Anyone shooting very high FOC?

I think I have had decent results around 18%? In my compound with one setup I tried, other than I hated how slow it was.

I think a few of my trad bows are right around 20%.

I'd need to check my notes, but I think those numbers are correct.

ozyclint

WKR
Could it be that pushing the balance point too far forward [very high FOC] destabilizes the arrow? Yes, no doubt.
______

???. the further apart the center of mass and center of pressure the more stable it will be.

All of the folks pushing this very high FOC talk always about an arrow in flight, which is only 1/2 of the equation- never about wind and never the destabilizing effect all that tip weight has on the launch. The launch is where our accuracy originates. Plus; Its a physical law; Equal and opposite reaction...any advantage tip weight has on the back end is counteracted at launch. Reasonable FOC gives us this balance we need.

yeah and we counteract that by using stiffer shafts. that's why high FOC arrows require stiffer shafts. the arrow is either tuned or it's not.

ozyclint

WKR
Out of all that, 3 guys actually shooting FOC of 30% including Clint above. All were very heavy arrows.

________

that's because it's extremely difficult to achieve 30% with shafts and components that are available while not being too heavy, especially for bow draw weights most commonly used. when someone makes a shaft that is high spine but weighs nothing it will be alot easier.

it's far more difficult for someone shooting a 50# bow to achieve 30% while having an acceptable arrow mass for that bow than someone shooting a 70# bow.

looking at axis shafts, a 400 spine is 9.0GPI which is 270gr for a 30" shaft. a 300 spine is 10.7GPI which is 321gr for a 30" shaft. that's only 51gr difference between a shaft that might work for a 50# bow and a shaft that might work for an 80# bow. the 50# bow shooter starts out heavily handicapped in terms of trying to achieve 30% while still ending up with an arrow that is not too heavy for that bow.

Zac

WKR
Yes but if that lower poundage shooter has a very short draw length it will be much easier to achieve high FOC. Really 30 percent is most achievable with a short draw high poundage shooter.

ozyclint

WKR
^ especially since the short draw archer won't require such a stiff shaft meaning they can use a lighter spine/GPI shafts which makes it easier to achieve high FOC.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, maybe if you can shoot a short arrow 24-26"....but for the rest of us.... its an effort that makes zero sense. Much todo about nothing.

In reality if you are shooting a heavy arrow and have perfect arrow flight....you are going to blow through everything.

>>>>