Anyone solo backpack hunting 3rd/4th rifle CO

Vandy321

WKR
Fellas, recently moved to CO. In the COS area, have already began hiking/scouting and scouring Google earth for areas I'd like to check out.

As of now, I plan to backpack hunt the 3rd or 4th season OTC (have ZERO CO pref points), I have 2 weeks off in Nov. Planning to camp 3-5 miles of trail to avoid the crowds were possible.

Looking to maybe pair up with another hunter, more for the safety factor than anything else, but an extra guy on the spotter never hurts. Shoot me a PM if that fits the bill for anyone and your like to get out on a few scouts.

I grew up backpack hunting deer/elk in WA, have been out of the hike in hunt game while living in the southeast the past few years, but am ready to get back to it. I'm in my mid 30s, fit, have my own gear, etc.

Cheers

The year I moved to CO I had the same exact plan. I did a bunch of scouting and found some elky areas and then come second rifle, there was a foot of snow on the ground and I couldn't even get to the trailhead. Ended up going to a different area and camping in deep snow for a couple days. Didn't see any animals and had a hell of a time trying to find water that wasn't frozen.

During 3rd and 4th season temps are going to be real low and unless there is a freakish warm/dry winter like 2017, I would rule out backpacking in a few miles. Also, everything on Google Earth is going to look vastly different in person at the end of November. If you do decide to pack in, pack accordingly and be prepared for some long, cold nights.

WTFJohn

WKR
I have hunted 3rd Rifle the last three years, 2017 and 2018 were both solo backpack hunts. Tagged a cow in '17 2.5 miles in and a nice 5x5 in '18 1.5 miles (&1500 vert ft) in. The cow was in the second area I hunted, the bull in the 4th or 5th area (over 4 units, mix of state, BLM, and USFS/Wilderness). Be ready to change your plans completely based on weather. Have tire chains and know how to use them.

3-5 miles back in 3rd rifle is a lot more work than you think during that time of year, you're going to be carrying a lot of weight in camp/food/clothes through shin-deep (or deeper) snow. Let your eyes do the walking, hopefully there will be fresh snow on the ground which will make tracking easier. The leaves will be out of the aspens as well, opening up a lot of terrain to glassing. Get a Garmin Inreach or Inreach Mini, it makes solo trips a lot easier on the folks you leave in town.

jolemons

WKR
Be prepared for cold, deep snow and impassable roads to get to trailhead.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I did 7 miles last weekend in the snow, i try to do at least 5 miles every few weeks, with my pack to stay in shape and just enjoy the weather, even the cold. I dont mind the snow, as long as the animals are still around. Impassable roads make for an easy hike for those willing to put in the work. I was looking at in-reach for the wife's peace of mind. I also have a PLB should I ever need it.

Reason I started this post is that I do not intent to pack in that far that late in the season in bad weather, alone, I agree that isnt smart. But as far as cold wx and long, snowy hikes, it's to be expected.

Last edited:

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds fun! Be ready for some cold, windy, snowy weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Good luck!

In most areas, and that time of year, you will want to be where the elk are going 'TO', not where they 'WERE'