Anyone tried carnivore?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I've always been skeptical of fad diets. After two years of tracking macros and working out with poor results I decided to give it a try. Despite adequate protein intake, every time I was in a caloric deficit to cut my strength would absolutely plumet and I would continually have DOMs the whole time, regardless of how I varied intensity and frequency.

I'm still skeptical of the healthiness of this diet. My LDL definitely shot way up (along with HDL), but it sounds like this may not be an issue in some newer research. What was really surprising to me is that after having a BP consistently in the 140's most of my life it dropped to 120/78. And I was salting the hell out of everything. In 28 days I went from 19.7% BF to 11.3%, stopped having any DOMs, my strength stopped crashing, and my gut actually vastly improved. Instead of feeling like a diabetic eating a meal prep every 2-3 hours and getting hangry in between I was now completely satiated for 12+ hours between meals. Instead of a cooler with a bunch of meals to go out for a day I could now throw a ribeye in a ziplock and be set.

Anyone else tried it?

bdan68

WKR
Yes! Been doing it for almost a year and a half. I'm 54 years old and have never felt better. My weight is back to what I was in high school, yet I've got more muscle than I've ever had. Only doing a 20 to 30 minute dumbbell workout at home 3 to 4 times a week for exercise. And a little hiking on the weekends. My diet is mostly steak, ground meat, and eggs. Most days two meals a day, but some days only one.

dtrkyman

WKR
I did it briefly for the hell of it, 2 weeks I think. All I ate was whitetail, some beef ribeye and I had eggs for breakfast.

Felt great, did'nt lose much weight but i am quite lean anyway, basically just got bored with it, I like to eat virtually anything.

*zap*

WKR
I would see how you do with clean one ingredient carbs before I eliminated them completely. Stuff like oatmeal, black beans and sweet potatoes. I am eating high fat, high protein and lower carbs right now..all clean natural foods.

Seeknelk

WKR
I would see how you do with clean one ingredient carbs before I eliminated them completely. Stuff like oatmeal, black beans and sweet potatoes. I am eating high fat, high protein and lower carbs right now..all clean natural foods.
Or add fruit as needed if you start to get tapped for energy. Often, several weeks in, energy levels drop considerably. Fruit agrees with most stomachs very well. And I have a feeling that digestion issues are the main thing you fixed. It's very likely the constant assault of grains or other foods that your digestive system isn't dialed for cause a lot of problems and you've eliminated those issues. Seed oils is one of the main culprits in today's food. Anyway, yes ,I do very well on mostly beef and some fruit.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Or add fruit as needed if you start to get tapped for energy. Often, several weeks in, energy levels drop considerably. Fruit agrees with most stomachs very well. And I have a feeling that digestion issues are the main thing you fixed. It's very likely the constant assault of grains or other foods that your digestive system isn't dialed for cause a lot of problems and you've eliminated those issues. Seed oils is one of the main culprits in today's food. Anyway, yes ,I do very well on mostly beef and some fruit.
Yeah probably. For nearly two years I ate clean "one ingredient" carbs. Brown rice, oats, etc. Night and day difference without them. Apparently dairy too. I had a small glass of milk and thought I was going to die.

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
I’m really interested in doing a 2 weeks trial. I eat fairly clean but still feel like I have “carb fatigue” and want a reset. Is it reasonable to attempt this with wild game being primary meat source? Or is there not enough fat to get necessary calories.

bdan68

WKR
I’m really interested in doing a 2 weeks trial. I eat fairly clean but still feel like I have “carb fatigue” and want a reset. Is it reasonable to attempt this with wild game being primary meat source? Or is there not enough fat to get necessary calories.
You'll just have to eat a lot of extra fat to go along with the lean meat. And probably limit the amount of wild game per meal. I do about 4 ounces of steak, or up to 6 ounces max. Bacon and eggs are a good way to get extra fat. I generally only eat the egg yolks. Also, have some butter with your steak. If you like coffee, add heavy whipping cream, and butter. My ground meat from deer and elk has a lot of beef fat already added to it so I eat a lot of the ground meat and don't have to worry about adding as much fat as I do when eating the steaks. I've found I like beef steaks a couple times a week and my go to steaks are from Walmart, I get a chuck roast for $6.47/pound and cut it into steaks. It's very similar to a ribeye as far as fat content and taste, but much cheaper.

