Anyone shot/owned CVA Cascade?

So Ive been looking for a new rifle. Had decided on the Tikka T3x since it is beloved here. However, I came across the CVA Cascade which has a lot of the same features as the T3x (good trigger, good stock, relatively smooth action (though not as smooth as Tikka), good barrel (Bergara), cerakote, and threaded barrel) for basically half the price.

For instance, the top model T3x with fluted barrel and bolt, cerakote, camo stock and threaded muzzle costs $1450. The CVA Cascade has all of that excepted fluted barrel and bolt for $700. I know the Tikka is probably the better gun. But is it worth the difference in cost? I could get the base model T3x but I really want a threaded barrel and cerakote, so adding those costs in drives even the cheap T3x up to close to $1K once I leave the gunsmith.

Links for reference:

Tikka T3x Lite
CVA Cascade

Any opinions on accuracy, handling, durability of the CVA? Really having a hard time justifying spending another $700 for the Tikka. I do like the action of the Tikka better and that its lighter, but just looking for other opinions.

I’ve got both. Have a 6.5 creed in the cascade. It shoots pretty well, ten shot groups with hand loads are right at 1.5”. The grippy stock is alright, but I had a Bergara with the same thing and it began to peel the 2nd season I used it. If you keep an eye out, I snagged mine at Walmart for like 590.

That being said, I love my tikkas, and 9/10 times the Cva stays in the safe when it’s time to go hunt.

ndsportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a CVA Cascade last year in 6.5 PRC, haven't had it long enough to give an actual review, that being said, I really like the rifle, groups around 1" with factory Hornady ammo, feels well built, stock is solid, nice trigger, feeds really nice, no complaints thus far. Plan to work up a load for it eventually. Currently in the waiting process for a suppressor for it, plan to have the barrel cut to 20".

OP
The_Dinkmaster
I’ve got both. Have a 6.5 creed in the cascade. It shoots pretty well, ten shot groups with hand loads are right at 1.5”. The grippy stock is alright, but I had a Bergara with the same thing and it began to peel the 2nd season I used it. If you keep an eye out, I snagged mine at Walmart for like 590.

That being said, I love my tikkas, and 9/10 times the Cva stays in the safe when it’s time to go hunt.

Thanks for the response. I think your last line was essentially what I was wondering. I have the dough to buy the Tikka and guess I should ultimately go that route. Like the say, "Buy once; Cry once"

Thanks for the response. I think your last line was essentially what I was wondering. I have the dough to buy the Tikka and guess I should ultimately go that route. Like the say, "Buy once; Cry once"
I think when you’re in the boat of having the money to buy either, you typically aren’t left wondering “what if” when you get the nicer one first.
Certainly not saying the Cva is a turd, just my 2 cents having both.

OP
The_Dinkmaster
I think when you’re in the boat of having the money to buy either, you typically aren’t left wondering “what if” when you get the nicer one first.
Certainly not saying the Cva is a turd, just my 2 cents having both.
Makes sense. Guess Im just a little gun shy (pun intended) with the financial situation our country is in (But thats another story)....Im not exactly sure if I want to pay twice as much for a rifle thats 1/3 better like I would have been in the past, if that makes sense

OP
The_Dinkmaster
With the aftermarket support it’s really hard to say CVA over Tikka.
I will add that Im not likely going to add any aftermarket products. In my personal situation I do not think the cost/benefit would warrant that as I dont really do major long range shooting

Reactions: BCD
I get that but I have an a bolt right now that I can’t find even basic parts for. I don’t have anything “long range” but sometimes you need parts.

