Anyone Snowshoe or Cross Country/Touring Ski in Off Season? Getting Started Tips?

Hi All,

Watching myself get more and more out of shape after hunting season is driving me to find some winter consistent exercise, preferably in the backcountry.

For those with experience, any main reasons to choose snowshoe v cross country v touring?

Any tips on getting started with the basic gear?

Terrain is mountains preferred over groomed trails. I used to be a total ski bum in college, but that was 30 years ago and have only been once since.

Thanks,

s

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do both. Some terrain and snow lends itself better to cross country skiing and vice versa. There have been some multi-day trips I've done that I've brought both- skis for more favorable terrain, snowshoes for steeper/dicier terrain

If you have the opportunity, rent before you buy- either cross country or snowshoe.

You can get into snowshoeing cheaper and it's easier to become proficient, but both are fun :)

ODB

WKR
I love snowshoeing. Just point yourself in a direction and go. I really like getting off track in deep snow - you can find some real peace and quiet deep in a snow-filled wood. You will be surprised the stuff you can tackle (carefully) on shoes.

Basic gear:

Snowshoes - I have always used Atlas - mine are 1035s
trekking poles with the large diameter snow basket
Gaiters - nothing fancy needed.

For boots I have used both my hunting boots and lighter hiking boots.

Most new people I have taken struggle with two things: stepping on their shoes and flipping snow up their back. My wife is still a snow flipper after many years. Just pay attention to your stride and the angle of your foot as you lift it - you'll figure it out quickly.

Dress lighter (I generate a lot of heat and typically have all the vents open in about 1/4 mile) fill a daypack with a small stove and some food - a nice warm drink or cup-of-soup is awesome during a break.

HAve fun.

FNG
All are great. Snowshoeing is certainly cheaper and safer. Perhaps a good place to start. Back country skiing is crazy fun. Lots of great terrain in my neck of the woods and hard to beat the feeling of skiing off the top of a volcano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just doing the same starting up of winter activities. 100% agree snow shoe is the cheapest. Just insulated boots, gaiters & go. Cross country setup so far has been OK on forest roads but if it gets snow mobile traffic gets a little choppy and I hate downhill in cross country skis when you get into hills. Too little control. Downhill with good backcountry bindings & skins is the most expensive, miserable on trails, great for going up thick powder. I am probably going to stick to snow shoes for a lot of my winter exercise.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
AT setup and touring gets my vote. Being able to kick and glide flat sections, climb and get some speed downhill keeps me fit when I can’t pedal
in the winter. We’ve been on the fence for years in regards to Nordic skiing but always come to the decision that we don’t need one more hobby. Getting started is expensive, don’t skimp on the essential three safety pieces of gear and know how to use them. I’m a fan of dynafit as they’ve been at it forever and every other mfrs design is essentially trickle down from them. Depending on where you live there may be localized avy info and community.

Maverick1

WKR
Got some snowshoes for Christmas a couple of years ago. They are a great workout and fun! Inexpensive set from Costco, work well enough to get me outside for some snow time fun. Do it!

slatty

WKR
I love cross-country skiing and do it a lot, but it's ONLY FOR GROOMED SKI TRACKS. I see people using them off trails, and they're a terrible tool for that.

Agree that snowshoes are the best tool for what you describe, and just getting out on the snow.

A really fun way to get around once you're comfortable on snowshoes, are "ski shoes", or short skis with built in skins. I have both the "Altai" brand and "OAC" brand. Both are excellent. They take a bit of getting used to but are a great way to get around, and a little more efficient than snowshoes. When skiing downhill I highly recommend the technique using a single stout wooden pole that you lean on as a rudder.

BBob

WKR
are "ski shoes", or short skis with built in skins.
Another similar version of those are Drift Boards from here in the US. Developed by snowboarders to get into the backcountry.
A small more packable snowshoe that lots of snowboarders also use are Verts. I use them a bunch while powsurfing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Altai skis provide a pretty good compromise between ski and snowshoe- get you into a lot more places than Nordic skis, but not as much as snowshoes. On gentler ground they outpace snowshoes by quite a bit.

They turn better than Nordic skis, but not nearly as well as downhill/AT skis. I agree with above poster, the pole (Tiak) is better than trekking poles for turning (and slowing)

You can use your regular boots with them as well (with their universal bindings).

https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/hok-skis-with-universal-pivot-bindings-copy/

I’ll contribute differently to the thread.

I got caught in an avalanche by myself in the spring of 2016 while photographing mtn goats and my desire to go do some snowshoeing and touring has diminished ever since then. That was the most miserable 24 hours of my life and I still suffer from the frostbite that I got after digging myself out. And hiking 3 miles back to the truck after broken skis prevented me from skiing out. I was buried waist deep and was wedged against hemlock and subalpine fir. I had some basic education in AVY awareness and now I consider myself somewhat educated and dig pits whenever I go in any sort of avy prone terrain.

Take classes and read up on what to do in that situation.

Snowshoeing is the most basic way to get back into the swing of things and definitely don’t have a mindset of going out and doing 10-15 miles your first day out. Take legs and endurance to do so. I enjoy snowshoeing when it comes to checking my game cameras and trap line these days. Tend to stick to cross country and touring on snowmobile trails and forest roads. I love going the morning after the groomer went through and having some great cruising miles.

I love cross-country skiing and do it a lot, but it's ONLY FOR GROOMED SKI TRACKS. I see people using them off trails, and they're a terrible tool for that.

Agree that snowshoes are the best tool for what you describe, and just getting out on the snow.

A really fun way to get around once you're comfortable on snowshoes, are "ski shoes", or short skis with built in skins. I have both the "Altai" brand and "OAC" brand. Both are excellent. They take a bit of getting used to but are a great way to get around, and a little more efficient than snowshoes. When skiing downhill I highly recommend the technique using a single stout wooden pole that you lean on as a rudder.
The skinny ones for groomed trails are useless. .

But there are ones made for breaking trail and getting into the Backcountry. You can do 3-5x the distance on these vs snowshoes.

These come in multiple widths depending on your conditions and terrain

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I also recommend Avy gear, some practice and, at a minimum, reading the book “how to stay alive in avalanche terrain” 30+ times.

Avy courses for snowshoers are likley hard to find, but SSers can and do die in avys every year. Also, people have died in avalanches in every single month of the year in CO. Avy conditions can change very quickly and very dramatically.

I also recommend Avy gear, some practice and, at a minimum, reading the book “how to stay alive in avalanche terrain” 30+ times.

Avy courses for snowshoers are likley hard to find, but SSers can and do die in avys every year. Also, people have died in avalanches in every single month of the year in CO. Avy conditions can change very quickly and very dramatically.
I agree too. However, after I took one of the courses, it pretty much solidified in my mind to never go near avy terrain. You'll learn what terrain is avy prone, which is somewhat intuitive. If you are just trying to get some exercise, stay the hell away from that stuff!

I agree too. However, after I took one of the courses, it pretty much solidified in my mind to never go near avy terrain. You'll learn what terrain is avy prone, which is somewhat intuitive. If you are just trying to get some exercise, stay the hell away from that stuff!
I’d agree that terrain recognition is the most important tool for avalanche avoidance. Also learn what alpha angles are and how to determine them. Snowshoers frequently get taken out from above while they are down in the flats.