Anyone still liking their Mystery Ranch Metcalf?

I've got the Selway on the new MR frame - I must say I'm happy with the frame, comfortable and lighter than previous models. Selway is a Tri-zip 60L. Metcalf is nice too for top load.

boom

WKR
i love mine.

last season, i went hiking with my wife. we did a short trip. she got tired and i took her tiny pack and locked it into mine and carried her load. easy peasy.

its a good pack. i'm done chasing the perfect pack..i'll focus my energy in getting animals killed.

I had one for a while, unfortunately bought the wrong hipbelt size and screwed myself. If I were to do it again (and bought the right size) I would go with the marshall, personally.

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
My only hesitation is that I can't try any of these packs on and it's a big chunk of change to shell out. There aren't any retailers near me that stock them (and even if there were they're all closed right now because of the virus). I also can get the Sawtooth 45 for a good price. Interesting thing is the description of the Metcalf on the Optics Planet website says the Metcalf is on the Guide Light frame, while the sawtooth is on the GuideLight MT frame. Wondering if it's just a typo and/or Optics Planet didn't update the pack description.

Do not trust Optics Planet's descriptions, or even their in stock quantities. I know several people who've been shafted by OP. You can usually find good deals posted on OP, but they're spotty on actually delivering in a timely fashion -- caveat emptor.

I wish my Metcalf had a couple inside pockets. Other than that it a great pack. EXO, SG, and Kifaru are possibly better, but I have no reason to find out. I like the MR better than the kuiu

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Do not trust Optics Planet's descriptions, or even their in stock quantities. I know several people who've been shafted by OP. You can usually find good deals posted on OP, but they're spotty on actually delivering in a timely fashion -- caveat emptor.

Optic Planet I read sells under the name of Camp Saver also
I don't recommend of shady inventory.
Ordered in May and never received until Aug with my Pintler.

Highly recommend the GL MT 5-pc belt
If needed, get the OV Innovation MEAN PAD for extra comfort.

Have the 2017 Pintler on my 2018 GL MT Frame using Time Machine buckles
The Sawtooth 45's Duffel Zipper bothers me when coming at the corners. Pintler's Y-zippers seems better and simple.

Rolando

FNG
I just ordered a metcalf from elk101 for $375. I plan to use this on a 5-night elk hunt, and I figured a little smaller pack would make me be smarter about my gear choices. With a down bag, Nemo tensor pad, and Nemo hornet, hopefully I’ll have just enough room. Worst case, I can attach my tent below the pack or utilize the load shelf for other items. I was considering the Beartooth 80 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
Just recently hunted down an old school nice frame and metcalf. Forgot how cushy the nice frame was. Heavy, but rides like a caddy!

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
The Terraframe 50 was delivered today. I actually ordered a medium and a large. I'm 6'2, 190-195 lbs. Per MR's sizing chart I am on the upper end of a medium, and they said if you're between two sizes to size down. That didn't seem right so I ordered both sizes and would return the one that didn't fit.

Going to keep the large. The medium fits just sits on top of my shoulders, and can already tell with a loaded pack it's going to put a lot of pressure onto the tops of my shoulders. I like to try and carry a majority of the weight on my hips (like 70% of the weight) and have the rest on the front of both shoulders, leaving a little relief/gap on the top of my shoulders, otherwise heavy and even not so heavy packs can really fatigue you since more of the wight is being carried by the shoulders. Fitting the pack this way the large is close to perfect. Was worried the waist belt on the large would be too big but it's just fine. Will be sending back the medium on Tuesday.

Haven't loaded the back up with a lot of weight yet. Seems very well made. Many complain about the weight of the bag, but given the versatility of the bag and the amount of wright it can potentially carry and accommodate, I really think people just have unreasonable requirements and expectations from their gear. I dont necessarily think 5lbs is unreasonable for this pack.

Seems like this will be a very versatile pack. Isn't so big that it cant be used as a scouting or day trip pack, and shouldn't be a problem for anything from a quick overnighter to I'd say 3 nights, depending on the time of year and how much you pack. I could probably even get more days out of it if I wanted, others who bring a ton of stuff might want a larger pack. If you're going out on a long trip that's greater than 5 days you should definitely consider a bigger pack. I'd even say if you're going out for more than 3 days you may want bigger, but with that said this pack may be just fine since you have the Overload shelf.

Initial impressions are this is a great pack for someone who wants or can only afford one pack and wants to use it for hunting day trips, scouting, backpacking or multi-day hunting trips lasting from an overnight to a few days. You can stretch that if you pack light and/or utilize the overload feature.

Scooter, Good luck and enjoy your new pack!

Black Ovis is having a great sale right now. I've had a Pop Up 28 for two tears now and it's a very capable day pack. I've been wanting something with just a bit more capacity and settled on the Sawtooth, but have held off because it was a bit spendy. Ordered it this morning and saved $113. Plus a free pack cover worth $49.

Just a bit anxious though as to whether I can use it as my carry on in the overhead bins.

RLam

FNG
A great question and thanks everyone for your insight. I am seriously looking at the Metcalf as my only pack and by the sounds of it...i won't regret it.