Anyone tried Leupold sunglasses?

Loper

WKR
I may be looking for a new pair of sunglasses soon.

Before kids I always had a pair of decent sunglasses. I had a number of different brands, but Smith was my preferred brand as they weren't ridiculously expensive and had an excellent warranty. I sent several pairs back after experiencing delamination on the plastic and they'd send me a new pair, no questions asked. Once I started having kids, my sunglasses would always get ripped off my face or neck and either dropped or chewed on. After I lost my last pair of Smiths, I decided to just buy cheap sunglasses until my kids got old enough that I didn't have to hold or carry them around where they'd have a chance to grab them off my face.

I like Smiths and may just get another pair, but figured I'd check out some other brands as well.

Anyone tried a pair of Leupold sunglasses? I looked around on here and only found one review from a general sunglasses thread. Are the lenses and frames durable? Would you recommend them over any other sunglasses at a similar price point?

Anyone know if these are actually made by Leupold here in the states, or are they just outsourced to China or some other country like so many other brands?

I tried them out but ended up buying another pair of smiths. I was going to have to pay 75% of the price of smiths for a pair of leupolds, and in the end I figured I didn’t want to gamble with a lesser quality pair. Just get the Smiths man, that chromapop is so nice.

I have a pair of leupolds. I bought them after losing my smiths because they advertised them being ANSI certified for safety so I could wear em at construction jobsites. Turns out that’s only one model and the ones I bought aren’t but they have worked fine.

They got knocked off my head when I was being swarmed by bees when spraying a food plot last august and I didn’t find them again until May so they sat out in the elements through a MN winter. I don’t think the lenses came through it 100% but good enough that I still happily wear them. I don’t know that I’d recommend em over smiths but so far so good.

TheTone

WKR
I tried them out but ended up buying another pair of smiths. I was going to have to pay 75% of the price of smiths for a pair of leupolds, and in the end I figured I didn’t want to gamble with a lesser quality pair. Just get the Smiths man, that chromapop is so nice.
My wife just got me some smiths with the chromapop lense. Absolutely love them! Even more than my costa that I swore were my favorite ever

Scorpion

WKR
I have 3-4 pairs of Leupold sunglasses, they are very nice. Would highly recommend, some of the best poly lenses as far as scratch resistance.

I like them as much as my glass Costas for most situations.

Sunglasses are made in USA to my knowledge.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Leopolds, first glasses I’ve bought and actually use. Super comfortable and light.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Thank you for the feedback. I'll take a look at the Leupold models, and what they are priced at. If I don't like their styles or price point, I may just go with Smiths and get the chromapop that so many of you guys recommend.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a pair of leupolds. I bought them after losing my smiths because they advertised them being ANSI certified for safety so I could wear em at construction jobsites. Turns out that’s only one model and the ones I bought aren’t but they have worked fine.

They got knocked off my head when I was being swarmed by bees when spraying a food plot last august and I didn’t find them again until May so they sat out in the elements through a MN winter. I don’t think the lenses came through it 100% but good enough that I still happily wear them. I don’t know that I’d recommend em over smiths but so far so good.
I lost a pair of sunglasses hunting one year, and found them the next and they were fine. I forget what make , but they were pretty nice ..and were fine after a year at 11,000 .

Kevin

I have 3-4 pairs of Leupold sunglasses, they are very nice. Would highly recommend, some of the best poly lenses as far as scratch resistance.

I will agree that they have been good for plastic lenses as far as scratch resistance goes. My last pair of smith chromapop lenses were pretty shot by the time I lost them.

I’ve had 6 or so pairs of costas (mostly glass lenses) and a couple Maui Jims. Side by side I don’t think you can beat the glass lenses for clarity but they get uncomfortable to me with the weight. I like the smith and leupold glasses for comfort and that’s what id look at for the next pair too.

andy57

FNG
I have 2 pair,One pair of the safety spec that I have wore daily to work for two years.Very tough, durable,and fit well. I would definitely buy again,I would have to look to see which model.They do meet ANZI safety spec.

Scorpion

WKR
The Packout and Switchback are both Z87 rated, I wear them both for work. There are one or two other models that are also compliant, more of a full wrap design as opposed to Oakley Frog Skins or Ray Ban Wayfarers.

You like luppy poly over costa 580 glass?

Scorpion

WKR
Depends on the situation, I go back and forth between the two. I would definitely give the edge to Costa glass for clarity, but I like the Leupold’s for work, shooting, hunting. I don’t feel as bad chewing through a pair of $150 glasses as I do 580G. I wear my 580’s mostly for fishing and driving.

The Leupold poly lenses are more scratch resistant from my experience than the 580P Costas.

gtriple

WKR
I have 2 pairs and love em. Got em pretty cheap though (half price each).

I just found Bajio sunglasses. Looks like it was an offshoot from Costa seems like pretty high quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitch

WKR
I just listed a pair in the classifieds.
They are sharp and clear, but I have a goofy face shape and these (a gift) don’t quite fit me right.

Seen them in the stores and they look nice. Didn't realize they made a couple Z87 rated as well. Good to know!

I just found Bajio sunglasses. Looks like it was an offshoot from Costa seems like pretty high quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Costa was purchased by Luxotica (eyeglass monopoly). Bajio is the former costa operators new company from what I understand.