anyone still use a beam scale?

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I use an RCBS 5-0-5 scale as well. Just sold my PACT digital scale/dispenser last week. Beam scale is reliable and easy. Might take slightly longer to use, but it's not bad and I don't load a lot of rounds per sitting.

Wrench

WKR
I can’t stand the slowness and inconsistency of a beam scale. I would stop reloading, if I had to go back to that. I’ll take my Chargemaster over a beam scale any day.
How is a beam inconsistent? It literally uses gravity to work. If it isn't tits.....the pivot is dirty or something is bent.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Yep. Bought a RCBS 5-0-5 when I started 35 years ago. Don’t see any reason to change. Might be slower, but I don’t get in a hurry reloading anyway.

N2TRKYS

WKR
How is a beam inconsistent? It literally uses gravity to work. If it isn't tits.....the pivot is dirty or something is bent.

Not dirty or bent. It won't zero out. Best move I ever made was to stop using those very slow, inconsistent things. Very glad I moved on to a better option.

Reactions: dla

Rob5589

WKR
I can’t stand the slowness and inconsistency of a beam scale. I would stop reloading, if I had to go back to that. I’ll take my Chargemaster over a beam scale any day.
When I was shooting high volume, my CM was a must have. Now that I don't shoot as much, I got rid of the CM and use the beam. Slow yes, inconsistent no.

wyosam

WKR
Not dirty or bent. It won't zero out. Best move I ever made was to stop using those very slow, inconsistent things. Very glad I moved on to a better option.

Something is wrong with it. Magnet maybe? Something loose or interfering with it? That one might be inconsistent, but that is not representative of the 505 in general. Also, if it is balancing slow, that increases my suspicion of a magnet problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Something is wrong with it. Magnet maybe? Something loose or interfering with it? That one might be inconsistent, but that is not representative of the 505 in general. Also, if it is balancing slow, that increases my suspicion of a magnet problem.

I don’t know what’s wrong with it. It’s never worked right.
Even if it was right everytime, I wouldn’t use it cause it’s incredibly too slow.

Wapiti1

WKR
Mine is a Herters from the early 60's. I inherited it from a great uncle along with 2 Pacific presses and a Lyman powder measure. All are still in use for various activities.

That old beam scale is my referee scale.

Jeremy

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I use an RCBS beam scale to check my electronic measure. During load development I check every charge and adjust with a trickler. When I’m producing a proven load I check every 10th charge or so.

COOPDUCK

FNG
I use a 40 year old US made Ohaus 505, it’s honestly kind of an enjoyable part of reloading to me. Plus it was the scale my grandfather used. I had it accurized and refurbed.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I still exclusively use my old AMT Autoscale(about 25 years old); best of both worlds. A beam scale with an auto powder measure/trickler. Have purchased and used digital scales but too much variation and uncertainty in them. I still have my original Redding beam scale from the early 70’s as well