Anyone still liking their Mystery Ranch Metcalf?

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't seen much mentioned about the Metcalf in a couple years, and was wondering if anyone still uses and would recommend this pack? Found it for a very reasonable price (close to half of what a Kifaru would cost all kitted out), and considering taking a chance on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf.

Now, I am in now way saying this is as good of a pack as the Kifaru or other high-end, made in USA packs, but the Metcalf has caught my attention. I'm new to hunting (rifle) and will most likely be day trips hunting deer in Northern CA, and the occasional overnight/multi-day trip, sometimes even just backpacking and scouting. As a new hunter I'll probably be coming back empty-handed most of the time and probably won't be hiking in that far from the car, and no plans anytime soon on going after anything huge like elk, etc., and because I have quite a bit of other gear to purchase I'm trying to be a bit cost-conscious.

I'm 6'2, 195lbs. with a 32.5" waist and looks like I'd be a medium based on my torso measurement (19.5). I've always been a large in every other pack I've owned (backpacking, climbing packs) but confirmed with their customer service folks that the medium is the size I need.

Any thoughts from those who have used or are using this pack is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

2InadOzm.jpg

RSU4Kzpm.jpg

BhpyXpOm.jpg

pjyBkifm.jpg

Rv6FdiHm.jpg

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
Great pack, but still heavy for what it is. I had a couple “pre guide light” Metcalf’s and as much as I liked tgem, they were just too heavy. Guide Light frame helps but still heavy for its capacity. Excellent, bomb proof pack otherwise.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Great pack, but still heavy for what it is. I had a couple “pre guide light” Metcalf’s and as much as I liked tgem, they were just too heavy. Guide Light frame helps but still heavy for its capacity. Excellent, bomb proof pack otherwise.

That is one thing I've read about the Metcalf, but it's lighter than the Kifaru combo I was also looking at. The 44Mag and frame weighs 6.5lbs, while the Mystery Ranch Metcalf is 5.7lbs.

My wife has one and she doesn’t like that it doesn’t have a full length zipper, which makes it hard to access stuff in the bottom of the pack

I have had mine for several years and love it. A bit over kill as a day pack but checks all the boxes for me. I have used it as a multi day pack for a interior Alaska Bear hunt and no complaints. With that said, I will say that I have a dall sheep hunt planned for this summer and I bought a MR Marshall for it. Only reason for this is that the trip is going to be much longer so the added capacity will be nice.
For what you describe, the pack should be good and work well. I do hear a hint of hesitation, in that it sounds like you like other brands better. If that is the case buy what you want even if it means budget cuts elsewhere or you wait. Backpacks are like women and guns, you had better not settle or you will be unhappy no matter what happens.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I have had mine for several years and love it. A bit over kill as a day pack but checks all the boxes for me. I have used it as a multi day pack for a interior Alaska Bear hunt and no complaints. With that said, I will say that I have a dall sheep hunt planned for this summer and I bought a MR Marshall for it. Only reason for this is that the trip is going to be much longer so the added capacity will be nice.
For what you describe, the pack should be good and work well. I do hear a hint of hesitation, in that it sounds like you like other brands better. If that is the case buy what you want even if it means budget cuts elsewhere or you wait. Backpacks are like women and guns, you had better not settle or you will be unhappy no matter what happens.

My only hesitation is that I can't try any of these packs on and it's a big chunk of change to shell out. There aren't any retailers near me that stock them (and even if there were they're all closed right now because of the virus). I also can get the Sawtooth 45 for a good price. Interesting thing is the description of the Metcalf on the Optics Planet website says the Metcalf is on the Guide Light frame, while the sawtooth is on the GuideLight MT frame. Wondering if it's just a typo and/or Optics Planet didn't update the pack description.

I think if you are doing anything short of 2-3 day backpack hunts it will be more than you need. That being said, if I found it at the right price, I would buy one anyway and use it however. If on a budget though, make sure your not biting off too much pack.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I think if you are doing anything short of 2-3 day backpack hunts it will be more than you need. That being said, if I found it at the right price, I would buy one anyway and use it however. If on a budget though, make sure your not biting off too much pack.

This was definitely a consideration. Optics Planet has the Metcalf for $374.25, which seems like a good deal. Later on I could pick up a Pintler (bag only) and use the frame that came with the Metcalf and have a pretty versatile system.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a MR Beartooth and it sounds like, for what you want to do, the Metcalf will be great. When the packs go on sale for 25% off I think they represent a great value. I would save the money.