vic821

FNG
You'll just have to eat a lot of extra fat to go along with the lean meat. And probably limit the amount of wild game per meal. I do about 4 ounces of steak, or up to 6 ounces max. Bacon and eggs are a good way to get extra fat. I generally only eat the egg yolks. Also, have some butter with your steak. If you like coffee, add heavy whipping cream, and butter. My ground meat from deer and elk has a lot of beef fat already added to it so I eat a lot of the ground meat and don't have to worry about adding as much fat as I do when eating the steaks. I've found I like beef steaks a couple times a week and my go to steaks are from Walmart, I get a chuck roast for $6.47/pound and cut it into steaks. It's very similar to a ribeye as far as fat content and taste, but much cheaper.
thanks for the great info man, I might give it a 2 week run myself!

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the great info man, I might give it a 2 week run myself!
Would also suggest at least doing 3 to 4 weeks. It may take up to one week alone to enter ketosis. I didn’t really feel like I “stabilized” through all the transitions in my body until week 3.

KitsapDan

FNG
I’m late into this thread but recently into “near carnivore”. I LOVE ❤️ oats! But I rarely eat them. They experience some the most ag Chemical exposure of all commercial grain crops. There was a time I literally ate them almost every day. Now it’s like 1-2x a quarter.

KitsapDan

FNG
Chiming in here. Early 60’s. Fat ass & 6’1” tall.

On a nearly carnivore diet (sometimes my days go haywire, and every day I have some 85% dark chocolate) I’ve lost 13lbs+ over the past 50 days.

I eat beef, chicken, salmon, eggs, bacon, cold cuts, hard cheese (the aged smoked Gouda from Costco is to die for!), sausages, avocado 🥑 occasionally. I also have almonds, and occasional walnuts or pistachios. Unless I have a weak day (usually when presented with food away from home so I try to always eat at home), what carbs enter my diet come from nuts or Green & Black 85% Dark Chocolate.

Most days my carbs are under 40g. Some under 30g.

I’ve tried other diets or meal plans and was often hungry. With carnivore, I’m rarely hungry. Best part is I pretty much love everything I eat, and really don’t miss other foods much. Though I was grabbing 4-5 wild blackberries every day this fall while walking.

Most people can do fairly well on most diets if they stick to them. The key is finding something you can stick to for longer than a few weeks. For me personally, this really works. I’m not “hardcore”, and I AM getting the slow, measured weight loss I was looking for…

A few benefits I’ve noticed:

—my BP has dropped from ~128/86 to ~ 110/74. But then I also got divorced so that eliminated a stressor in my life too, though it added others.

—I don’t really get carb cravings. I do get particular food cravings, like I indulge an occasional brownie, but I could care less if I eat any bread, pizza, pasta, sugary candy etc.

—having some good fatty food around really helps kill hunger, and most days I’m doing 2 meals now.

This is not really all that hard to do, though I personally did not jump in “cold Turkey”. I weaned my carbs down from ~120g/day over a few weeks.

Personally I think this might be the easiest food “lifestyle” I’ve ever tried. Don’t think I’ll quit this one.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody looked at research on the effects of eating so much meat on the prostate. Such as prostate cancer or things like that they often attribute to heavy meat consumption. I currently eat pretty clean. Bacon, eggs, protein shake for breakfast, meat and salad for lunch, and a meat with nuts, veggie for dinner. My dad also loves meat but is in his late 50s and concerned about prostate cancer and the effects of eating so much red meat. What have you guys learned?

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Chiming in here. Early 60’s. Fat ass & 6’1” tall.

On a nearly carnivore diet (sometimes my days go haywire, and every day I have some 85% dark chocolate) I’ve lost 13lbs+ over the past 50 days.