bnsafe

WKR
I had a bergara and bought a tikka. totally depends on what your gonna do with it. if your going to be backpacking in and weight is a issue tikka with new stock. if your gonna shoot it twice a year at a back 40 whitetail im sure the cva would be just fine. that and one of the trijicon hurons on europtic. my bergara was super smooth bolt and trigger broke like glass. shot really well and I loved the tacky feeling of the stock. It was a nice gun. but, it weighed a ton and I hated loading it (for whatever reason I had issues with it loading) It shot plenty well for anything I done and killed several deer. No real issues with it other than weight and loading. now, I bought a ss tikka cause I wanted the mag, put a carbon fiber stock on it, and it feels like a dream. I would not go back.
as far as the threaded part, are you gonna go suppressed. if so you will prob wanna chop the barrel of either so doesnt really make a difference. If your not why pay for threads

OP
The_Dinkmaster
I had a bergara and bought a tikka. totally depends on what your gonna do with it. if your going to be backpacking in and weight is a issue tikka with new stock. if your gonna shoot it twice a year at a back 40 whitetail im sure the cva would be just fine. that and one of the trijicon hurons on europtic. my bergara was super smooth bolt and trigger broke like glass. shot really well and I loved the tacky feeling of the stock. It was a nice gun. but, it weighed a ton and I hated loading it (for whatever reason I had issues with it loading) It shot plenty well for anything I done and killed several deer. No real issues with it other than weight and loading. now, I bought a ss tikka cause I wanted the mag, put a carbon fiber stock on it, and it feels like a dream. I would not go back.
as far as the threaded part, are you gonna go suppressed. if so you will prob wanna chop the barrel of either so doesnt really make a difference. If your not why pay for threads
Plan on using a muzzle brake but I get your point. If you like the Tikka that much more then that puts another notch in the Tikka column. I haven’t held the CVA yet but it says to weigh 6.9 pounds.

nobody

WKR
I sold a ton of both when I worked at Sportsman’s Warehouse. The CVA feels like the cheaper rifle to me from the mechanical standpoint. There was a guy who worked with us who bought one in 300 win mag and put an aftermarket 30 cal side port brake on it. Shot number 2 and the brake went flying, it reamed the threads off the outside of the barrel in the process. So that wasn’t impressive.

I also wouldn’t put too much value in the “bergara” barrel. Do yourself a favor and google “bergara barrel issues” or “bergarbage” and read away. Bergara’s barrels are known to be hit or miss.

As @camelcluch mentioned above, it’s not always about needing “hot rod” aftermarket parts, oftentimes it’s about getting replacement/repair parts when needed. Lots of stuff out there for tikka, nothing (relative to tikka) available for CVA.

The CVA is definitely in a tier below the Tikkas, that’s why it’s so much less. You’re not getting a “better deal” on the CVA, you’re getting exactly what you’re paying for, which is a low end entry level rifle.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch the CVA. And that’s coming from an admitted CVA muzzleloader fanboy. If the muzzle threading is critical, just buy the base model stainless lite or super lite and pay a gunsmith $100 to thread it and fit a brake. If you shop sales and price match you’ll come out to about the same price as the CVA out the door and end up with a grossly superior lifelong tool.

Lemhi

FNG
Went through this last summer with my son and youth rifles. We bought a CVA cascade SB for him and while it would shoot some nice groups with him behind the trigger it had feeding issues and ended up not being reliable enough for hunting. I sold that rifle at a loss and ordered him a tikka compact which had produced slightly better groups but more importantly the feeding and function has been 100%.

Long story short I should have ordered the tikka to begin with as I had intended initially but the LGS had a cascade on the shelf and while it was cheaper it ended up costing more money long term.

Grab a tikka and live happily ever after. If I’m not shooting a full blown custom now days I’m shooting a tikka.

SloppyJ

WKR
Man most are trying to steer you in the right direction for long term success. If you really want the CVA then snatch it up. You don't need internet approval!

OP
The_Dinkmaster
Man most are trying to steer you in the right direction for long term success. If you really want the CVA then snatch it up. You don't need internet approval!
Lol I appreciate their input. They’ve brought in some good perspective and thoughts that I haven’t contemplated really. But it makes a lot of sense. I was going for the Tikka Veil model but after doing more reading I think getting a superlite is the better choice.