Anyone still liking their Mystery Ranch Metcalf?

Bighorner

WKR
I went straight off of the sizing on there web sight. I can not find any tags on the belt as to the size. If anyone knows were the tag is I will look again and get back to you.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
This^, likely closeout on the non-MT frame. Not a big deal if you're saving $, I think they just improved the belt.
Also, the MT and non-MT use different buckles so important to know if you're trying to get different bags for that frame. MR sells a conversion kit called the Time Machine that will solve this but easier just to get the appropriate bag to start.

Not necessarily. The picture on the site is the same picture that Mystery Ranch has on their site for the version with the MT frame. And the Sawtooth is also on sale and has the MT frame.

Either way, most of them are not in-stock and says will ship in 4-5 weeks. Probably best to just be patient and see how things unfold during the next few weeks/months as there will most likely be other sales and promotions from other retailers.

I ran a metcalf and pintler combo for a while. It is great. I upgraded to a bear tooth and sawtooth to get the new frame. I like the new frame better but it isn't a major improvement. just a better belt and a few other tweaks. The bags have more organization (pockets) than the metcalf but they aren't a major upgrade either. I would say look at the terra plane 80 which is their trekking line pack on a guide light MT frame. I think they can be had for around $300. If not, that is a pretty good price on a metcalf on the new MT frame. On the older guide light frame you might be able to do better.

WKR

WKR
My only hesitation is that I can't try any of these packs on and it's a big chunk of change to shell out. There aren't any retailers near me that stock them (and even if there were they're all closed right now because of the virus). I also can get the Sawtooth 45 for a good price. Interesting thing is the description of the Metcalf on the Optics Planet website says the Metcalf is on the Guide Light frame, while the sawtooth is on the GuideLight MT frame. Wondering if it's just a typo and/or Optics Planet didn't update the pack description.
Don't buy anything from optics planet right now. It will take weeks to ship and they have no customer service right now due to covid.
Also those Metcalfs are most likely the 2019 models not the new 2020 model with guide light Mt frame. That's why they are $100 less than everyone else.

JohnnyB

WKR
Metcalf is a great bag. If you are only going to have a single bag, Metcalf will cover you for 1-7 days. I also have a Pinter bag and switch out depending on what I am doing but if I had to stick with one bag it would have to be the Metcalf.

Snagged one this past year that was on sale on gohunt, and I don't have a shed of buyer's remorse. Very versatile pack. I wish the shoulder straps were a hair wider, but that is my only complaint.

My wife has one and she doesn’t like that it doesn’t have a full length zipper, which makes it hard to access stuff in the bottom of the pack

I remember in this years release they mentioned the zipper to be longer than in the last and they moved it slightly to have more convenient access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I remember in this years release they mentioned the zipper to be longer than in the last and they moved it slightly to have more convenient access.

Yes, in the picture on their site it links like a pretty large zipper for side access.

My only hesitation is that I can't try any of these packs on and it's a big chunk of change to shell out. There aren't any retailers near me that stock them (and even if there were they're all closed right now because of the virus). I also can get the Sawtooth 45 for a good price. Interesting thing is the description of the Metcalf on the Optics Planet website says the Metcalf is on the Guide Light frame, while the sawtooth is on the GuideLight MT frame. Wondering if it's just a typo and/or Optics Planet didn't update the pack description.

I would recommend you look at the MR Terraframe 80 at Sierra.com. It has the same frame as the Metcalf, is slightly larger with better organization and on sale for about $230. If you have a Sierra trading post near you and it turns out you don’t like it you can return. It to the store without paying for shipping. The same holds true for the MR Terraframe 50 at REI being like a larger MR Pinter for $200 on clearance.

Both will carry anything you can and both will fit your description of expected use. One being slightly larger and one slightly smaller than the Metcalf.

Good luck with what ever you do.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend you look at the MR Terraframe 80 at Sierra.com. It has the same frame as the Metcalf, is slightly larger with better organization and on sale for about $230. If you have a Sierra trading post near you and it turns out you don’t like it you can return. It to the store without paying for shipping. The same holds true for the MR Terraframe 50 at REI being like a larger MR Pinter for $200 on clearance.

Both will carry anything you can and both will fit your description of expected use. One being slightly larger and one slightly smaller than the Metcalf.

Good luck with what ever you do.

The Terraframe 50 looks like it would be exactly what I need. The way the zippers are configured aren't my favorite, but I can live with it.

I went with a 2019 Metcalf that i got on sale, too. It has a side zipper to get to the bottom of the pack. I will be using it out west elk hunting this fall and so far i enjoy it. Get some pull-outs for organization and boom.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up ordering a current-version Terraframe 50 from REI since they're having sale eight now with 20% off a full-priced item.

In all reality I probably won't even start hunting until next season ( own handguns and shotguns but new to rifles) and have a lot to learn and need to be comfortable and accurate with a rifle before I go out and try to shoot game animals) but still plan on going out scouting and doing some overnighters this summer, fall and winter. I'm hoping the Terraframe 50 is going to be a great all-arounder.

Great pack, but still heavy for what it is. I had a couple “pre guide light” Metcalf’s and as much as I liked tgem, they were just too heavy. Guide Light frame helps but still heavy for its capacity. Excellent, bomb proof pack otherwise.

It’s about the same as other packs in its category.

My wife has one and she doesn’t like that it doesn’t have a full length zipper, which makes it hard to access stuff in the bottom of the pack

This is the one thing I wish they would add to this pack. Don’t change anything else though. It would be a very hard to beat pack if they did. Imo

I would imagine that new belt is pretty dialed... at least that's what I'm trying to be optimistic about.

I ran a MR last hunting season and packed a few critters out. Without fail, though, my lower half would go numb starting right at my tailbone when I really was carrying more than like camp weight or more than like a front quarter of elk meat with that older belt.

Stoked you're getting into hunting @_Scooter_ ! That pack you got will probably rock to get ya going! Hit me a PM if there's ever anything I can do to help.