering ordering a bivouac backland with longbow limbs.
Bivouac Bows, Jim Belcher and crew are very good to deal with. I have a Backland with recurve limbs. That short riser is perfect for LB limbs if that’s what you want.

Btaylor

WKR
I have a set of the DAS LB ILF limbs on my ILF riser and it shoots just fine. A different feel than a recurve and definitely not as a fast but kills stuff just as dead as a recurve or compound or gun.

OP
Swayze

Swayze

FNG
I’ve been considering ordering a bivouac backland with longbow limbs.
Me too - which is partly why I asked.
Bivouac Bows, Jim Belcher and crew are very good to deal with. I have a Backland with recurve limbs. That short riser is perfect for LB limbs if that’s what you want.
Seems the LB limbs are ideal on the shorter risers. I think the backland was actually designed with LB limbs in mind, but I am not sure about that.

Tartan

WKR
I have a pair of dryad lbx on order. Planning on using the on a wf19 which is an ilf longbow friendly riser (not much deflex). It is taking a while with the sale of dryad to south at stalker stickbows. In the meantime i have a pair of das bamboo core longbow limbs from 3 rivers that should be here tomorrow.

looking forward to trying an ilf longbow out.

OP
Swayze

Swayze

FNG
I have a pair of dryad lbx on order. Planning on using the on a wf19 which is an ilf longbow friendly riser (not much deflex). It is taking a while with the sale of dryad to south at stalker stickbows. In the meantime i have a pair of das bamboo core longbow limbs from 3 rivers that should be here tomorrow.

looking forward to trying an ilf longbow out.
Nice. Should be an interesting comparison. Heard good things about both sets of limbs. If you remember it would be interesting to hear your thoughts after shooting both.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm thinking really hard about putting the deposit down on a backland, I actually emailed them yesterday.

OP
Swayze

Swayze

FNG
I'm thinking really hard about putting the deposit down on a backland, I actually emailed them yesterday.
I was thinking the same thing but I was able to grab a used DX5 which is apparently the same design riser. Going to give it a try to see if I like it and then talk to Bivouac.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was thinking the same thing but I was able to grab a used DX5 which is apparently the same design riser. Going to give it a try to see if I like it and then talk to Bivouac.

I ordered the bivouac just now. Lol, this is getting stupid. I’ve also got a black widow and a toelke on order. When I saw the bivouacs are just a few weeks out I had to order it.

OP
Swayze

Swayze

FNG
I ordered the bivouac just now. Lol, this is getting stupid. I’ve also got a black widow and a toelke on order. When I saw the bivouacs are just a few weeks out I had to order it.
!!! It’s going to be a Merry Christmas for you.

Tartan

WKR
7C28D815-F68A-4D77-8BE1-5C558BC08B01.jpeg

just got them set up and put a couple arrows through them. Still needs a full tune, but they feel great. I was a little worried about it feeling stacky, but they more or less feel like any standard recurve limb. Went down to 7” brace and no issues with the limbs noodling.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't currently, had Dryad ilf LB for a while, it was a shooter, I seen this one on archery talk, if I was wanting to try one, this is a smoking deal in my opinion. Guy has a ton of history on archery talk looking at his post count, that generally means he's probably not a scammer, but I don't know him or anything.

I have a set of Dryad LB limbs on a Blacks Creek wooden riser. Its alright. Recurve limbs just feel better to me- even cheapies. My recurves are noticeably faster.

Nothing wrong with the ILF/LB limbs...but it's a bit incongruous.

Personally, If I was going to shoot a longbow....I wouldn't go ILF.....I would just get a R/D longbow. In fact I'm looking for a LH 2 pc 66" Toelke whip....
You know you want that bow... you really want it... drooling even.

Zbow

FNG
I have a couple, seems getting the right riser limb combo is key. Two that seem to work are OMP riser with trad tech limbs. Exe scream riser and das limbs. I'm thinking about getting another set of das limbs, the ones I have are 45#, might try #50.
Here is a pic of the omp/tad tech

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_141500.jpg
    IMG_20210123_141500.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 19
I had a 13” Morrison riser and a set of the DAS bamboo longbow limbs. Was a great shooting set up and regret getting rid of it

GLB

WKR
Well I have been having fun experimenting with my Bivouac ILF bow from recurve limbs shooting off the shelf, elevated rest and now with longbow limbs.

Yesterday I put the DAS bamboo LB limbs on and got it tuned to the same arrows I used with the recurve limbs and I got to tell you that I really like how it shoots. I have always preferred that linear draw a LB has. I had a hard time putting it down yesterday as I was stacking arrows right in there.

However I have to admit that it is the ugliest setup I have. I had to sneak it past my D shape LBs to go shoot it. 😁

Attachments

• AE1F9BFE-3720-4C36-A347-2E3F0E52899C.jpeg
    AE1F9BFE-3720-4C36-A347-2E3F0E52899C.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 38

Btaylor

WKR
Well I have been having fun experimenting with my Bivouac ILF bow from recurve limbs shooting off the shelf, elevated rest and now with longbow limbs.

Yesterday I put the DAS bamboo LB limbs on and got it tuned to the same arrows I used with the recurve limbs and I got to tell you that I really like how it shoots. I have always preferred that linear draw a LB has. I had a hard time putting it down yesterday as I was stacking arrows right in there.

However I have to admit that it is the ugliest setup I have. I had to sneak it past my D shape LBs to go shoot it. 😁
Fine looking rig to me.

Reactions: GLB