I eat beef, chicken, salmon, eggs, bacon, cold cuts, hard cheese (the aged smoked Gouda from Costco is to die for!), sausages, avocado 🥑 occasionally. I also have almonds, and occasional walnuts or pistachios. Unless I have a weak day (usually when presented with food away from home so I try to always eat at home), what carbs enter my diet come from nuts or Green & Black 85% Dark Chocolate.

Most days my carbs are under 40g. Some under 30g.

I’ve tried other diets or meal plans and was often hungry. With carnivore, I’m rarely hungry. Best part is I pretty much love everything I eat, and really don’t miss other foods much. Though I was grabbing 4-5 wild blackberries every day this fall while walking.

Most people can do fairly well on most diets if they stick to them. The key is finding something you can stick to for longer than a few weeks. For me personally, this really works. I’m not “hardcore”, and I AM getting the slow, measured weight loss I was looking for…

A few benefits I’ve noticed:

—my BP has dropped from ~128/86 to ~ 110/74. But then I also got divorced so that eliminated a stressor in my life too, though it added others.

—I don’t really get carb cravings. I do get particular food cravings, like I indulge an occasional brownie, but I could care less if I eat any bread, pizza, pasta, sugary candy etc.

—having some good fatty food around really helps kill hunger, and most days I’m doing 2 meals now.

This is not really all that hard to do, though I personally did not jump in “cold Turkey”. I weaned my carbs down from ~120g/day over a few weeks.

Personally I think this might be the easiest food “lifestyle” I’ve ever tried. Don’t think I’ll quit this one.

My experience and observation has basically jived with all of this. I can go all day and not get hungry, exercise hard when fasted, even after 24 hours. It's a huge benefit to not have energy crashes or get hangry.

I've been extremely meat heavy for 4.5 years now.
I spent about 3.5 years as a 95% carnivore (with some wild blueberries, occasional dark chocolate), and the last year slipped to only 80-90% carnivore. Can't imagine going back to a high carb diet, though I'm not strictly against carbs. The fewer carbs I eat, the less I care about them.

I'm doing a lot of zone 1 and zone 2 cardio lately. I can have 100-200 grams of carbs a day, but 50 grams or less (or zero) are fine.

Also, after a lifetime of struggling against being overweight, staying lean is now effortless at age 47, and has been the last few years.

Watch what I eat? Hah! I eat until I'm full, and watch the steak and fat go into my mouth and think to myself "yum".

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
My experience and observation has basically jived with all of this. I can go all day and not get hungry, exercise hard when fasted, even after 24 hours. It's a huge benefit to not have energy crashes or get hangry.

I've been extremely meat heavy for 4.5 years now.
I spent about 3.5 years as a 95% carnivore (with some wild blueberries, occasional dark chocolate), and the last year slipped to only 80-90% carnivore. Can't imagine going back to a high carb diet, though I'm not strictly against carbs. The fewer carbs I eat, the less I care about them.

I'm doing a lot of zone 1 and zone 2 cardio lately. I can have 100-200 grams of carbs a day, but 50 grams or less (or zero) are fine.

Also, after a lifetime of struggling against being overweight, staying lean is now effortless at age 47, and has been the last few years.

Watch what I eat? Hah! I eat until I'm full, and watch the steak and fat go into my mouth and think to myself "yum".

How is your cholesterol? Even going elk/venison-heavy without adding substantial fats had my cholesterol creeping up after a year.

Matthew72

FNG
I've never used carbs for an energy boost. Interesting. I'm curious if you just like the boast or if you need it for the intensity of your workouts. Also I have a question. On the carnivore diet I consume a bunch of salt but my muscle cramps are horrible. Any advice

*zap*

WKR
Your body needs fuel to do intense exercise. It can pump/dump glucose to fuel things but sugar/carbs in your bloodstream can also do the trick.

"How Carbohydrates Fuel Exercise Complex carbohydrates are an efficient source of energy that fuels muscle contractions. Once eaten, carbs are broken down into smaller sugars (glucose, fructose, and galactose) to be used as energy for immediate tasks. Any unused glucose is converted into glycogen and stored in the muscles and liver for future use."

If you fuel your intense workouts then your not going to need as many hours to replace glucose stores...

I have never done any of the popular diets. I eat according to what I need for my body and also what I may enjoy occasionally.