Ram94

WKR
Now, I am in now way saying this is as good of a pack as the Kifaru or other high-end, made in USA packs [/QUOTE]

Lol it’s probably one of the best of all the high end packs made in the US of A. You wouldn’t be taking a risk buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was definitely a consideration. Optics Planet has the Metcalf for $374.25, which seems like a good deal. Later on I could pick up a Pintler (bag only) and use the frame that came with the Metcalf and have a pretty versatile system.

For a brand new metcalf that sounds like a pretty good deal. I used to have the smaller selway 60 and it was too big for what I usually do although I liked everything else about it. Now I have a pop up 28 on the way.

fatlander

WKR
One of my buddies just got a Marshall on the guide light mt frame. It’s a super nice frame from the first. For what you’re describing I say the metcalf will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoHntr

WKR
Interesting thing is the description of the Metcalf on the Optics Planet website says the Metcalf is on the Guide Light frame, while the sawtooth is on the GuideLight MT frame. Wondering if it's just a typo and/or Optics Planet didn't update the pack description.

A lot of retailers still have Mystery Ranch packs with the Guide Light frame and are trying to get rid of them, so I wouldn't count on it being a typo. There isn't a ton of difference between the frames, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but something to keep in mind.

The sawtooth is cheaper, has the new frame, and would be the perfect size for the hunts you are describing. I would go that route personally over the metcalf. Both are great packs though.

UtahJimmy

WKR
My only hesitation is that I can't try any of these packs on and it's a big chunk of change to shell out. There aren't any retailers near me that stock them (and even if there were they're all closed right now because of the virus). I also can get the Sawtooth 45 for a good price. Interesting thing is the description of the Metcalf on the Optics Planet website says the Metcalf is on the Guide Light frame, while the sawtooth is on the GuideLight MT frame. Wondering if it's just a typo and/or Optics Planet didn't update the pack description.
The MT is their improved version from last year. It's got a nicer belt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
For a brand new metcalf that sounds like a pretty good deal. I used to have the smaller selway 60 and it was too big for what I usually do although I liked everything else about it. Now I have a pop up 28 on the way.

The Pop Up 38 seems like a nice compromise for what I'm going to be doing.

I’m sure you could be satisfied with that pack for a long time. I don’t have direct experience with that model so can’t be much help there.

But I will caution you to look around and see if you can find that pack at a comparable price elsewhere if that is the one you want. Last time I tried buying from Optics Planet I was lured in by availability of product and the price. I called them to place the order and was reassured they had product in stock. I placed the order and they charged my card, then they sent an email 5 minutes later saying the product was on back order for unknown time frame. I got the run-around from customer service for a while and finally took delivery almost 8 weeks later. There was a thread here a few months ago with several similar stories.

Best of luck with your new pack and planned adventures!

Bighorner

WKR
I really like mine. It has carried a pretty decent number of animals over the past 3 years. I dont think it is heavey for what it can do. Like others said it seems lighter than a kifaru set up. I recently picked up a used kifaru pack to try out. At the risk of being strung up around here, my initial impression was that I liked the fit of the MR better. We'll see if that changes with a really heavy load. I'm 6' 165# with a 33" waist.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I really like mine. It has carried a pretty decent number of animals over the past 3 years. I dont think it is heavey for what it can do. Like others said it seems lighter than a kifaru set up. I recently picked up a used kifaru pack to try out. At the risk of being strung up around here, my initial impression was that I liked the fit of the MR better. We'll see if that changes with a really heavy load. I'm 6' 165# with a 33" waist.

Which size do you wear in the Mystery Ranch packs?

A lot of retailers still have Mystery Ranch packs with the Guide Light frame and are trying to get rid of them, so I wouldn't count on it being a typo. There isn't a ton of difference between the frames, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but something to keep in mind.

The sawtooth is cheaper, has the new frame, and would be the perfect size for the hunts you are describing. I would go that route personally over the metcalf. Both are great packs though.

This^, likely closeout on the non-MT frame. Not a big deal if you're saving $, I think they just improved the belt.
Also, the MT and non-MT use different buckles so important to know if you're trying to get different bags for that frame. MR sells a conversion kit called the Time Machine that will solve this but easier just to get the appropriate bag to start.