Anyone train with a GoRuck pack?

Loper

WKR
Wondering if anyone trains with a GoRuck pack. Apparently they are American made, ultra durable, and use heavy plates for weight, but they aren’t made for backcountry hunting. The company is veteran owned and they offer lifetime warranties on their gear.

I think it makes sense to train/hike/ruck with the bag you are going to be hunting with so that you get as comfortable as possible with it. However, my buddy just recently got a GoRuck pack simply for training. His logic is he doesn’t want to mess up his costly hunting pack.

Do you think the strategy of training with a different bag is a good or bad idea?

zacattack

WKR
I just strap sand bags to my frame that I would use for hunting/camping. Don’t see any reason to buy one just for training.

sram9102

WKR
I got into the whole goruck scene in college and a few years after. Did probably a dozen of their events and had a few bags. They were made in the USA sometime ago but I don't believe they are currently. They don't carry weight anything like a frame pack does. I'll throw a 25 pound plate in mine from time to time to walk the dogs but it would be rough to carry 40 to 50 pounds in one for long. Good way to train your traps though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Will it really wear out a quality hunting backpack to carry it on your back with some weight in it? "Train with what you use" works best for me.

I use my USA made Exo with a 50 pound bag of salt. Had a total knee replacement in July, so another few months before I go any heavier.

Vandy321

WKR
I doubt a heavy sandbag is going to "mess up" a quality hunting frame. If it does, it's probably not a quality hunting frame.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a hunting frame you don't have to use any bag (not sure there would be any undo harm to a well made bag anyways)- strap it the frame and go.

One of the big benefits of using the frame you're hunting with for training is you'll quickly become an expert on properly adjusting it to the weight you're carrying.

zacattack

WKR
With a hunting frame you don't have to use any bag (not sure there would be any undo harm to a well made bag anyways)- strap it the frame and go.

One of the big benefits of using the frame you're hunting with for training is you'll quickly become an expert on properly adjusting it to the weight you're carrying.
^^^^this is the truth, after several weeks of 3 to 4 days a week training with my frame I can just throw it in and go

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Thanks for the replies. This all makes sense to me. He tried to convince me to buy one of their rucks but I told him I’m good with strapping sandbags to my hunting pack.

After asking more questions about how he’s been rucking (before the new GoRuck pack) he said he just throws a dumbbell in the bag if his hunting pack. This has caused a tear in his bag and prompted him to buy the GoRuck to prevent any further damage to his hunting bag. I guess he never thought of just using the frame and sand/salt bags.

zacattack

WKR
You’d be surprised at how much a set of compression straps will hold. I’ve got a 45 lb sand bag held to my frame by 2 with no problem.

I did a few of the GR events, and have one of their packs that I bought to train with.

I ended up using my hunting rigs at the GR events instead. My hunting pack(SO) is so much better than the GR packs for exercising, that justifying the GR just made no sense.

I train with a pack all winter(end of season until May long) almost every day. I would rather smash up my SO(which hasn't happened yet) and buy another than to use a GR.

If I really wanted a low cost backup to strictly train with, I would watch the exchange and buy whatever framed big name pack someone else is throwing out.

That said, the GR I have is good looking bag. I used to use it for a carry on.

Nwmod39

FNG
I have a gr2 that I use for workouts, hiking, work, and goruck/spartan endurance events.

I love it as I can take it anywhere and when traveling I can pack a couple days worth of clothes.

I got super lucky and snagged the gr2 for 150$ slightly used.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I did a Goruck Heavy with one of their packs a couple years ago, so did a lot of training with it leading up to the event. It's a good durable pack for sure, but now I just train with my SO pack and sand. And if you're worried about damaging the pack or frame from sharp edges or plastic, just wrap the sand with something soft like an old blanket.

drchesler

FNG
All your buddy’s supporting points about quality apply to a quality hunting pack, including the warranty.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I didn't find the GoRuck pack to be particularly comfortable. It rests all the weight directly on your shoulders (which I guess if you're trying to train shoulders is alright.) It felt pretty bombproof, but so does my Kifaru. I didn't like how the shoulder straps sat on my shoulders either. I just use the same hunting pack for training. Go a bag of sand, that I ran about a whole roll of duct tape around, to make it more durable, and I just strap the bag to my frame.