Anyone try Maven 7x28?

Blue72

WKR
My beloved Nikon 7x20 binoculars I use for traveling have been stolen

I am a huge 7x fan due to the stable views, especially on the go.

but not many compact 7x binoculars on the market anymore. Everything went 8x which is not the same

thinking of pulling the trigger on the maven 7x28…Any experienced users care to give feedback on these

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I haven’t got to use them, but I’m with you on 7X. I used them in Zeiss for years and really liked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Take a look at the specs on Kowa 6.5x32’s. Love them to keep in the truck and for hunting in thicker areas.

I have a set of the C.2 7x28mm I got for my wife and I take em out when turkey hunting instead of my bigger heavier, B.1 10x42 and AGC bino harness with rangefinder and all that. Super light and the glass is better than I expected for $200 binos. At 12oz I hang them around my neck with a piece of paracord instead of the strap.

I paid $175 on special at a show. Well worth the money.

OP
Blue72

Blue72

WKR
Take a look at the specs on Kowa 6.5x32’s. Love them to keep in the truck and for hunting in thicker areas.

Almost bought them. But, I tried them at camera land. The glass didn’t wow me. Maybe it was a bad sample.

Plus I’m looking for something more compact. The 7x28 is already a step up in size from my 7x20

OP
Blue72

Blue72

WKR
I have a set of the C.2 7x28mm I got for my wife and I take em out when turkey hunting instead of my bigger heavier, B.1 10x42 and AGC bino harness with rangefinder and all that. Super light and the glass is better than I expected for $200 binos. At 12oz I hang them around my neck with a piece of paracord instead of the strap.

I paid $175 on special at a show. Well worth the money.

I’m concerned with the 7x28 AFOV. Do they have more of a “tunnel effect” Compared to the 10x42?

I’m concerned with the 7x28 AFOV. Do they have more of a “tunnel effect” Compared to the 10x42?

I just took them both out back and looked through them side by side. The Fov is nearly the same between the 10x42 and the 7x28

Here is the c.2 7x28 next to my 10x42

These were taken on my iPhone held up to the binos with eye cups fully extended. No phone zoom

10x42

a015f4a100719e8994bf4603e630f9e8.jpg

7x28

f66d01b930a39d667219795211b7bc8e.jpg

JRMiller

WKR
Tried a pair next to a vortex DB HD 8x32.
They were both equal in very way except for things:
1) the focus knob on the mavin bugged me a lot-as it was very stiff, just like my CS1 10x42. Takes two fingers to adjust and getting a quick view is a bit long because of it
2) Maven was the clear winner in weight at just 14oz.
3) The Mavin doesn't have a standard threaded tripod adaptor, the DBs do.

If i had the money i would of kept both, but i opted to keep the diamondbacks mainly for the smooth focus knob.

Thanks for the pics, greatly appreciated

Hope that helps, don’t let the image quality effect your choice too much, neither pic is focused very well. I was just trying to capture the comparative FOV.

My eyes are still jacked up, I went to the ER on Tuesday with a coronial abrasion and trying to get the both the binos and phone focused was not happening.

OP
Blue72

Blue72

WKR
Hope that helps, don’t let the image quality effect your choice too much, neither pic is focused very well. I was just trying to capture the comparative FOV.

My eyes are still jacked up, I went to the ER on Tuesday with a coronial abrasion and trying to get the both the binos and phone focused was not happening.

I figured as much. I ordered the binoculars to try them out myself. I should get them tomorrow. Thanks again for your feedback

OP
Blue72

Blue72

WKR
Got the Mavens 7x28 a few days ago. I’m pretty impressed

-These have a feel of really well built binoculars and I owned a lot of binoculars over the years.
  • these are very comfortable to look through. So comfortable I never felt tired looking through them handheld, they felt like a natural part of my vision. I contribute this to the 7x magnification which are more stable then 8x and the 4 mm exit pupil which is rare to see in pocket binoculars
  • These binoculars are compact enough to fit in my pockets. Yes they fill the pocket but they lay flat and don’t hamper my mobility. I like the flat design over trifold pocket binoculars which cause a uncomfortable bulge in your pocket
  • The optics are sharp and the colors are very neutral. Which many like. I normally prefer the warm saturated colors you see through Nikons, but the mavens are more true to real life. Although the Nikon feel slightly more three dimensional. The main reason I prefer the maven is the stable view of 7x. I can’t stress enough how much better 7x is compared to 8x for long term handholding
  • Overlooking my beach I could easily see people and dogs over a mile away. While image scale is smaller then my 10x binoculars. The stable views make it easier to observe them
  • These will primarily be my travel binoculars. With the 7x28 only costing $200. I won’t cry as much if they get stolen, like my last pocket binoculars that was swiped from me.
  • Even though these are pocket binoculars, they perform way better in the dark compared to other 8x25 binoculars I’ve tried
  • Focus wheel is a pleasure to use, a little to quick. But you adjust to the speed over time. Plus with 7x, depth of field is greater so less adjustment is needed after you set it.
  • I believe Maven is very conservative on field of view because they seem wider then other binoculars I have with the same advertised field of view
  • Putting these binoculars on a monopod and you swear they are on a tripod, another benefit of 7x.
  • There is some distortion in the lens, but center is sharp and ÇA is low.