Anyone swimming?

Just curious how many people have swimming in their workout rotation for cardio. Primarily thinking in preparation for elk or mule deer hunting.

I strength train part of the year, then switch to cardio/strength, then go to more hunt specific (step ups, weighted pack walk/hikes and some cardio).

My town did a fundraiser triathlon where you bike 112 miles, run 26.2, and swim 2.6 miles over 20 days. Not a huge feat but something to do. Wasn't worried about the biking or running as I know I can knock that out. Haven't been swimming in about 15 years, did laps today and knocked out .42 miles in a half hour. I was sucking wind and hurting! Just curious if anyone else is swimming as a part of their prep.

rclouse79

WKR
I did a couple summers ago when I was having back issues. In my opinion it would be a good thing to mix in. Definitely good cardio.

huntdoc

FNG
I have been using it to build cardio and reduce joint and back problems which has been an increasing problem. Love a good hard swim workout.

rob86jeep

WKR
I would say that swimming is probably the best aerobic exercise you can do that incorporates a lot of muscle building. When done correctly, it provides cardiovascular benefits and incorporates most major muscle groups at the same time with being extremely low impact. There's really no negative to swimming in my opinion.

Poser

WKR
It won’t hurt to swim as a way to help build your aerobic base, but, keep in mind that conditioning tends to be very sport specific beyond that: at some point, swimming mostly conditions you for swimming, running conditioning you for running etc.

The other thing is, and there seems to be a lot of confusion on this, the energy pathway for hiking under the weight of a heavy pack is actually muscular endurance. While you do need an aerobic base and sufficiently strong muscles in order to fully realize and develop your muscular endurance, “cardio” for the sake of “cardio” (something that makes you sweat) is not the same thing.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure years of swimming & surfing made it easier to breath above 5k since. Lung capacity & heart strength are keys. Years of working for a living made gyms needless. Bikes added to benefit.
I live at 7500 now and can go to 10k no problemo....usually.

I was planning to this year but my local pool didn’t accept new members due to limiting capacity for COVID.

Going to try and swim at the lake when I’m down for the weekends though.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
string&stick i think thats a decent time i was swimming 1 mile 4 days a week for a few months and i would complete it in around 50min and i was gassed after. definitely great cardio and your know beating up your joints

OP
S
string&stick i think thats a decent time i was swimming 1 mile 4 days a week for a few months and i would complete it in around 50min and i was gassed after. definitely great cardio and your know beating up your joints

Yea I was fairly happy with what I accomplished in the time period, I just remember effortlessly swimming for half a day, even in high school. I think it will definitely get mixed into the workout.

I know sport specific (hiking under weight, shooting with a pack, etc) is very important, but I feel that total body fitness is just as important and I think swimming can be a component in that for sure and easy on the body!

Thanks for your response

I've incorporated swimming into my cardio, but only because my daughter is on the high school swim team, so I swim laps with her when she is trying to stay in shape in the off season. Yes it is good, but I find strength training (legs, core) to be AS important as cardio. However, I live and work out at 5k so the impact of being at 8k (where I hunt) is not quite as dramatic as it is for someone coming from sea-level.

Surfing. Better workout than I could possibly voluntarily do in the pool or gym. If you aren't near a beach you can kayak to get similar fitness, but unless you are paddling up river it is tough to push yourself as hard as you do everytime you go surfing.

Last edited:

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I swim and bike, no running really. Trying to save my knees mainly. I do know that between swimming and biking that when I do decide to run I can usually do so around a 7:30 minute mile for at least 5 miles on a good day. Slow for a lot of guys, but for someone that doesn't run routinely anymore I think it's pretty respectable. And I know when I play sports like basketball or ultimate frisbee (yes, feel free to laugh) I have the endurance to play harder, longer than other guys. by a long shot and all I do is swim and bike (road and mountain).

That being said, swimming definitely doesn't condition your joints or feet for exhaustive, load bearing movement. I've hurt my feet before trying to run too far after not having run much at all for a while. Hauling a pack is a whole different story as you know.

I say mix it in, maybe even focus on it. I think a guy can get into pretty respectable shape through hard swimming and biking (I really enjoy biking, but swimming is probably a better workout for me most of the time), ab workouts/calisthenics, and training with a weighted pack. Hardest thing for us who don't live in the mountains is, and always will be, not training at altitude.

brsnow

WKR
Super valuable. Swimming, biking, and Pilates keep me elk season ready all year.

Swimming could add another great version of cardio to your training but nothing like running miles! Another great program to get ready for hunting season is Mountain Tough if anyone needs suggestions! Great programs there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
Bumping this thread up.
I just started swimming laps a few weeks ago. (Actually a few months but got COVID very shortly after). I have never really been a swimmer, but am learning. Great workout, and if you focus on it for a few weeks (watch technique videos, and swim 3 times a week) the amount of improvement you can get is amazing. Of course starting at zero leave lots of room for quick gains too!
It is amazing how after a half hour, and feel like most of it I just stood there catching my breath, I get out of the pool and can hardly stand up I am so gassed.

Ten Bears

WKR
I swim on our lake with the dog nearly every morning in the summer. When the bugs get bad on the trails here I can’t stand rucking everyday. It’s a nice break and man does is burn the calories. Keeps the old dog in shape too for bird season. From tonight after work.

Last edited:

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I swim on our lake with the dog nearly every morning in the summer. When the bugs get bad on the trails here I can’t stand rucking everyday. It’s a nice break and man does is burn the calories. Keeps the old dog in shape too for bird season. From tonight after work.

View attachment 423976
Same story for me. Just not nearly as disciplined as the dog. My 8yr old GSP goes from sixty-ish pounds after the winter months to under 50 during the summer. Literally have to drag her out of the water daily. I should probably follow suit!

Attachments

• F552EF70-CCF3-407B-A511-BABA7E773FF4.jpeg
    F552EF70-CCF3-407B-A511-BABA7E773FF4.jpeg
    990.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 9D53666C-566C-4090-8928-8FA3657053C5.jpeg
    9D53666C-566C-4090-8928-8FA3657053C5.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 22

Vaultman

WKR
I used to run a lot. But swimming is a whole different discipline. When I was running in HS coach would always say to 'relax', but when swimming I am to nervous about not being able to breathe whenever I want to relax. That and you are working almost every major muscle in the body.
It is making me believe that swimmers have a mental toughness that is beyond most athletes.