Anyone Snowshoe or Cross Country/Touring Ski in Off Season? Getting Started Tips?

Whisky

WKR
My wife has been loving her birthday present

These are great skis, exactly what I was looking for!! For her I mean.
70637cc1594e71e69ea0d02bcc9f7604.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I love cross-country skiing and do it a lot, but it's ONLY FOR GROOMED SKI TRACKS. I see people using them off trails, and they're a terrible tool for that.

Agree that snowshoes are the best tool for what you describe, and just getting out on the snow.

A really fun way to get around once you're comfortable on snowshoes, are "ski shoes", or short skis with built in skins. I have both the "Altai" brand and "OAC" brand. Both are excellent. They take a bit of getting used to but are a great way to get around, and a little more efficient than snowshoes. When skiing downhill I highly recommend the technique using a single stout wooden pole that you lean on as a rudder.
Depends on the ski set up. Full metal edge skis with a tech binding toe and heal pad are significantly better for breaking trail than snow shoes. The set up is also expensive though due to the cost of BC touring boots.

I agree that a skinny ski with no metal edges and NNN bindings is best on groomers.

BC touring skis with skins, while not as efficient as a cross country ski on flats, are pretty good to. For me, I enjoy exploring on skis, breaking trail in snowshoes is not something I enjoy though.

20230102_124049.jpg20230102_124046.jpg